Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foreign Nationals flying in for the day to sign on the dole

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Biggins wrote: »
    Disagree in the fact that I've worked along side such poles, etc.
    As long as they are working full time and paying into the same tax system as me, I have no right to groan about them nor should anyone else.
    Its ONLY those that are coming over here to fiddle the dole AND export money out of the country (no matter what country they are from) that more annoys me.
    Is that racist??? I don't think so!

No that's not racist, however, had you started your post with "I'm not racist, but..etc etc" apparently that would be...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

marcsignal wrote: »
    No that's not racist, however, had you started your post with "I'm not racist, but..etc etc" apparently that would be...

It's a well known fact that anyone who stars with 'I'm not a racist, but' is about to say something racist. That;s why they have to get the denial in nice and early. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Actually did anyone watch the thing earlier in the summer about the white working class in Britain? It was on BBC or Ch4 I think. Was fascinating to see. A lot of people who didn't vote but said they'd vote for BNP or whatever if they did.

RTE could just as easily make a similar programme here and come up with the same results sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Quite possibly, but that is really the only way to measure what imact they have in the UK.

Yeah you're right but if the BNP were motivated enough to ferry potential voters to and from the polling stations like they do during elections in America, they would probably swing a lot more seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

It's a well known fact ...

in what circles ?

• Advertisement

in what circles ?

Round ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

in what circles ?

In Boards.ie circles! It's the same as PI threads......I don't mean to be vain....but I'm bleeding goooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrjjjjjjjjiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisssssssssssss and me fellah gois mad when deh uder fellis be luukin at me cleevig!!!!

OPENROAD wrote: »
    RTE could just as easily make a similar programme here and come up with the same results sadly.

Oh absolutely.

To be honest, you could make the same programme in any First World country and find similar things. Dutch scumbags look and dress almost identically to those in England or Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Prejudice like that is what's stoppin me shaving my thinning hair off:P

amacachi wrote: »

Whenever I see bald people I think I'd be doing them a disservice by wasting my hair and shaving it off. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Rolling Smoke

MMMMnnnnnnnnnn..............I can almost taste it

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

amacachi wrote: »
    Lol, relax, you need a lot more than a shaved head for "the look"! :D
    Whenever I see bald people I think I'd be doing them a disservice by wasting my hair and shaving it off. :pac:
    Or a service ... several wigs worth there! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    In Boards.ie circles! It's the same as PI threads......I don't mean to be vain....but I'm bleeding goooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrjjjjjjjjiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisssssssssssss and me fellah gois mad when deh uder fellis be luukin at me cleevig!!!!

Hehehe I love it! :pac:

Gawjus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭KhanTheMan

back in the day when using the dole to to subsidise you wages on the building sites it was necessry to sign on. You would not get the job unless you did this. They were afraid of people not willing to do the same as them. You used to go to the dole office together and then be chatting down the back. After the boss signed on he would come down and say 'come on lads I'm not paying you to stand down the back of the dole office chatting all day. '. We used to get £50 a week at work and then £37 off the dole.

When I wasn't working (which was 90% of the time for most of us then. Now that was recession) I often met the guys who owned the houses being renovated (mostly in rathmines) in the dole office signing on too. They used to buy the houses pay crap wages to workers to dothem up and sell them. All the while signing on themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

KhanTheMan wrote: »
    back in the day when using the dole to to subsidise you wages on the building sites it was necessry to sign on. You would not get the job unless you did this. They were afraid of people not willing to do the same as them. You used to go to the dole office together and then be chatting down the back. After the boss signed on he would come down and say 'come on lads I'm not paying you to stand down the back of the dole office chatting all day. '. We used to get £50 a week at work and then £37 off the dole.

When I wasn't working (which was 90% of the time for most of us then. Now that was recession) I often met the guys who owned the houses being renovated (mostly in rathmines) in the dole office signing on too. They used to buy the houses pay crap wages to workers to dothem up and sell them. All the while signing on themselves.
    oh well thats ok then :rolleyes:
    what exactly is your point? it was ok for me to do it then ( everyone else was at it) but its wrong now? I disagree fraud is fraud- then and now

The "black" economy was a considerable part of the real economy in those days, looks like we are going back to the same situation.

Even in good times, there will always be a small element who "work" the system, just in recessionary times that percentage is much larger - having the effect of making the downturn appear much worse than it really is!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

javaboy wrote: »
    I would hazard a guess that the BNP suffers from the fact that the people who might prefer BNP are also those least likely to vote.

I'm not so sure. I can't speak for the UK, but the core support group for the Front National (who also lost a lot of support in the last elections) is old Vichy-leftover scroons who like nothing better than an oul' vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭KhanTheMan

axel rose wrote: »
    oh well thats ok then :rolleyes:
    what exactly is your point? it was ok for me to do it then ( everyone else was at it) but its wrong now? I disagree fraud is fraud- then and now

Calm down there. Take a tablet or something.

Just pointing out that as i have done this in the past i know how to stop it being done now.

