Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tattoos

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

Davidius wrote: »
    I really don't like the idea of body modification. I simply can't see why anybody would do it. Not one reason that I could properly understand, it's just weird.
    Also the sight of piercings makes me feel sick, especially the more odd ones. :(

Well for most people it's for the aesthetic value, a sense of indiviluality or that that modification symbolises something dear to them. It's not everybodies cup of tea and thats fair enough! :) Why do piercings make you sick though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

Davidius wrote: »
    I really don't like the idea of body modification. I simply can't see why anybody would do it. Not one reason that I could properly understand, it's just weird.

Also the sight of piercings makes me feel sick, especially the more odd ones. :(

remind me to avoid you if we ever meet in person...
    eep really?
    i love swiming during the summer...damnit!

haha, i surf, but the water in christchurch is cleaner than anywhere the east coast of ireland. keeps them pretty clean, but man, do they take effort. i've one on my nape, and two on the front of my neck (which probably ownt last, but they were a fun experiment while they lasted).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

haha, i surf, but the water in christchurch is cleaner than anywhere the east coast of ireland. keeps them pretty clean, but man, do they take effort. i've one on my nape, and two on the front of my neck (which probably ownt last, but they were a fun experiment while they lasted).

yeah i surf in donegal every summer but i suppose salt water wouldnt be that bad for them.
    oooh the front of the neck.ive never seen any like that did they hurt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Kersmash wrote: »
    Why do piercings make you sick though?
    No idea. I just can't look at them without feeling at least a tiny bit nauseous. :o

If you ever see a link to a site called bme, be sure not to click so sir :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

If you ever see a link to a site called bme, be sure not to click so sir :)

Skin removal ones URGH

The do look purty when theyre fresh, id say theyre hideous once healed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

Piste wrote: »
    When I was 14/15 I had this big long list of various piercings I wanted to get. Thank God I'd have to wait until I'm 18 as I want none of them now, whereas before I had my heart set on all manner of metal sticking out of me!

Same! Now all I have is my ear lobes pierced, and I'm very glad I did nothing else! I'd look so weird with metal bits and bobs everywhere!

Fad wrote: »
    Skin removal ones URGH

The do look purty when theyre fresh, id say theyre hideous once healed.

I'd agree, I think scarification looks beautiful when fresh, but alot of the time it doesn't look great healed. That said I have seen some really nice ones. It also heavily depends on the type of scarification I reckon, and if you use ash/ink rubbing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

TY, 16 year old scumbag (no other way to describe him) got the skeleton (exactly as it is in the body) onto his back, including spine, shoulderblates, the works, just like looking at an x-ray.

Fúcking muppet of the highest order.

At least it's more original than stars.

• Advertisement

I'd agree, I think scarification looks beautiful when fresh, but alot of the time it doesn't look great healed. That said I have seen some really nice ones. It also heavily depends on the type of scarification I reckon, and if you use ash/ink rubbing.

I know someone who had to burn an ink rubbing on her hand off with a hair straightener, not fun.

If its just an outline and done really really precisely it cant look alright long term but I doubt it happens all that often.

yeah i surf in donegal every summer but i suppose salt water wouldnt be that bad for them.
    oooh the front of the neck.ive never seen any like that did they hurt?

salt water is really good for them :)
    and soaking them with sea salt is good for them too, as am i doing right now, and most times im online :)

I know someone who had to burn an ink rubbing on her hand off with a hair straightener, not fun.

AWH CHRIST. Fupping hell. Why?! Would she not get it professionally done somewhere?

AWH CHRIST. Fupping hell. Why?! Would she not get it professionally done somewhere?

She did it herself and her mum was all WTF is that on your hand, so she had to get rid of it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Rozabeez wrote: »
    At least it's more original than stars.

Welcome Rozabeez! Are you going to introduce yourself formally? :)

She did it herself and her mum was all WTF is that on your hand, so she had to get rid of it.

That's ridiculous! Ouch..

• Advertisement

That's ridiculous! Ouch..

To be fair, if she's stupid enough to do it herself she deserved it :p

Yeah, I can understand selfpiercing to a certain extent if it's being done properly, but self scarification?! Christ.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Yeah, I can understand selfpiercing to a certain extent if it's being done properly, but self scarification?! Christ.

Yup, I can imagine counsellors wouldn't be too impressed if that hobby became more popular.

If you have a high pain threshold and have a steady hand I dont see the problem, I luckily cant draw so am at no risk of harming myself for art :p

mate of mine did it herself, looks damned cool. not something i'd recommend though, too much risk of infection.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Captain Ginger

Interesting thread.

I pretty much only post in the body mod section of this site so it was a nice suprise to see a thread of my liking in a new section.

Anyway, I really disagree with anyone under 18 getting inked, you change too much as a person, and the transition from school to college really has a massive impact on your life and the things you do and are into. I have a couple of tattoos and lots of piercings that I love, but after hearing some of the shocking ones that some people class mates got in this thread I just hope tattoo removal come along leaps and bounds for them in the next ten years or so.

I I just hope tattoo removal come along leaps and bounds for them in the next ten years or so.

Well if Michael Schofield can get his tattoo removed in one sitting............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I think people are too harsh on tatoos here but I don't disagree with anyone who thinks they should put them on an easily coverable spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I'd love to get a tattoo but there's no way I could handle the pain - I have a pathetically low pain threshold. :o

I'm not scared of needles - injections, blood tests etc. are fine. But lots of little needles repeatedly stabbing me over a long period of time - no thank you. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Jebus H. Christ, I just looked up scarification. That looks horrible! Simply for the pain of it! My god...

squigloo, tbh, it doesnt feel like many stabs by tiny needles, more just like being scraped... albeit constantly, but for the most part, they're not too bad... though that can depend on where it's being done, and how up for it your body is.

also, good post there captain finger :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

God damn it! Out of curiosity I looked up Sacfication aswell - Silly me, that is extreme, rank!

Believe me, there alot worse things you could have looked up. Implants, bisections, subincisions, nullification, tounge splitting, amongst others, the list goes on. DO NOT LOOK UP ANY OF THOSE IF YOU ARE SQUEAMISH, MEGA-NSFW!

Edit: Hope I ain't breaking any rules by mentioning them...

...tounge splitting...

DO NOT LOOK UP ANY OF THOSE IF YOU ARE SQUEAMISH, MEGA-NSFW!

Edit: Hope I ain't breaking any rules by mentioning them...

I believe that practice is now illegal in most of the United States.

BME/Wikipedia tells me it's legal with a licensed medical practitioner, but you'll never get one to do it for you, thus its a mainly underground practice, and its completely banned in the military. Dunno if thats changed though, those pages could be old.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

An Fhile wrote: »
    Welcome Rozabeez! Are you going to introduce yourself formally? :)

Nope.

Wow, I looked up scarification after seeing fonpokno's post too, not quite something I'd be into.

I believe that practice is now illegal in most of the United States.

Tbh I dont think it was ever the most legal practice.
    fonpokno wrote: »
    Jebus H. Christ, I just looked up scarification. That looks horrible! Simply for the pain of it! My god...

What about cosmetic surgery the outrageous pain and length of recovery, its pretty much the same principal.

Just scarification is without any anesthetic :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Oh cosmetic surgery is just as bad! My mother watches all those awful programmes that show you everything they do. It's all such... non-delicate stuff. I mean I wouldn't object to a boob job but only if there was some magical way of them not ripping me apart and ruining everything in the process.

And I looked up tongue splitting a while ago. There was some huge post by Will in S&S (i think) about all sorts of mad piercings and stuff. God I wish I'd never read that post. It makes my tongue feel sad.

How do they do scarification without anaesthetic?? That's horrible. Or is it all about the beautiful result from the pain or something mad like that?

Agghh *shudder* I'm goin back to bed to hide from the scary pain.

fonpokno wrote: »

And I looked up tongue splitting a while ago. There was some huge post by Will in S&S (i think) about all sorts of mad piercings and stuff. God I wish I'd never read that post. It makes my tongue feel sad.

How do they do scarification without anaesthetic?? That's horrible. Or is it all about the beautiful result from the pain or something mad like that?

Well to be fair most schlong piercings look excruciatingly painful, the one varient I cannot understand.

Well if its done with a scalpel thats ridiculously sharp I can really I imagine it being that bad. Like if you pick up a razor blade up the wrong way itll go straight through the skin of your finger, and that doesnt really hurt that much, (well at the time anyway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Have an idea for a sleeve in mind at the moment, currently having a few ideas thrown onto paper so I'm looking forward to seeing the result of that. Got a tongue piercing nearly two years ago now, but thats as far as I'm gonna go.

I don't mind tattoo on people when they actually look good, can't stand Tribal designs at all and I'm not mad on the chinese/asian oriental stuff that seems to be knocking about a lot in sleeve form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I used to want a lot more piercings than I have, but I went off the idea seeing how much the ones I have catch in things or hit on them, car doors and clothes, long grass and bushes when hunting, and all sorts. I still like the idea, and I like modification in general, but, especially considering I plan on having a military life, I'll be sticking with tattoos. Have plans for some on legs and torso, including a pretty elaborate and interesting calf piece, but I'm in no hurry.

Rozabeez wrote: »
    Nope.

Lies! :p

OT, a friend's flat-mate got an amazing design on his leg recently, it's a proper work of art. It seems slightly more worthwhile than a piece of oriental writing or other such cliché, admittedly, but the cost and pain involved were still quite off-putting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

I got into piercing when I was 17, gradually got more and more into it as time went by. When I was 21 I got my first and thus far only tattoo.

I see crumble and lady finger have already posted here but if anyone has any questions don't be afraid to post in the body mod forum or drop me or the others a PM :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Will wrote: »
    I got into piercing when I was 17, gradually got more and more into it as time went by. When I was 21 I got my first and thus far only tattoo.

