Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foreign Nationals flying in for the day to sign on the dole

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

MizzLolly wrote: »
    I'm sorry. I'll be more specific.

I disagreed with the ''I'm not racist BUT....'' part.

I found the whole post to be a big ball of generalisation.

Though, it was no worse than some of the other's posting here. I only replied to see if you were drunk.

Now.. no more luring me into this thread!

Go have another drink ;)

Lol Molly

Well if you couldnt read first sentence its understandable the rest would be cumbersome - think I ll put the kettle on suggest you do the same ;)

carlop wrote: »
    Some of the posts in this thread and other recent threads i've come across on boards suggest an increase in extreme right-wing sentiments in Ireland. In this thread someone is advocating that we should go round in mobs hunting Poles who we may suspect of defrauding the state. Switch Ireland with Germany, Poles with Jews, and 2008 with 1938 and there's a very disturbing pattern emerging.

It only becomes disturbing if a politician with similar views starts sticking his right hand upwards at about 50Deg and is in a high position in government! :eek:

anyway the poles had a bad time of it in 1939 as well

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Some of the posts in this thread and other recent threads i've come across on boards suggest an increase in extreme right-wing sentiments in Ireland. In this thread someone is advocating that we should go round in mobs hunting Poles who we may suspect of defrauding the state. Switch Ireland with Germany, Poles with Jews, and 2008 with 1938 and there's a very disturbing pattern emerging.

Yeah but at least West Ireland will win a World Cup or 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

pseudonym1 wrote: »
    Lol Molly

Well if you couldnt read first sentence its understandable the rest would be cumbersome - think I ll put the kettle on suggest you do the same ;)

I did read the first sentence.

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't quote you directly, no? Okay, okay..

you said: ''I was not racist but... ''

not a huge difference to be honest ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

There are two bad sides to the con they are doing.

One is that they are actually doing it and the other is that they are exporting Irish Euros out of the country. The latter worries me more than the former.
    Look around any large town/city and you will see many, many shops advertising "money transfer services".
    The amount of money (millions per week I'm guessing for the whole country) that is lost to this country by such cons and social welfare money (childrens "cresh" allowances of 1,000 per child per year, etc), being exported is defiantly not helping the economy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Damn it, we've Godwined the thread. :pac: (Or whatever that rule's called.)

To be honest, this all reeks of sensationalism.

And as I said in a similar thread, the irony of all this is that 20 years or so, Irish people were renowned (or more accurately accused of) for similar deeds by the Uk-ians.

It actually reminds me of the Swiss, you're glad to have foreigners coming in and helping fuel economic growth, but as soon as things go sour, you want them all out.

It only becomes disturbing if a politician with similar views starts sticking his right hand upwards at about 50Deg and is in a high position in government! :eek:

Ah Bertie!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

Goodwin?
    There is no lynching for Polish - think we like them here - chance to improve our gene pool and ocassionly can be funny!
    There is however a distain for( as the original posters stated) forgeiners coming and claiming benifits whilst living else where. This is a drain on our economy.
    People undeseverving of benifits should not be recieving them-end of.
    But that lends the expectation that we expect folk to act out of moral obligation. The true and only culprits in this situation or the Government for whom we voted!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Dord wrote: »
    <insert generic Roma rant>

i fully support the said rant

The true and only culprits in this situation or the Government for whom we voted!

Which makes us the culprits. :D

• Advertisement

Goodwin?
    There is no lynching for Polish - think we like them here - chance to improve our gene pool and ocassionly can be funny!
    There is however a distain for( as the original posters stated) forgeiners coming and claiming benifits whilst living else where. This is a drain on our economy.
    But that lends the expectation that we expect folk to act out of moral obligation. The true and only culprits in this situation or the Government for whom we voted!

I disdain anyone who commits benefit fraud. I don't differentiate in terms of race.

Part of the problem is that some people seem to have this idea that entire groups of people are committing crime en masse. There are assholes everywhere, but there are decent people too. Allowing the racial element to benefit fraud take precedence completely loses track of the real problem.

Oh and for the information of some of those claiming 90 million per cent of people in the Dole office are foreigners, last time I was in a Dole Office was with a friend who was signing on for the summer when they couldn't find a job, and one of the biggest groups of people there was young students, who couldn't get jobs, mainly because a lot of hardworking foreign people had taken them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Damn it, we've Godwined the thread. :pac: (Or whatever that rule's called.)

To be honest, this all reeks of sensationalism.

And as I said in a similar thread, the irony of all this is that 20 years or so, Irish people were renowned (or more accurately accused of) for similar deeds by the Uk-ians.

It actually reminds me of the Swiss, you're glad to have foreigners coming in and helping fuel economic growth, but as soon as things go sour, you want them all out.

I guess it did come across a bit sensationalist, I mean I don't expect us having a government anytime soon that's going to try to exterminate the Poles. But this is the first time Ireland will have a large immigrant population without a strong economy, and that creates a situation in which a xenophobic far-right can flourish. At least we can look forward to those West Ireland world cup victories.

javaboy wrote: »
    Which makes us the culprits. :D

I voted against the government. It must have been your fault! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Disagree in the fact that I've worked along side such poles, etc.
    As long as they are working full time and paying into the same tax system as me, I have no right to groan about them nor should anyone else.
    Its ONLY those that are coming over here to fiddle the dole AND export money out of the country (no matter what country they are from) that more annoys me.
    Is that racist??? I don't think so!

