Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tattoos

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

I have to agree with the Captain anyone found piercing/tattooing anyone under 21 should be shot.My son is in secondary and ii couldnt believe a girl of about 16 having stars on the back of her neck.Now im not one to talk i got my first tat at 17 but if my son wanted one i would make sure he waited until he knew what he wanted.And then id probably get one with him.Your taste does change the tattoos i got at 17 i ouldnt get now but at least they are small enough to be covered.Wit till you know what ou want and then go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

I've always had a vague plan to get certain lyrics on me at some stage but now I'm thinking not so much... I guess there's nothing, yet anyway, that I feel passionately enough about to know that I'll want it on my body for the rest of my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Sophisticated6y

I am hardly the only one who's noticed that every second teenage girl with a tattoo either has: star(s) or a butterfly?

ORIGINALITY PEOPLE?!

Ok now in sayin all that, I have seen some beautiful designs with stars and some lovely butterflies too. But still.
    Anyone care to guesstimate what the next fad of tattoo designs will be?
    Stars and butterflies could become old hat! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I've noticed a lot of people getting things related to their star signs/ date of birth lately.
    Y'know, date of birth in roman numerals, umm, star signs in arabic.. that sort of thing.

Personally I think it's pretty stupid but sure, if it makes them happy...
    (I'm in no way anti-tattoo or anything btw, tasteful, well chosen ones ones are class!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭ACW

I recently got my first tattoo (6 months agao) I have had the design and location in mind since I was 18, thats 7 years for those who know me. I predicted that if I could still have the same idea and desire after 7 years I would never get tired or regret the tattoo.

This for the most part is true. I turned a blind eye while getting the tattoo ( I was reading with my free hand as I got it) and the artist went outside the guide lines and what I requested as he though my design was a bit plain. I have the tattoo I wanted, where I wanted, with the artist's own flair. So my advice, pay attention and make clear with the artist what you want done.

• Advertisement

bythewoods wrote: »
    I've noticed a lot of people getting things related to their star signs/ date of birth lately.
    Y'know, date of birth in roman numerals, umm, star signs in arabic.. that sort of thing.

Personally I think it's pretty stupid but sure, if it makes them happy...
    (I'm in no way anti-tattoo or anything btw, tasteful, well chosen ones ones are class!)
    Yes you personally think its stupid but you have no idea maybe that person haas been planning that tattoo for years or maybe they actually have some arabic/chinese in them.They could be unlucky that they have picked the next fad without realising it anyway tasteful,well chosen tattoos are in the eye of the beholder just cause you dont think they ar doesnt mean the people who get them done do.They obviously like them so i cant see the problem,also why do you think there are so many styles out there so theres choice.If everybody liked the same things it would be very boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

marti101 wrote: »
    Yes you personally think its stupid but you have no idea maybe that person haas been planning that tattoo for years or maybe they actually have some arabic/chinese in them.They could be unlucky that they have picked the next fad without realising it anyway tasteful,well chosen tattoos are in the eye of the beholder just cause you dont think they ar doesnt mean the people who get them done do.They obviously like them so i cant see the problem,also why do you think there are so many styles out there so theres choice.If everybody liked the same things it would be very boring.

I apologise, but seeing "April 1990" scrawled on someone's arm is not, in my opinion, tasteful. Each to their own and all that.
    I know 4 people who got their starsigns tatooed on them in Arabic, people I know well enough to say.. they are fully Irish.

Sorry if I've insulted you, I'm sure YOUR starsign looks original ;)

bythewoods wrote: »
    I apologise, but seeing "April 1990" scrawled on someone's arm is not, in my opinion, tasteful. Each to their own and all that.
    I know 4 people who got their starsigns tatooed on them in Arabic, people I know well enough to say.. they are fully Irish.

Sorry if I've insulted you, I'm sure YOUR starsign looks original ;)
    Actually it would if i had one and you didnt insult me but you have done what most people assume.You assume i had something that most people have.Maybe i have maybe i havent but you have just proved your own ignorance.What tattoos i have /havent got is noodys business but my own.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

marti101 wrote: »
    Actually it would if i had one and you didnt insult me but you have done what most people assume.You assume i had something that most people have.Maybe i have maybe i havent but you have just proved your own ignorance.What tattoos i have /havent got is noodys business but my own.

I can't help myself, but I have to link to this. Your post just reminds me of it so much, it's hilarious!

