Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foreign Nationals flying in for the day to sign on the dole

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

KhanTheMan wrote: »
    I kid you not. I was walking past the po and he's coming out. Couldn't believe it when he told me. Tbh I am giving serious thought to reporting them. But I know nothing will come of it if I do. What really gets me is he said that there are loads of people doing it. They even fly on the same fligths sometimes.

It wouldn't me hard to stop if there was a will. A bit of cooperation with border control and social welfare is all it would take.
    A one man job. Tally up passport numbers on flights with days in the country and payments. Job done.
    I doubt if there are "loads" ... that sounds like a self-justification on his part ... but if you actually know someone who is, report his ass!

I wouldn't think twice in those kind of circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Its these type of f****ers that will help bring in the National ID to stop dole fraud.
    All the more reason for bringing it in. computerization and centralization of all state departments would save the government a fortune and would also help out stamp out those who are trying to ride the system.

When the state ID is set up between the UK and Ireland it wont be easy for those on the dole to go to the UK as it used to be.

So you're in favour of the National ID card now? Why the change of heart?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

There is also an easy way out of this for the Government. If they suspect any foreign national is traveling here to collect dole they can offer them a short term job / Fas course, If they turn it down they can refuse them dole.

If they take up the job / fas course and finish it they will have to reapply for the dole again. All new Dole applications since August must collect their weekly dole in a post office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Tbh I am giving serious thought to reporting them. But I know nothing will come of it if I do.
    What are you on about? Reports of dole fraud are taken extremely seriously. He will be required to produce proof of address next time he signs on, from that sign-on period. He wont be able to, will be cut off, and will be liable to pay all the money back.

Im starting to think there is some kind of agitation going on in AH with all these anti-foreign national threads these days. Either that or weve turned into the Isle of Dogs BNP-land over night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I wonder how many EU countries you can fly into each week to collect your pocket-money. It would be extremely tiring, but would it be worth the effort?

Thats what I thought as soon as I read OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

A

Did you know that anyone who is on the dole is only allowed 12 "Holidays" a year?

Lets be realistic nobody on the dole is going on 12 holidays a year...I work save my ass off and can afford one...maybe another couple of days away every couple of years.

If you mean 12 days holiday thats different and pretty much the standard considering Sunday wouldn't be counted in the social welfare week. Therefore giving them 2 weeks away if they can afford it.

As for the National I.D card it really seems to be something that causes you to lose sleep at night can you list all the negatives to it that will affect us so badly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

I'd be all in favour of this as long as it's only beautiful Polish women popping over here to defraud us. Male? GTFO! Old? GTFO! Ugly? GTFO! Fat? GTFO! Hot young Polish filly? Fáilte go hÉireann! My name's Agamemnon and I'll be your red carpet for today if you're wearing spiked high heels.

javaboy wrote: »
    So you're in favor of the National ID card now? Why the change of heart?

Just giving you some insight into the inevitable. :)

I already mentioned in the Transport and Communication forum that I could give well over a dozen advantages for introducing registered transit smart cards over the pre paid smart cards they are currently using but all at the expense of your civil liberties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭KhanTheMan

CiaranC wrote: »
    What are you on about? Reports of dole fraud are taken extremely seriously. He will be required to produce proof of address next time he signs on, from that sign-on period. He wont be able to, will be cut off, and will be liable to pay all the money back.

Yes they will be able to provide proof of address easily even if they dont live there. All they say is that they are staying with their brother. Its easy to get letters sent there or put the brothers phone in their name and then there's a bill to them at that address.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I heard they're getting Polish nationals over to actually implant the microchips into us honest to goodness god-fearing Irish folks.

I got mine already!

(In the ass)

Was it a cock shaped microchip? I think you may have been raped.

• Advertisement

Yes they will be able to provide proof of address easily even if they dont live there. All they say is that they are staying with their brother. Its easy to get letters sent there or put the brothers phone in their name and then there's a bill to them at that address.
    Mention that in your report so. The DSW will send someone around to the house.

Lets be realistic nobody on the dole is going on 12 holidays a year...I work save my ass off and can afford one...maybe another couple of days away every couple of years.

If you mean 12 days holiday thats different and pretty much the standard considering Sunday wouldn't be counted in the social welfare week. Therefore giving them 2 weeks away if they can afford it.

As for the National I.D card it really seems to be something that causes you to lose sleep at night can you list all the negatives to it that will affect us so badly?

Meant 12 Days holidays. The Social welfare includes Saturday as a "work day" so the only "days off" are Sundays. In effect you are only allowed two weeks and two days off to travel abroad without effecting your privileges. This would allow you for only 6 league matches a year if you traveled out on the Friday :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

stovelid wrote: »
    I sense a business opportunity. Chartered dole fraud flights from Eastern Europe.....

......bring two suitcases full of benskis and hedgeskis and your quids in ;)

Mention that in your report so. The DSW will send someone around to the house.

Oh dear Mr Social Welfare Officer, you've called at a bad time. They are gone to visit friends in Wexford a couple of days. But they'll be back on Tuesday if you'd like to let us know when you are coming up to see them we'll get them to stay in.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Oh dear Mr Social Welfare Officer, you've called at a bad time. They are gone to visit friends in Wexford a couple of days. But they'll be back on Tuesday if you'd like to let us know when you are coming up to see them we'll get them to stay in.

