Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foreign Nationals flying in for the day to sign on the dole

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

AARRRGH wrote: »
    My point is this -

If the population of Ireland is no where near 17% foreign nationals, than clearly there are a lot of foreign nationals claiming the dole as compared to Irish nationals.

Know what I mean?

PS I know Ireland has loads of Irish wasters

According to the 2006 census 10% of the population was made up of foreign nationals. I don't know whether this has increased or decreased since then. It's probably increased slightly so it's not a huge difference between the percentage of the Irish population and the percentage of the foreign national population claiming the dole.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0329/census.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

javaboy you dont get it..... its not ok for this polish lad because......well........khan said so. It was ok for him to scam the dole because......he said so.
    The two situations are completely different because.......HE SAID SO!!!!!
    I hope I cleared that up for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭wildsaffy

Leave the poor furriners alone :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I didn't know foreigners were allowed to claim the dole at all. Is it only EU members? I always though you had to be a citizen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Jesus, with the amount of threads like this one in After Hours lately, I'm genuinely concerned about some of you.

''foreigners are scamming us''

''charities are scamming us''

''foreign taxi drivers are scamming us.....and want to kidnap us''

''that Romanian fella needs a slap''

''that chugger needs a slap''

''I wanted to give that useless guard a slap''

*YAWN*

*sigh* :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 I_Love_Tomatoes

I've got a better one for you.

My friend's mum is a primary school principal in Dublin. The demographics have changed wildly in the last few years as ye can well imagine. For the most part, I think this is a good thing... opens our eyes and all that.

But get this: There are a few romanian kids (among other nationalities) in many of the classes. A few of them routinely are "sick" for a few days. But it's the recent batch of romanians that have just started that have caused the penny to drop.

A typical conversation goes like this: (Let's call the little kid "John"... even though I'm sure his name is not John)

Principal: "Why were you out last week John?"
    John: "I was sick. And today my name is Sean. I was John last week"
    Principal: "What"?
    John: "We go to Limerick and I have different name in Limerick..."
    Principal: "You were in Limerick"?
    John: "Yes. My daddy has to go to office in Limerick"
    Principal: "And Where were you yesterday?"
    John: "I was in Galway. My name is Michael when I am in Galway" <John innocently smiles>
    Principal: "And why did you go to Galway?"
    John: "My daddy has to go to office in Galway"
    Principal: :eek:

Go figure folks... This is going on LEFT, RIGHT AND CENTRE. Your Polish buddy is the tip of the iceberg.

It's going to take a bit of Bergerac (or even rougher... CSI Dublin... or or maybe Terminator) to stop it. And until it becomes vigorously policed, it's going to stay this way.

WindSock wrote: »
    I didn't know foreigners were allowed to claim the dole at all. Is it only EU members?

As far as I know, yes - they have to be from an EU member state.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

WindSock wrote: »
    I didn't know foreigners were allowed to claim the dole at all.

yes they are - if they have paid in enough PRSI contributions. Like everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

axel rose wrote: »
    javaboy you dont get it..... its not ok for this polish lad because......well........khan said so. It was ok for him to scam the dole because......he said so.
    The two situations are completely different because.......HE SAID SO!!!!!
    I hope I cleared that up for you.

Ah now I see. Sorry khan. My bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

KhanTheMan wrote: »
    I met a guy who used to live beside me today in the post office. Hes from Poland and moved home about 6 months ago. He told me he was here with his wife for the day.

Now the best bit. They were signing on collecting their money. I was shocked and it showed and he explained it to me.

They have 3 children and are saying they are living with his brother who still lives here. They went home to Poland and he has a job there. This was his last time signing on but his wife is going to sign on saying she was left in Ireland with the kids. She'll just come over here for the day whenever she needs to sign on on the cheap flights. Even if this is once a week (and im sure its less often than that) it will pay her to do it. And childrens allowance etc too.

Still seeing my shocked face he said that he knows lots of people doing the very same thing, that it was normal.

Unbelievable.

It could be possible that he was spinning you a yarn. Otherwise, why on earth would he share that would someone who would obviously object.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

Photi wrote: »
    While tucking into a swan at the same time I bet. Them there foreign nationals, whatever will they get up to next?

I remember in the 80's the Irish were at it all the time in the UK!!

DubArk wrote: »
    I remember in the 80's the Irish were at it all the time in the UK!!

Please read the thread and you'll see that it was perfectly fine for us to be doing it over there. It's a completely different matter for them to be doing it here.

Now the reason for that is............ HEY LOOK! WHAT'S THAT OVER THERE?????