An Fhile wrote: »
    I can't help myself, but I have to link to this. Your post just reminds me of it so much, it's hilarious!
    God my sides are spliiting your one funny guy/girl.Bet your friends love bringing you out.Just cause people have different opinions doesnt make a tattoo right or wrong.An awful lot has to do with peoples perception of what they would like.Ah im not geting in to this beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

By any chance was this your latest tattoo?

sarcasm.jpg

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

I am hardly the only one who's noticed that every second teenage girl with a tattoo either has: star(s) or a butterfly?

ORIGINALITY PEOPLE?!

Ok now in sayin all that, I have seen some beautiful designs with stars and some lovely butterflies too. But still.

I have star's , got for a totally differnt reason other than them being "cool".. the people later on in life that will get there laserd off or coverd up are the people who didnt think them through or only got them cause they where cool..
    ive got two pieces one i got cause i liked the design and it beautiful (if i say so myself) and the stars or soooo simple, yet i love them more than the other piece.. it all about what you like , common or not if you like it and think about it , what should it matter what other people think

no-ones tattoo is 100% original these days, and you cant argue otherwise end off << tha was my point , sorry i waffled on a bit!:P

By any chance was this your latest tattoo?

sarcasm.jpg

:rolleyes:
    Jesus you got it to a t,thats exactly my tattoo.Emo thats the point i was trying to make nothing is 100% original.No matter who says any different we all got our ideas from someone else.Who cares as long as you have the tattoos that you love,nothing else matters.Actually no it wasnt my latest,but i give you one more guess go on its a dare lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

have to say on the stars issue, i have some, on my wrist (omg, how original, NOT), but it's a personal tattoo, i attached meaning to when i was 12, and back in 1st year, decided that when i was 18, i'd get that tattoo, on my left wrist, and hell, 6 years later, i still wanted it, and i got it. i don't give a **** if it coincided with a sudden influx in star tattoos. it's *my* tattoo. it means something to me. it means heaps to me, tbh.

also, as far as the chinese/etc tattoos go, i know a chick, 100% kiwi, totally white, who's getting chinese symbols tattoo'd on her. anyone who knew her from way back when might give out yards about that, given her complete lack of ethnic backround... till you realise her only son is half chinese, and it's his name in chinese she's getting inked on herself....

really, so often, there's more to things than meet the eye.

It's always nice to hear stories like that Froo, but there's plenty of fools who do buy in to fads and trends. I was walking past a group of lads last Tuesday, they're all 16 or 17, and they were talking about getting their own names tattood in Arabic. I've known these guys since we were all kids and there's no good reason at all for them to be getting inked in Arabic, other than the thought that "It looks wicked!".

It's always nice to hear stories like that Froo, but there's plenty of fools who do buy in to fads and trends. I was walking past a group of lads last Tuesday, they're all 16 or 17, and they were talking about getting their own names tattood in Arabic. I've known these guys since we were all kids and there's no good reason at all for them to be getting inked in Arabic, other than the thought that "It looks wicked!".
    there is two types of people who get tattoo's:

1. ) people who love the art, and everything about them (me i spend hours a day just looking at tattoos, simply cause i find the art beautiful), study them and spend hours/months even years planning there tattoo's.. stars or not, tattoo have a hell of alot of meaning to these people... and i dont think they'll ever regret them (well i can only speak for myself! i suppose)

2.) people who think they're "cool" , and get them cause there friends have them or they want to "rebel" against everything.. ... they get the lastest trend "be it aribic writing or stars, with no thought or actual meaning behind it... they will more than likely in a few year or months regret there decision to get inked (believe me how i laughed at my friend when she told me she regretted getting hers done after a few months , i did warn her)

so you cant tar everyone with the same brush just cause you think the have "unoriginal" tattoo's... some have alot of meaning to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

What's wrong with doing something because "IT LOOKS WICKED!". Surely that's the reason most people get tatoos in the first place, cos they think they look nice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Piste wrote: »
    What's wrong with doing something because "IT LOOKS WICKED!". Surely that's the reason most people get tatoos in the first place, cos they think they look nice?