Never said it was right, just that if you wanted to work then thats what you had to do then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Calm down there. Take a tablet or something.

Just pointing out that as i have done this in the past i know how to stop it being done now.

Never said it was right, just that if you wanted to work then thats what you had to do then.

Cool, mind if i report you to the dole office then, y'know it being fraud and all that.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Gareth37

I met a guy who used to live beside me today in the post office. Hes from Poland and moved home about 6 months ago. He told me he was here with his wife for the day.

Now the best bit. They were signing on collecting their money. I was shocked and it showed and he explained it to me.

They have 3 children and are saying they are living with his brother who still lives here. They went home to Poland and he has a job there. This was his last time signing on but his wife is going to sign on saying she was left in Ireland with the kids. She'll just come over here for the day whenever she needs to sign on on the cheap flights. Even if this is once a week (and im sure its less often than that) it will pay her to do it. And childrens allowance etc too.

Still seeing my shocked face he said that he knows lots of people doing the very same thing, that it was normal.

Unbelievable.

Not really. I can well beleive it. The dole is too high and the poeple on the dole are mostly from othe rcountries including northern Ireland. Ive heard that foreigners cannot beleive it. Its so easy to get free cash on the dole queue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

After reading the budget today

REPORT THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

sorry khan but what is your problem?
    you committed fraud in the past but thats ok.
    but polish people committing fraud today are wrong. Is it just the polish or is it all fraudsters? What year did this stop being ok? 1988? 1990?
    just interested......it being my money you took.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

And yes, she will have to come once a week as you have to collect it in the post office yourself now.

Remember the black guy who was doing the taxi driving tests for all his black mates?

I wonder is it difficult to get someone who looks *roughly* like you to claim the dole on your behalf... I suspect there are some people doing this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The "black" economy was a considerable part of the real economy in those days, looks like we are going back to the same situation.

It is not be the same, in the bad old days of the 80ies a revenue inspector had to literally follow you around from tip offs and physically catch you on the act of social welfare fraud. They could do you if they caught you entering a building site in the morning with a packed lunch under your arm.

These days it is all going all high tech, the same inspectors can sit down in a warm offices and browse through the various personal profile sites and build up any personal profiles of individuals they suspect.

If they have a suspicion of any individual or foreign national that is screwing the system they can match any Utube or Facebook account with this guy. The same guy could be stupid enough to put his foot in it by mouthing on about his location, his "job", his movements and even have his own photo!! etc. They can then act on this information.

It was not too long ago that some idiot publically admitted cogging in the Leaving Cert on a public forum, The Dept of education acted swiftly on it and subsequently caught and questioned the culprit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Gareth37 wrote: »
    the poeple on the dole are mostly from othe rcountries including northern Ireland.

I think you'll find that the majority of people on the dole are Irish nationals and that only 17 percent of the people claiming the dole in Ireland are foreign nationals.
    The figures show foreign nationals accounted for just over 17pc of the number of people claiming unemployment benefit last month. The estimated proportion of foreign nationals in the workforce is estimated to be around 16.6pc.

Overall, the figures for September 2008 show that of the 240,000 people on the Live Register, 199,000 are Irish nationals (83pc) while the remainder are foreign nationals (41,200, or 17pc).

http://www.businessworld.ie/livenews.htm?a=2303172;s=rollingnews.htm

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I think you'll find that the majority of people on the dole are Irish nationals and that only 17 percent of the people claiming the dole in Ireland are foreign nationals.

http://www.businessworld.ie/livenews.htm?a=2303172;s=rollingnews.htm

17% of people claiming the dole are foreign nationals. What % of people living in Ireland are foreign nationals? Is it close to 17% of the population? (I have no idea if it is or not.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

AARRRGH wrote: »
    17% of people claiming the dole are foreign nationals. What % of people living in Ireland are foreign nationals? Is it close to 17%? (I have no idea if it is.)

I don't think it's anywhere close to 17%. But even if it was - what's your point? That doesn't mean that every foreign national is claiming the dole.

17% of people claiming the dole are foreign nationals. Granted this figure is increasing but it's wholly incorrect to say that people claiming the dole are mostly from other countries as Gareth37 said.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

the BNP gets most of it voters by telling them all there problems are because of foreigners---in a way its like some irish people on the threads they think there problems are made by the british --but we all know differently dont we ?--hey i am asking a question

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I don't think it's anywhere close to 17%. But even if it was - what's your point? That doesn't mean that every foreign national is claiming the dole.

17% of people claiming the dole are foreign nationals. Granted this figure is increasing but it's wholly incorrect to say that people claiming the dole are mostly from other countries as Gareth37 said.

My point is this -

If the population of Ireland is no where near 17% foreign nationals, than clearly there are a lot of foreign nationals claiming the dole as compared to Irish nationals.

Know what I mean?

PS I know Ireland has loads of Irish wasters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

So what's wrong with your Polish friend also scamming the dole? Is it that he didn't have as good an excuse as you?

Advertisement