I voted against the government. It must have been your fault! :pac:

It doesn't matter who you vote for. The government always gets in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Goodwin?

I don't really get the goodwin references, can someone fill me in? I agree totally that those undeserving of benefits shouldn't get them and this practice of flying in for a day for the dole is a disgrace. The problem is that people can tar an entire community with the same brush based on the actions of a minority.

I guess it did come across a bit sensationalist, I mean I don't expect us having a government anytime soon that's going to try to exterminate the Poles. But this is the first time Ireland will have a large immigrant population without a strong economy, and that creates a situation in which a xenophobic far-right can flourish. At least we can look forward to those West Ireland world cup victories.

I used to go out with a Dutch girl and I've friends who are French and English. Any country with immigration has a strong far right. They could all attest to that.

I would truly hate to see Ireland go down the political road of some of our neighbours and see the birth of a vigorous far right movement. Sadly I think we will see one.

I don't really get the goodwin references, can someone fill me in? I agree totally that those undeserving of benefits shouldn't get them and this practice of flying in for a day for the dole is a disgrace. The problem is that people can tar an entire community with the same brush based on the actions of a minority.

Think it's the one where any internet debate will eventually result in someone calling someone else a Nazi or comparing them to Hitler.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

You may be exaggerating slightly, but not half as much as I wish you were!
    Hitler wasn't in a high position in government when he started, db. He surfed into power on a right-wing reactionary tide of bitterness about being totally humiliated at Versailles and the economic ruin which Germany was in at the time, compounded by xenophobia and a warped type of nationalism.
    Correct. And then their Soviet "liberators" screwed themselves and the other Eastern bloc countries to the wall, just for a change like.
    Oh, it happened. It happened a lot. Both in the UK and the US.
    True. Birthplace irrelevant.
    Well, people seem to feel morally obliged to rant about it on the 'net. :)

There's a simple alternative ...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I used to go out with a Dutch girl and I've friends who are French and English. Any country with immigration has a strong far right. They could all attest to that.

I would truly hate to see Ireland go down the political road of some of our neighbours and see the birth of a vigorous far right movement. Sadly I think we will see one.

Far right have very little support in England and would like to think it would be the same here.

• Advertisement

Oh, it happened. It happened a lot. Both in the UK and the US.

Yeah, I know, but sure we're Irish so it's ok. :pac:
    OPENROAD wrote: »
    Far right have very little support in England and would like to think it would be the same here.

Tell that to the BNP. They;re popularities certainly substantial enough to cause concern.

And the Dutch and Belgians have strong far right movements. The French have le Pen and people of his ilk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I disdain anyone who commits benefit fraud. I don't differentiate in terms of race.

Part of the problem is that some people seem to have this idea that entire groups of people are committing crime en masse. There are assholes everywhere, but there are decent people too. Allowing the racial element to benefit fraud take precedence completely loses track of the real problem.

Oh and for the information of some of those claiming 90 million per cent of people in the Dole office are foreigners, last time I was in a Dole Office was with a friend who was signing on for the summer when they couldn't find a job, and one of the biggest groups of people there was young students, who couldn't get jobs, mainly because a lot of hardworking foreign people had taken them.

See!? They turk our jobs!

I didn't think ya could sign on during the summer hilidays from college. Were those people lying to get the dole?

I have no idea.

I think, but again not certain, but students are allowed sign on in the summer? Provided htey have requisite tax credits earned, etc, and can provide proof they're seeking employment.

Tell that to the BNP. They;re popularities certainly substantial enough to cause concern.

Council elections last May in England would suggest different,their overall vote went down and they failed to secure the extra council seats they had hoped for, while they should not be ignored,compared to France the far right does not have a major foothold in the UK.

Council elections last May in England would suggest different,their overall vote went down and they failed to secure the extra council seats they had hoped for, while they should not be ignored,compared to France the far right does not have a major foothold in the UK.

I said it was substantial, I didn't say it was increasing. ;) (Thank God btw.)

The fact is, they have a BNP, we don't have a party of such idiocy and small mindedness. Other than SF of course, but that's a different matter.

I would hazard a guess that the BNP suffers from the fact that the people who might prefer BNP are also those least likely to vote.

I have no idea.

I think, but again not certain, but students are allowed sign on in the summer? Provided htey have requisite tax credits earned, etc, and can provide proof they're seeking employment.

Well for jobseekers benefit (ie with PRSI paid) you have to have lost work, which would be unusual for a student getting their summer holidays. And ya have to be out of college for 3 months before you can sign on for Jobseekers Allowance with no PRSI. I have a feeling that may apply even if PRSI has been paid.
    They have taken down some things from welfare.ie so I'm going from memory, but even at a stretch it would take some highly unusal circumstances for them to be entitled to anthing?
    Sorry if it seems like I'm trying to pick on you btw.

I would hazard a guess that the BNP suffers from the fact that the people who might prefer BNP are also those least likely to vote.

Actually did anyone watch the thing earlier in the summer about the white working class in Britain? It was on BBC or Ch4 I think. Was fascinating to see. A lot of people who didn't vote but said they'd vote for BNP or whatever if they did.

True that. One thing I can't understand about the government is why they're so afraid to offend 20 year olds with 6 kids by 6 different men, I'd've thought they'd be one of the least likely groups to vote.

• Advertisement

Quite possibly, but that is really the only way to measure what imact they have in the UK.

Advertisement