*runs away*

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Please read the thread and you'll see that it was perfectly fine for us to be doing it over there. It's a completely different matter for them to be doing it here.

Now the reason for that is............ HEY LOOK! WHAT'S THAT OVER THERE?????

*runs away*

Oops sorry forgot that we are never foreign nationals!!

m@cc@ wrote: »
    It could be possible that he was spinning you a yarn. Otherwise, why on earth would he share that would someone who would obviously object.

Maybe Khan had previously told his Polish neighbour about his own dole scam back in the 80's so the Polish guy thought Khan wouldn't mind. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I think, considering our economy is in trouble, it is ok to not want foreign wasters scamming our dole system. We already have too many Irish people doing it.

If Ireland is seen as a soft touch for this sort of thing, the problem is going to get a lot worse.

I have no issues whatsoever with immigration or anything like that, but if people are coming here to rip us off, it should be taken seriously.

For the record, I would never go abroad and rip off another countries social welfare system.

AARRRGH wrote: »
    I think, considering our economy is in trouble, it is ok to not want foreign wasters scamming our dole system. We already have too many Irish people doing it.

If Ireland is seen as a soft touch for this sort of thing, the problem is going to get a lot worse.

I have no issues whatsoever with immigration or anything like that, but if people are coming here to rip us off, it should be taken seriously.

For the record, I would never go abroad and rip off another countries social welfare system.

I don't think anyone is saying it's actually ok for someone to be ripping off the welfare system.

It's just that the usual '153% of foreigners here are on the dole' 'we should round them up and beat them' type of comments are a sad reflection on the ignorance of many people in the country and their flat refusal to look at the facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Yeah - it's an emotive subject alright. Unfortunately I think it's going to get worse as the economy gets slower...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

I don't think it's anywhere close to 17%. But even if it was - what's your point? That doesn't mean that every foreign national is claiming the dole.

17% of people claiming the dole are foreign nationals. Granted this figure is increasing but it's wholly incorrect to say that people claiming the dole are mostly from other countries as Gareth37 said.

And dont forget 90% of Knackers are on the dole.

FACT.

Tony Broke wrote: »
    And dont forget 90% of Knackers are on the dole.

FACT.

True. And 103% of them are living in houses provided by our tax money.

True. And 103% of them are living in houses provided by our tax money.

What about the other 68%?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Insist everyone whos been drawing the dole for more than 3 months does community service type work for a few hours every day.

Stops them claiming the dole in different offices and also makes sure they're not working as well as claiming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭KhanTheMan

Cool, mind if i report you to the dole office then, y'know it being fraud and all that.....

work away

axel rose wrote: »
    sorry khan but what is your problem?
    you committed fraud in the past but thats ok.
    but polish people committing fraud today are wrong. Is it just the polish or is it all fraudsters? What year did this stop being ok? 1988? 1990?
    just interested......it being my money you took.

Reading is obviously your problem. Where did i say it was ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 upthewalls

Three years ago a friend of mine flew to London for a day (was getting laser eye treatment in London.) He said he noticed a good few non nationals get on the flight with no luggage, women just carrying handbags. On the late flight back that night he said he noticed same people again with no luggage. I remembering him telling me at the time it looked like they were signing on in London and living (and probably signing on) in Dublin too.

KhanTheMan wrote: »
    Reading is obviously your problem. Where did i say it was ok?

You didn't. However your posts give the impression that you think it was ok when you did it because everybody did it and it was expected of you but that it's shocking and wrong when a Polish guy does it.

Have you just had a genuine change of heart over the ethics of scamming the dole or did you know it was wrong back when you were doing it?

upthewalls wrote: »
    Three years ago a friend of mine flew to London for a day (was getting laser eye treatment in London.) He said he noticed a good few non nationals get on the flight with no luggage, women just carrying handbags. On the late flight back that night he said he noticed same people again with no luggage. I remembering him telling me at the time it looked like they were signing on in London and living (and probably signing on) in Dublin too.

Maybe they were all getting abortions for all you or your friend knows. Or attending important business meetings with clients in London.

Did he follow them around all day?

upthewalls wrote: »
    I remembering him telling me at the time it looked like they were signing on in London and living (and probably signing on) in Dublin too.

I remember telling myself just now that your post is full of speculation and anecdotal evidence without any real facts.

(Ooooh this game is fun!) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭el_bandita

mumhaabu wrote: »
    Dey tuk er doles!!!!!
    Jobs, doles... Your wives will be next! :D

Its not just the polish who do it either you know

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

yesh

other people also travelle to sign on

Advertisement