Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I imagine ReTurn will wait for the end of the year to release how much has been paid out.

The cynic in me thinks because it will be a biiig number, and we will all have been using RVM for so long that, we won't 'care' and the program can then be hailed an utter success.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

It gets collected by Return, it is delivered to Limerick where it is baled and sorted. Its then sold back to the producers. They then get it reprocessed into pet flake or pellets. The larger producers will then take those pellets and make their own bottles, smaller producers will get someone else to turn the pellets into bottles. The reprocessing will currently take place in Europe. The likelihood is that we will have that facility on the island in the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭Tow

50 euro a month maintenance fee for a RVM once the warranty runs out. They must be joking. I wonder how many engineer call outs are included in the 600 euro a year fee. Probably 2 at most, and a hefty fee afterwards.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭jj880

Cash cow all round. Recent price rises (before deposits are added) arent linked to Re-Turn at all though. Definitely not 👀.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,677 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

You can buy anywhere and return anywhere

Who told you that nonsense?

The voucher can be redeemed for cash, but retailers prefer to give credit as that is better both for cash flow and revenue

The scheme is designed to make it as hard as possible to get your cash back. Remember this is supposed to cost neutral to the consumer right? Which is hilarious in itself.

The big retailers prefer vouchers because it guarantees footfall because you are locked into that retailer, vouchers are designed to make you consume more not less.

Because all this is for the environment, isn't it?

Imagine the same thing for a trolley, you pay 2 euro to borrow the trolley, you return it and get a voucher back, a voucher you can then redeem in store or queue up to get your 2 euro back.

It's just convenient for all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭JayRoc

"You can buy anywhere and return anywhere

Who told you that nonsense?"

It's true surely? You buy a can of fanta in Shop A and you return it for a refund in Shop B. Why is it "nonsense"?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭SteM

I can buy a can of Fanta in my local shop but not be able to return it to that shop because the shop is exempt from excepting returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭jj880

There are significantly more locations to purchase than there are to return.

E.g. A small shop with an exemption wont accept returns. The rules for locations with exemptions are they must:

- have a Take Back exemption notice for consumers on display instore.
    - display in a manner that is visible to all customers a QR code locator, to find the nearest Deposit Return Point.

Many in rural areas have no Re-Turn point in their locality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Ah I see. I live in a village in Dublin that to be fair, does seem to be well supplied with machines.

I'd be lying if I said I returned more than 10% of my cans or bottles to an RVM but the odd time I do, I've noticed my local SuperValu's machine is almost never out of order, compared to other places that are very unreliable. If I had to go through the process of wandering around til I found a machine, or a machine that worked, I'd....well, I just wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,677 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

No it's completely false.

The opposite of true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I'd like to see the figures of % of 2L bottles that were already recycled vs the % (and presumably massive increase) of recycled 2L bottles under this scheme. I don't see 2L bottles ever littering the streets, they are household items in the main, and ended up in recycle bins. (330ml/500ml are convenience and do litter, so the scheme may have been more appropriate for them ONLY instead of carting big bags of 2L bottles around the place.)

FFFS.

Meanwhile, ditch those caps and please fúck off and recycle in the obvious way when the maching is broke!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Dear LIDL, please respect your customers by having working machines, and if the machines are so dodgy they are out of order frequently, then accept manual returns.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,323 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Yeah, I got irrationally annoyed by that message in LIDL. If I've had rejects in other stores I've brought them home or put them into a general bin. That LIDL message would just convince me to drop them beside the machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,714 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 10,551 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

They should be hauled before a Dáil committee and obliged to cough up the figures. Seems to be about the only way to get these types accountable now. Which is a real indictment of our PS and assoc quangos.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,455 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Re-turn is not a quango nor is it part of the Public Service.

They could be invited to attend a meeting of the Committee on Environment and Climate Action.

As the transition period is still ongoing it might be considered a bit early for that this term.

Possibly an option for the Autumn especially if things don't improve.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/committees/33/environment-and-climate-action/

They could be invited to attend a meeting of the Committee on Environment and Climate Action.

And if they say no? Or if they abscond to the Bahamas?

Not a QUANGO, not part of the Public Service so the Dail has no oversight?!? Does this still sound like a good idea to the fanboys on here?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Daith

Are Re-Turn not a public body? Is the scheme open to tender, or do they own the scheme for life?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,318 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

What happens when we miss these targets ?

77% separate collection target for plastic bottles by 2025, increasing to 90% by 2029

There seems to be nothing in re-turn to make them meet these targets set by the EU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭Tow

I whack rejected bottles into the back of the Lidl machine. Partly as they no longer have bin to leave them in, mainly as it relieves the stress of having a bottle I paid the tax on rejected. In this modern world our mental wellbeing takes precedence!

In saying that, am I correct in thinking that Lidl (all shops) are legally required to accept back packaging on products you bought from them?

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Starter for ten: What's worse than a QUANGO?

The government has devolved powers to it but with no direct oversight(!) or control of appointments to it, so technically it is not a QUANGO, it is even worse than that.

Although if someone can come up with a better term I'll all ears, otherwise it is just another unaccountable QUANGO mandated on us by the government, with seemingly zero accountability to justify their salaries.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Although if someone can come up with a better term I'll all ears, otherwise it is just another unaccountable QUANGO mandated on us by the government, with seemingly zero accountability to justify their salaries.

Nonquango? Although Im sure that is the capital city of some banana republic somewhere… Banana Republic you say? Yep, sounds about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Ronald Binge Redux

The comments on that article are worth a look. Basically a couple of commenters were policing comments about machines rejecting bottles etc and berating them for 'negativity'. Perhaps we should send hippy vibes to the machines and then they'll work.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭argentum

So its more of a habit with me and my family now ,I get a coffee every morning in a shop with a return machine so I throw in the empties and get my money back and use the voucher towards the cost of the coffee which actually feels like a discount

I had 2 large green bins at home that were both full every month but now only use one

I've only come across the machine out of order once and just put the returns back in the car until next day so I like the system

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I was in Avoca Rathcoole earlier which had a sign up they had a retail exemption to the return scheme. Bear in mind they have both restaurant and shop section. I thought only small shops qualified for this? Not exactly a "small" structure!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Daith

It's probably classed like a cafe. McDonalds are exempt too. Same with the restaurant/cafe in Connolly Hospital, which I think is fairly mean too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,505 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I don't understand the exemption. Surely if you sell a product then you should be responsible for the packaging? If they are happy to allow exemptions in retail then why not give exemptions to certain demographics?

To me it sends out the wrong signal. Everyone must do this, well unless it is a bit too much bother then we will exempt you from the difficult part.

Fairly laughable in fairness, but I suppose the retail 'food' shop section is quite small. Wouldn't have thought such a place would qualify for an exemption though. Ironically they have a bottle bank at the far end of the car park there!

• Advertisement

I think nowhere should be exempt. no machine then take them back manually. The poster they had up is laughable, we're exempt but follow this QR code to see a Google map of outlets that aren't!!

Advertisement