Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any of you hate dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

Its people who make presumptions and judgements yet make no effort to see what dublin has to offer that gets me. I had a brick thrown through my window in waterford but i dont slag people from there and call them all scumbags. My bag was nicked in wexford a couple of wks ago. Again it happens you cant tar everyone with the same brush. Yet apparenty all Dubs are knackers?! Anyway Jaffa if you want some advice on where to go or what to do then pm me, im happy to help but dont complain if you wont even try!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Top 50 best places in the world to live in 2008 -

http://www.citymayors.com/features/quality_survey.html

No sign of Cork, or anywhere else in Ireland for that matter.

I still never understand how we get in that list. How are we ahead of Brisbane, Seattle, Portland, Hamburg etc??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

There would obviously be entry requirements to the list..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Aye Matey!

How can we be Irish when we divide and conflict ourselves by county?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Aye Matey! wrote: »
    How can we be Irish when we divide and conflict ourselves by county?

That's what being Irish means :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    I still never understand how we get in that list. How are we ahead of Brisbane, Seattle, Portland, Hamburg etc??

Because Brisbane is a dull city with pretty much feck all in it? To have a good time over there you need to go either up north or down south. The city itself is crap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

So would you say Perth is worse then Sydney or Melbourne?
    I dont understand how Auckland is so high as I dont know anybody that has said a good word about it.

Anyway I do agree, as cities go Dublin is kinda $hit! I dont know anybody who works there that wants to settle there. The hastles of a big city but non of the advantages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

jank wrote: »
    I dont understand how Auckland is so high as I dont know anybody that has said a good word about it.

Anyway I do agree, as cities go Dublin is kinda $hit! I dont know anybody who works there that wants to settle there. The hastles of a big city but non of the advantages.

ill be staying, you must be in a rubbish location...

Student by any chance...

cause yuo clearly havent seen the whole of dublin... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

jank wrote: »

Never been to either so can't comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

i hate all of Dublin except Dublin 2 haha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

I lived in Galway, Cork, Dublin & Limerick. Galway and Cork are the best by far. Limerick is not half as bad as people suggest, if you could get rid of the scum bags it'd be up there with Cork and Galway.

Dublin is a depressing horribly over priced nasty city. It doesnt feel like you are in Ireland in parts of it. You could well be in a UK city which is terribly depressing in itself.

Paying €6 and €7 for a pint of Guiness to have the "Craic". Transport is awful in the city. A bus is the only public transport to and from the airport bar the ridiculously over priced taxi's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

That ridiculous poll has Dublin ahead of London, Paris and New York City. Anyone who has been to these cities will surely testify thats a load of balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

Dublin would be ok if you could get rid of the dubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,343 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Because Brisbane is a dull city with pretty much feck all in it? To have a good time over there you need to go either up north or down south. The city itself is crap.

thats why luxembourg is so high so, nobody on the streets on saturday night or nowhere to go ;) for most irish people luxembourg would seem the dullest place in europe

Hey Rossie are you a Northsider or a Southsider?
    I will judge you on this btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

BraziliaNZ wrote: »

Brisbane is a yawn (Perth ftw) and I'm not surprised Dublin beats Paris, I've lived in both, would take Dublin anyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Ha ha thats the greatest list ever. I thought i'd never see anything as amusing as the one - liners on the humour forum but that list topped it. I can genuinely say i'd rather live under a rock on the shetland islands. than live in Dublin.

Actually since Dublin got 25 maybe we should start a petition and get my rock on the shetland islands number 1 next year. Anything can happen as its already been proven

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I'll see your list, and raise you a few links.

http://www.lesliegilmour.com/2008/03/14/some-days-i-hate-dublin/#comments

http://www.robertherring.com/2006/11/14/the-crown-pub/

http://paulkun.deviantart.com/journal/3091845/

and a quote.

It is possible to love Ireland and hate Dublin, as George Bernard Shaw claimed to do. "My sentimental regard for Ireland does not include the capital"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭RealEstateKing

of course, but it's the only dump in the country: There's nothing else in Ireland worthy of the name 'city'. Ireland is a country with one city and a bunch of medium to small sized towns in it.

I think if you're married , and settled down and have few ambitions beyond living out the rest of your life, the rest of the country is a nice tranquil place to do it in. If, however, you're young, single and have ambitions in some field or another (particularly creative ones), you have to live in Dublin, cause its the only place big enough to provide you with the possibility.

It's major problem is that high rents have hollowed out it's centre, so that only high turnover businesses can afford to be there: Good cities usually have second-hand bookshops, scruffy record stores, cheap pubs, gig venues, and areas with cheap rental available. Dublin doesnt have any of these things anymore in any quantity: The City Centre is the same big chain stores you'll find anywhere else in the world, for a cheap eat, McDonalds is your only option, and there is a depressingly work-aday feeling about the place: It feels as if everybody is on their way to work and nobody is actually doing anything interesting with themselves.