And thats the reason alot of people other then them think they look like a pillock for having such a stupid tattoo.

well i think lots of things "look wicked" wouldnt mean id go out an purchase them/wear them :rolleyes:

But that's your choice, what's wrong with other people purchasing/wearing things they think look good?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

emo!! wrote: »
    there is two types of people who get tattoo's:

1. ) people who love the art, and everything about them (me i spend hours a day just looking at tattoos, simply cause i find the art beautiful), study them and spend hours/months even years planning there tattoo's.. stars or not, tattoo have a hell of alot of meaning to these people... and i dont think they'll ever regret them (well i can only speak for myself! i suppose)

2.) people who think they're "cool" , and get them cause there friends have them or they want to "rebel" against everything.. ... they get the lastest trend "be it aribic writing or stars, with no thought or actual meaning behind it... they will more than likely in a few year or months regret there decision to get inked (believe me how i laughed at my friend when she told me she regretted getting hers done after a few months , i did warn her)

so you cant tar everyone with the same brush just cause you think the have "unoriginal" tattoo's... some have alot of meaning to them
    So basically, some people with tattoos are more pretentious than others?

But that's your choice, what's wrong with other people purchasing/wearing things they think look good?

theres a differnce with wearing and purchasing things, than getting something permantly inked on you !:rolleyes:
    JC 2K3 wrote: »
    So basically, some people with tattoos are more pretentious than others?

where in my post did i say that?? that is the two types of people, some go in a pick it of a flash board cause its cool , other take time to think over it , and in the day these are the people who will be most happy with there tattoo in the long run... i've seen it happen

emo!! wrote: »
    theres a differnce with wearing and purchasing things, than getting something permantly inked on you !:rolleyes:

Well I was talking about tattoos, you're the one that brought up purchasing and wearing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Used to think it all had to boil down to deep spiritual meaning and anyone who had work done for any other reason was missing something. However, a significant helping of reality later and I realise that something being beautiful is a perfectly good reason to get a piece done, and beauty being in the eye of the beholder, it's just snobby to sneer at anyone's ink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

well sure why can't they get it done for no reason?
    if your a giant ***hole why not have it permanently injected into your skin?

personallt,i'm going to get one when i'm 18 (13month's FTW) for two reasons:

1)primarily because in my first three years of secondary school i've lost three brother's to suicide and that's marked me mentally for life so why not show physically it's part of who i am

2)is there any more definite way to describe yourself then (quite literally) marking it in blood (maybe tears:pac:) like i said before if your an ass show it with a run of the mill flash if your commited to it then get one that you have thought about

sure at the end of the day it's only what you look like

me and a mate got piercings (my helix, his eyebrow)and we are (not to be stuck up) probably the two smartest and most easy going lads in the year
    but apparently look "wrong" personally prefer to look like a knacker than be one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭kazza90210

I am so sick of people judging people with tattoos (bear in mind my mother is one of these) having tattoos does not make u common or anything else for that matter, i do think people should think long and hard about them as they will be there forever and if you have wanted stars etc forever then get them it doesnt matter what anyone else thinks, tattoos are personal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

i think though part of deciding you're getting a tattoo should be acknowledging that people who see them will generally judge you for htem. maybe positively, maybe negatively, maybe correctly, maybe incorrectly, but you do need to accept that fact before you get inked. if you are happy to deal with it, go ahead, but while you're getting the ink done for yourself, remember that it will impact others' perception of you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭EmerBaggott

Hi im thinking of getting a tattoo on my foot (not sure as of yet whether to go with the left or the right). Not sure quite exactly what but something going around my ankle, and then down the front of my foot...Does anyone have any ideas? Will that area be totally painful? eek.gif Please Help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

An File wrote: »
    Eh....so what?
    If they think it "looks wicked" why is that not a good enough reason to get one? Who says tattoos have to have some big deep spiritual meaning?

If someone spends ages thinking about a tattoo and gets something personal that means a lot to them, that's great. But why shouldn't other people, who don't really have any personal reason to get one, be allowed get one that just looks nice?

I've considered getting something like my name or birthdate in Chinese characters before. I haven't any Chinese blood in me whatsoever - so what? It doesn't mean a whole lot to me, but I think Chinese writing does look really cool. The reasons I haven't gotten a tattoo is because they're expensive I have zero pain threshold.
    Hi im thinking of getting a tattoo on my foot (not sure as of yet whether to go with the left or the right). Not sure quite exactly what but something going around my ankle, and then down the front of my foot...Does anyone have any ideas? Will that area be totally painful? eek.gif Please Help
    Hi Emer, if you have questions about tattoos check out the Tattoos & Piercings forum. (Make sure you read the Charter first though! ;))

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Since when do Irish teenagers use the word "wicked" in this context? :confused:

Advertisement