You seem a bit negative about whether reporting it will do any good. If you really don't want to report it and it actually happened, please pass on the details to one of the people who said they would report it on this thread. With things getting very tight, I'd say they will be getting more and more proactive about chasing up scammers. Maybe they'll even send investigators around to businesses to confirm whether job interviews actually took place etc. You can't fault the system for failing if you don't do your bit and snitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

Like TV licence inspectors I am sure Welfare Officer's have heard it all, just report and feel good in the knowledge you did the right thing.

javaboy wrote: »
    You seem a bit negative about whether reporting it will do any good. If you really don't want to report it and it actually happened, please pass on the details to one of the people who said they would report it on this thread. With things getting very tight, I'd say they will be getting more and more proactive about chasing up scammers. Maybe they'll even send investigators around to businesses to confirm whether job interviews actually took place etc. You can't fault the system for failing if you don't do your bit and snitch.

As i said, they need to tally up passport arrivals with dole claims. Easy to do. yet they waste all these resources stupidly doing the wrong thing.

Ive sent an email to report him anyway. Lets see what happens.

Like TV licence inspectors I am sure Welfare Officer's have heard it all, just report and feel good in the knowledge you did the right thing.

It doesnt matter what they've heard. Unlike a TV on the stand, you cant expect people to be in when you call to the house :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

It doesnt matter what they've heard. Unlike a TV on the stand, you cant expect people to be in when you call to the house :)

Well actually they do sometimes turn up and ring people if they're not there. had a friend that this happened to. They then set a time for him to be there for when they would call around - there was no negotiations involved. He was told that he had to be there between 10 and 1 the next day to meet with the dole inspector.

Have you ever had the misfortune to actually be on the dole? They dont exactly invite you in and give you hugs and kisses for your trouble. If the inspector wants to see you and you dont make it, you lose your payments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I kid you not. I was walking past the po and he's coming out. Couldn't believe it when he told me. Tbh I am giving serious thought to reporting them. But I know nothing will come of it if I do. What really gets me is he said that there are loads of people doing it. They even fly on the same fligths sometimes.

It wouldn't me hard to stop if there was a will. A bit of cooperation with border control and social welfare is all it would take.
    A one man job. Tally up passport numbers on flights with days in the country and payments. Job done.

Give me their details and i'll do it for you. I can assure you that it will be taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭u2thepale

Have a gander at the following link and it will show you the extent that this fraud is actually happening, it's only in the last 6 months that new people signing on have to collect their payments at the post office instead of getting it transferred into their account!!

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0808/welfare.html

Sure we've been giving our money away for years and only now they cop on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Krieg wrote: »
    Thats what I thought as soon as I read OP

Yes, I'm just working out my itinerary, before I go and buy an enormous suitcase. :D

I understand that a certain minority in Ireland is only allowed to collect dole monies during a specific time period, on a specific day each week, so that they don't have enough time to skip over any other county borders to collect some more. No doubt someone will correct me if this is a myth.

When everyone in the EU has their Brussels Tracking Chip installed, the game will be up. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭u2thepale

oops , here's the right link

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0721/welfare.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

Dey tuk er doles!!!!!

Have you ever had the misfortune to actually be on the dole? They dont exactly invite you in and give you hugs and kisses for your trouble. If the inspector wants to see you and you dont make it, you lose your payments.

Yes i have. Was on it for years in the 80's, 90's . When ou could get work on the sites the condition was that you would get paid a weeks wages minus the dole and were given Tuesday morning off at the building site to go down and collect it. If you didnt like that, no job.
    And they came on to the sites every couple of months and got everyone up against a wall. Asked them their name and address. They gave a false name and address and that was it.

About being in the house when they call. They have to give you reasonable notice to be in. The cant expect you to be in the arse end of Kerry with no phone coverage and be back within a day or 2 (example).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Photi wrote: »
    While tucking into a swan at the same time I bet. Them there foreign nationals, whatever will they get up to next?
    todolist wrote: »
    This response is the kind of stuff that makes this place a soft touch for east european fraudsters.You're not bothered that taxpayer money his going to fraudsters in Poland.we have enough Irish doing it without these foreigners at it as well.:mad:

+1

@photi - the op's hardly making it up, ye'd probably be quick enough to moan if the government misspent it. We end up getting tax increases and additional tax on petrol to cover **** like this

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Knew some Irish guys(Friends of a friend of a friend. But did hear it from the horses mouth) in Berlin doing that. Cost of living there and cheap flights made it quite practical.

Would have reported it if I'd known their names but too lazy to go investigating afterwards. What makes it worse is that they'd been there about half a year and could not even manage platitudes in the language and knew bugger all about the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Have a gander at the following link and it will show you the extent that this fraud is actually happening, it's only in the last 6 months that new people signing on have to collect their payments at the post office instead of getting it transferred into their account!!

That was a flipping joke.

I knew a Spanish girl who received some sort of benefits and somehow was still receiving them after she moved back to Spain. I thought it was bad enough she was claiming benefits in the first place - if you can't afford the luxury of living in an expensive country, don't come here - but she was outright committing fraud and didn't see what was wrong with it. And here's me, genuinely out of work and grabbing bits of temping and teaching evening classes, had to move out of my flat cos I can't afford it, thinking I shouldn't sign on as I'm well off compared to some people. I'm starting to feel like a mug!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

About being in the house when they call. They have to give you reasonable notice to be in. The cant expect you to be in the arse end of Kerry with no phone coverage and be back within a day or 2 (example).

It's different these days. If they keep looking for you and you're not around then they will ask questions. You're supposed to be available for work in the area you're living in. If you're consistently not around then you lose your benefits.

Advertisement