The major leisure activity seems to be getting arseholed, which has the desired effect of making Irish people think they're following in the great literary tradition of spouting drunken ****e a la Brendan Behan, when actually they are just spouting drunken ****e.

Dublin likes to think of itself as a great European capital of culture in the mould of Paris, London or Rome, when really it's comparable to say Sheffield or at a push , Birmingham. Hopefully the economic crash will bring things back to earth and allow us to see it for what it is: A cosy kittle dump where little of interest ever happens, so you rely on good friends and better conversation to see you through. If you want a shopping centred Sex-in-The-City lifestyle, or a literary world of sparkling repartee and dazzling culture well, um, move somewhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The Mighty Ken

of course, but it's the only dump in the country: There's nothing else in Ireland worthy of the name 'city'. Ireland is a country with one city and a bunch of medium to small sized towns in it.

I think if you're married , and settled down and have few ambitions beyond living out the rest of your life, the rest of the country is a nice tranquil place to do it in. If, however, you're young, single and have ambitions in some field or another (particularly creative ones), you have to live in Dublin, cause its the only place big enough to provide you with the possibility.

It's major problem is that high rents have hollowed out it's centre, so that only high turnover businesses can afford to be there: Good cities usually have second-hand bookshops, scruffy record stores, cheap pubs, gig venues, and areas with cheap rental available. Dublin doesnt have any of these things anymore in any quantity: The City Centre is the same big chain stores you'll find anywhere else in the world, for a cheap eat, McDonalds is your only option, and there is a depressingly work-aday feeling about the place: It feels as if everybody is on their way to work and nobody is actually doing anything interesting with themselves.

The major leisure activity seems to be getting arseholed, which has the desired effect of making Irish people think they're following in the great literary tradition of spouting drunken ****e a la Brendan Behan, when actually they are just spouting drunken ****e.

Dublin likes to think of itself as a great European capital of culture in the mould of Paris, London or Rome, when really it's comparable to say Sheffield or at a push , Birmingham. Hopefully the economic crash will bring things back to earth and allow us to see it for what it is: A cosy kittle dump where little of interest ever happens, so you rely on good friends and better conversation to see you through. If you want a shopping centred Sex-in-The-City lifestyle, or a literary world of sparkling repartee and dazzling culture well, um, move somewhere else.

1. People who 'hate' Dublin are idiots
    2. People who think that being a Dubliner or living in Dublin somehow makes you a sophisticated, classy, cosmopolitan city-dweller are idiots
    3. People who can't wait for the recession to kick-in fully in order to 'bring people back to earth' or 'put manners on them' are idiots.
    That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Unaton

It's easy to spot and rant at the negative things :) Sure Dublin ain't perfect but to say that you hate it? It's not like the city has raped your children...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

jaffa20 wrote: »
    I'm just sick of it to be honest. There is no more atmosphere. I hate the expense of overpriced rent for just living close to work. As soon as i have my full license, i am out of here and moving to the country. I'd rather avoid overcrowded, overpriced, over knackery dublin life. It just has become so depressing in recent years. Sorry for generalising but this is really for those who just live in dublin because they work here. If i was offered the same job in the country,i would take it like that to avoid all the hustle and bussle of the mundane and repetition of living in a never ending cycle. :(:P:D

It depends were you live in Dublin. Tell us what area you live in so we can make a judgement. As for Dublin been overcrowded? You haven't been out of the country much have you? London makes Dublin seem sparse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

1. People who 'hate' Dublin are idiots
    2. People who think that being a Dubliner or living in Dublin somehow makes you a sophisticated, classy, cosmopolitan city-dweller are idiots
    3. People who can't wait for the recession to kick-in fully in order to 'bring people back to earth' or 'put manners on them' are idiots.
    That is all.
    "Giz a blo o' yer joint or I'll kick deh bollix off yeh"
    "Fcukin' recession ,deh dole won't be as good as it was durin' deh boom"
    "Any odds fer deh bus ,I need to get a new hoodie an give someone a straightner on deh 77A"

Dublin say no more

btw im from Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Come on its Dublin and its full of dubs, enough said.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,343 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Good cities usually have second-hand bookshops, scruffy record stores, cheap pubs, gig venues, and areas with cheap rental available.

great thing galway has plenty of those things, all in a small town :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

yeah its terrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

I like Dublin but haven't lived anywhere else

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

ill be staying, you must be in a rubbish location...

Student by any chance...

cause yuo clearly havent seen the whole of dublin...

D9 which isnt too bad a location but thats just me. I was a student but I also worked there for a bit. So what is this big mystery that I havent seen yet that makes it such a great place.

Dublin is what it is. I think the post by RealEstateKing sums it up nicely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I like Dublin but haven't lived anywhere else

Well by the sound of all the card carrying idiots in this thread you're

A) a west brit who doesn't understand what it means to be Irish
    B) ignorant
    C) filthy
    D) a scumbag who's name is either anto or deco

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement