Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foreign Nationals flying in for the day to sign on the dole

Options
  • 14-10-2008 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭

I met a guy who used to live beside me today in the post office. Hes from Poland and moved home about 6 months ago. He told me he was here with his wife for the day.

Now the best bit. They were signing on collecting their money. I was shocked and it showed and he explained it to me.

They have 3 children and are saying they are living with his brother who still lives here. They went home to Poland and he has a job there. This was his last time signing on but his wife is going to sign on saying she was left in Ireland with the kids. She'll just come over here for the day whenever she needs to sign on on the cheap flights. Even if this is once a week (and im sure its less often than that) it will pay her to do it. And childrens allowance etc too.

Still seeing my shocked face he said that he knows lots of people doing the very same thing, that it was normal.

Unbelievable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

Well it'll cost them an extra tenner to leave now every month :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

If that was me, and I had a knife....

Fúcking tax payers money being given to scabby little fúckers like that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Are you planning on doing anything about it?

And yes, she will have to come once a week as you have to collect it in the post office yourself now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Photi

While tucking into a swan at the same time I bet. Them there foreign nationals, whatever will they get up to next?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

KhanTheMan wrote: »
    I met a guy who used to live beside me today in the post office. Hes from Poland and moved home about 6 months ago. He told me he was here with his wife for the day.

Now the best bit. They were signing on collecting their money. I was shocked and it showed and he explained it to me.

They have 3 children and are saying they are living with his brother who still lives here. They went home to Poland and he has a job there. This was his last time signing on but his wife is going to sign on saying she was left in Ireland with the kids. She'll just come over here for the day whenever she needs to sign on on the cheap flights. Even if this is once a week (and im sure its less often than that) it will pay her to do it. And childrens allowance etc too.

Still seeing my shocked face he said that he knows lots of people doing the very same thing, that it was normal.

Unbelievable.

Or did you just really read it in the thread about foreigners and the dole earlier?

If not report the b*stards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,996 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Unbelievable.
    report them now

id do it for sure
    and have a big grin on my face while doing it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

So she's flying over and back from Poland every week to collect her dole in the post office? Fair play to her - our airlines need all the help they can get these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Report them, if you don't want to - pass me on the details and I will!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

In the late 1990s I knew several Italians and Spaniards who after living and working here for several years claimed the dole even after they had moved home to their respective countries. They claimed with cheap low cost airfares it was easy and 'cost efficient' to nip back to Dublin once a month to sign on.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭todolist

Photi wrote: »
    While tucking into a swan at the same time I bet. Them there foreign nationals, whatever will they get up to next?
    This response is the kind of stuff that makes this place a soft touch for east european fraudsters.You're not bothered that taxpayer money his going to fraudsters in Poland.we have enough Irish doing it without these foreigners at it as well.:mad:

• Advertisement

Photi wrote: »

dont forget the poor old ducks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

right im gonna sign on tomorrow as though i hope to get a job soonas i graduate im gonna leech just as much from my country as these asshats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Photi

todolist wrote: »
    This response is the kind of stuff that makes this place a soft touch for east european fraudsters.You're not bothered that taxpayer money his going to fraudsters in Poland.we have enough Irish doing it without these foreigners at it as well.:mad:

Yeah, one isolated anecdotal story means our entire welfare system is under attack. Show me the stats .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Unbelievable.

You have reported this yes?

todolist wrote: »

This response is the kind of stuff that makes After Hours a soft touch for people like you. You're not bothered that foreign posters are taking all the fun away to eastern europe instead of keeping it here in our homeland. We have enough Irish people ruining the fun without these no-craic foreigners doing it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Its these type of f****ers that will help bring in the National ID to stop dole fraud.

Its these type of f****ers that will help bring in the National ID to stop dole fraud.

I heard they're getting Polish nationals over to actually implant the microchips into us honest to goodness god-fearing Irish folks.

I got mine already!

(In the ass)

whats the story with the National ID

cant see it happening for a while with the credit crunch

Oh God please don't set him off.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,009 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I wonder how many EU countries you can fly into each week to collect your pocket-money. It would be extremely tiring, but would it be worth the effort?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

Be honest ,is this ture or what. As if it were you can only do one thing, and that is report them as this is making mockery of the whole thing. Along with ruining it for every one else. I think that land loard should be made to report when tenents have moved out ,to the social welfare as this would help in eliminating false claims.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Oh God please don't set him off.

:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

In the late 1990s I knew several Italians and Spaniards .

See, i knew the fcukin Spaniards were behind all this credit crunch stuff. Ya cant trust the greasy gits with their good looks and shifty eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭KhanTheMan

Are you planning on doing anything about it?

And yes, she will have to come once a week as you have to collect it in the post office yourself now.

I kid you not. I was walking past the po and he's coming out. Couldn't believe it when he told me. Tbh I am giving serious thought to reporting them. But I know nothing will come of it if I do. What really gets me is he said that there are loads of people doing it. They even fly on the same fligths sometimes.

It wouldn't me hard to stop if there was a will. A bit of cooperation with border control and social welfare is all it would take.
    A one man job. Tally up passport numbers on flights with days in the country and payments. Job done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

You will find that the damn Spaniards are behind the ID cards too. Im tellin ya Run_to_the_hills, the King of Spain is the man behind the curtain.
    Look into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

All the more reason for bringing it in. computerization and centralization of all state departments would save the government a fortune and would also help out stamp out those who are trying to ride the system.

Did you know that anyone who is on the dole is only allowed 12 "Holidays" a year? Anytime someone who is signing on wants to leave the republic must notify their social welfare office in writing even if its going to the UK, if they stay longer they can loose all their privileges and will have to re apply when they come back. They can track you with this card.

When the state ID is set up between the UK and Ireland it wont be easy for those on the dole to go to the UK as it used to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I sense a business opportunity. Chartered dole fraud flights from Eastern Europe.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭KhanTheMan

stovelid wrote: »
    I sense a business opportunity. Chartered dole fraud flights from Eastern Europe.....

Michael O'Leary has that one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I wonder how many EU countries you can fly into each week to collect your pocket-money. It would be extremely tiring, but would it be worth the effort?

Well if you're flying about Europe claiming the dole in various countries you may as well stock up on cigarettes and sell them when you get back in Ireland. Double whammy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

I kid you not. I was walking past the po and he's coming out. Couldn't believe it when he told me. Tbh I am giving serious thought to reporting them. But I know nothing will come of it if I do. What really gets me is he said that there are loads of people doing it. They even fly on the same fligths sometimes.

It wouldn't me hard to stop if there was a will. A bit of cooperation with border control and social welfare is all it would take.
    A one man job. Tally up passport numbers on flights with days in the country and payments. Job done.

You have to report this friend or no friend, you paying taxes and the increase is more in his pocket. Why dont the goverment spend more money on fraud in this country. Im sure most know of someone who is doing the same. I'd gladly report them and hope you do the same.

Advertisement