Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If it's a different barcode you'd expect the one for the vending machine would have no logo.

If they are the same barcode then Tesco customers won't get the deposit back.

Maybe someone else can shed more light on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,273 ✭✭✭jj880

Nothing to be found on water.ie. No surprise there. I'm assuming the Indo article leads on from this EU Court Of Justice ruling from January this year:

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/ireland-found-guilty-of-failing-to-ensure-safe-drinking-water-by-eu-court-1579795.html

THMs are considered dangerous to both human health and the environment with high levels of THMs linked to diseases of the liver, kidney and central nervous system as well as bladder and colon cancer.

They can also cause gastrointestinal problems and skin irritation.

The findings by the CJEU relate to 21 public water supplies and nine private water group schemes.

The public water schemes include those supplying drinking water to Kilkenny c=City; Bray, Co Wicklow; Schull, Co Cork; Ring, Co Waterford; Glenties, Co Donegal; Greystones, Co Wicklow; and Granard, Co Longford.

Other than that I guess wait to see if we get a leaflet through the door unless someone else can find anything better.

Like I said a few times on thread. If anything good comes from this scheme it will be that people will invest in cleaning their drinking / cooking water supply with an under sink filter (or if theres anything else I'd be interested to hear about it for sure) as it will be more cost effective than bottled water with Re-Turn deposits added.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Producer **** up not registering the barcode

This is the full list from the Irish Times article I linked earlier.

It should be widely available especially as during the Summer people will be moving around the country more.

West Clare – Regional Water Supply (New Water Treatment Plant) – Population: 8,702

West Clare – Regional Water Supply (Old Water Treatment Plant) – 3,028

Cork – Mitchelstown North – 2,317

Cork – Castletownbere – 2,328

Donegal – Lettermacaward – 2,266

Donegal – Glenties-Ardara – 3,518

Donegal – Milford – 3,714

Kerry – Aughacasla – 340

Kerry – Cahersiveen – 1,500

Kerry – CaraghLake – 1,866

Kerry – Listowel – 14,905

Kerry – Kilgarvan – 656

Kerry – Lyreacrompane – 2,490

Kilkenny City Radestown – 14,162

Limerick City Environs – 114,764

Longford Central – 17,354

Meath – Drumconrath – 1,151

Meath – Navan 10.360

Offaly – Clare/Ferbane – 7,341

Roscommon – North East Regional – 7,997

Tipperary – Nenagh – 14,483

Tipperary – Thurles – 11,394

Wicklow – Aughrim/Annacurra – 1,583

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭greasepalm

First time using machine and only 1 rejection wrong barcode and no logo. Everything went smoothly as was carrying a green tote with everything to hand. 7.70 refunded and happy i was getting getting rid of all stock i had.

SuperValu in Mt.Merrion i rang yesterday to see when switched on and told at opening hours and as getting out of car came to life. First thing in the morning and first to use it and machine gets emptied twice a day they said.

Simple and straight forward and it did have a finish button to press and 1 receipt.

Happy no issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Surely return numbers will never reached the wanted figures?

For example - at an Intercounty match yesterday, between both panels and management there were probably 60 bottles of water (with logos) opened and about 40 Lucozade Sports (with logos). Logic would say that 0 of those will be returned via a machine. The team is getting screwed every matchday.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Teams used reusable bottles in the past, they can go back

• Registered Users Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I dunno. Intercounty with a million people in and around the setup, that just becomes a mess with things getting lost.

That's €15 and it might be worthwhile providing a container to collect the empties.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Hell of a leap to 0. The club hosting the game would collect any & bring them back, same as they'll be doing at training/matches already.

Still think 'on the go' will be the biggest problem for the scheme. Are people going to go out of their way to find a machine/bring it home or just pop it in nearest bin. If you don't use cash at all would you be bothered for 20c. Can see a lot being left on tables for others to return though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

I find this whole process really satisfying as an avid recycler. Justl so enjoyable using the machine and rewarding getting the money and into the shop with it.

I was telling my sister about how easy it was and she just stares at me .. "eh yeah we had to do this all the time I lived in ithaca NY." Totally normal in most other countries.