I see crumble and lady finger have already posted here but if anyone has any questions don't be afraid to post in the body mod forum or drop me or the others a PM

Dude-Merry Christmas....

I could have sworn you had more than one tattoo?

We know you are the piercing king though :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

merry chrimbo to you too :)

dinner time finally!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

I have to agree with the Captain anyone found piercing/tattooing anyone under 21 should be shot.My son is in secondary and ii couldnt believe a girl of about 16 having stars on the back of her neck.Now im not one to talk i got my first tat at 17 but if my son wanted one i would make sure he waited until he knew what he wanted.And then id probably get one with him.Your taste does change the tattoos i got at 17 i ouldnt get now but at least they are small enough to be covered.Wit till you know what ou want and then go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

I've always had a vague plan to get certain lyrics on me at some stage but now I'm thinking not so much... I guess there's nothing, yet anyway, that I feel passionately enough about to know that I'll want it on my body for the rest of my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Sophisticated6y

I am hardly the only one who's noticed that every second teenage girl with a tattoo either has: star(s) or a butterfly?

ORIGINALITY PEOPLE?!

Ok now in sayin all that, I have seen some beautiful designs with stars and some lovely butterflies too. But still.
    Anyone care to guesstimate what the next fad of tattoo designs will be?
    Stars and butterflies could become old hat! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Anyone care to guesstimate what the next fad of tattoo designs will be?
    Stars and butterflies could become old hat! :eek:

I've noticed a lot of people getting things related to their star signs/ date of birth lately.
    Y'know, date of birth in roman numerals, umm, star signs in arabic.. that sort of thing.

Personally I think it's pretty stupid but sure, if it makes them happy...
    (I'm in no way anti-tattoo or anything btw, tasteful, well chosen ones ones are class!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭ACW

I recently got my first tattoo (6 months agao) I have had the design and location in mind since I was 18, thats 7 years for those who know me. I predicted that if I could still have the same idea and desire after 7 years I would never get tired or regret the tattoo.

This for the most part is true. I turned a blind eye while getting the tattoo ( I was reading with my free hand as I got it) and the artist went outside the guide lines and what I requested as he though my design was a bit plain. I have the tattoo I wanted, where I wanted, with the artist's own flair. So my advice, pay attention and make clear with the artist what you want done.

• Advertisement

bythewoods wrote: »
    I've noticed a lot of people getting things related to their star signs/ date of birth lately.
    Y'know, date of birth in roman numerals, umm, star signs in arabic.. that sort of thing.

Personally I think it's pretty stupid but sure, if it makes them happy...
    (I'm in no way anti-tattoo or anything btw, tasteful, well chosen ones ones are class!)
    Yes you personally think its stupid but you have no idea maybe that person haas been planning that tattoo for years or maybe they actually have some arabic/chinese in them.They could be unlucky that they have picked the next fad without realising it anyway tasteful,well chosen tattoos are in the eye of the beholder just cause you dont think they ar doesnt mean the people who get them done do.They obviously like them so i cant see the problem,also why do you think there are so many styles out there so theres choice.If everybody liked the same things it would be very boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

marti101 wrote: »
    Yes you personally think its stupid but you have no idea maybe that person haas been planning that tattoo for years or maybe they actually have some arabic/chinese in them.They could be unlucky that they have picked the next fad without realising it anyway tasteful,well chosen tattoos are in the eye of the beholder just cause you dont think they ar doesnt mean the people who get them done do.They obviously like them so i cant see the problem,also why do you think there are so many styles out there so theres choice.If everybody liked the same things it would be very boring.

I apologise, but seeing "April 1990" scrawled on someone's arm is not, in my opinion, tasteful. Each to their own and all that.
    I know 4 people who got their starsigns tatooed on them in Arabic, people I know well enough to say.. they are fully Irish.

Sorry if I've insulted you, I'm sure YOUR starsign looks original ;)

bythewoods wrote: »
    I apologise, but seeing "April 1990" scrawled on someone's arm is not, in my opinion, tasteful. Each to their own and all that.
    I know 4 people who got their starsigns tatooed on them in Arabic, people I know well enough to say.. they are fully Irish.

Sorry if I've insulted you, I'm sure YOUR starsign looks original ;)
    Actually it would if i had one and you didnt insult me but you have done what most people assume.You assume i had something that most people have.Maybe i have maybe i havent but you have just proved your own ignorance.What tattoos i have /havent got is noodys business but my own.

marti101 wrote: »
    Actually it would if i had one and you didnt insult me but you have done what most people assume.You assume i had something that most people have.Maybe i have maybe i havent but you have just proved your own ignorance.What tattoos i have /havent got is noodys business but my own.

I can't help myself, but I have to link to this. Your post just reminds me of it so much, it's hilarious!

I can't help myself, but I have to link to this. Your post just reminds me of it so much, it's hilarious!
    God my sides are spliiting your one funny guy/girl.Bet your friends love bringing you out.Just cause people have different opinions doesnt make a tattoo right or wrong.An awful lot has to do with peoples perception of what they would like.Ah im not geting in to this beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Advertisement
Advertisement