The moaning on here is the most eye rolling stuff I've ever read on boards. That is saying something with the constant whinging on here across the board in general 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I always recycle my plastic bottles, cans and cardboard, in the green bin outside my front door - which I pay a monthly fee for.

This morning I had to bring a bag of cans and bottles to a machine to recycle them, instead of putting them in the bin right outside my front door, to get my deposits back.

That is futile. We should have one system or the other, but not both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭randomname2005

I would be an avid recycler too, and love how my previous set up worked well. One recycle bin in the house that all recyclables went into. Now there are two. Many of us can't just rearrange our storage to have a second bin especially as you can't crush them to take up less space.

Usage of the machines has varied for me. Sone problems initially, probably due to suppliers not having the barcode listed and having valid cans rejected. But dropped about 30 cans in (no judgement, right?) with no issues yesterday.

My biggest issue is the lack of easily available logic behind it. Yes, our recycling numbers are lower than needed, but I couldn't find any data where the breakdown was explained. If most or all of the containers purchased as part of a weekly shop are recycled, and very few of the 'on the go ' purchases, or kids lunch purchases are recycled, I don't think this scheme will be the panacea they expect as many people will not carry the containers around with them, and school kids are too cool to be worrying about 20c.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

When it works it fine, except for the lack of direct payment. No doubt that was at the behest of the retailers as it gives them almost guaranteed spend.

The issues, as with all these type of rollouts, is that not enough is done to ensure that there are minimal issues.

Broken machines, retailers charging deposits on products not part of the scheme (older stock), machines refusing what appears to be perfectly fine products. Issues with delivery services.

All of that should have been forseen and extra care taken to minimise their occurance to avoid any rejection of the scheme.

Like the smoking ban, plastic ban levy etc, eventually it will all work out but why the disregard for peoples obvious reluctantance which will only increase if things don't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,274 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yes and the vast majority of responsible citizens and voters will agree with you.

It may be nothing to do with local councillors as a decision but as it affects people locally, burn their ears and vote accordingly in June. Likewise for the Euro elections who by accounts here, are really responsible. Toss the incumbents out on their ears!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Those who will recycle will do it. Dirtbags who litter aren't going to change their tune for a few cent.

If the local councils would actually collect rubbish from public bins, but also install segregated bins to allow for recycling and composting in public, we wouldn't need this stupid system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,273 ✭✭✭jj880

If someone can find an RVM scheme that takes the p!ss out of the customer as much as Re-Turn please post the details here.

I havent seen any yet.

Then we'll see how "enjoyable" and "rewarding" it is to use a comparable scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭nachouser

Aside from a photo op, does anyone honestly think Simon or Caoimhe Harris are going to be rocking up to their local Aldi with a bag of cans anytime soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,274 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Indeed, that should have been the very first thing they tried. It's a disgrace how the number of bins has reduced over time, rather than increased and adapted to recycling. The LAs will say people were abusing the bins and putting domestic rubbish in, but they could monitor that with CCTV. The truth is more like that they can't be arsed to empty them in timely fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Nearly lost the will to live this evening using the one in Aldi.

Had a mix of cans and water bottles all from same multipacks but kept randomly telling me this one not part of the scheme. An absolute lie and load of crap, all had the logo and paid deposit on them all.

Anyway it eventually took them all, after many attempts.

I must have been giving out loud because myself and lady beside ended up chatting about how it was a load of nonsense as we recycled everything anyway in our green bin!

Moral of the story keep trying even if rejecting them if you know they are OK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭randomname2005

I wish this was the only reason, but people can't be trusted. There is the possibility of household rubbish, but people throwing random crap in recycle bins too. Not looking at the description, just throwing it in

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

I was stuck waiting about ten minutes for the two in front of me today in Aldi. Both had black sacks full to the brim. One seemed to be having a lot of problems with theirs as most of their bottles were crushed so they ended up dumping at least half of them in the reject container. I was next so I hung on, but there was a queue behind me when they eventually finished.

In fairness the machine worked fine for me when I eventually got to it. Pain in the arse compared to the green bin though.

Popped into Lidl for a few things after and both machines were out of order and seen a number of people leaving with bags of cans/bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,014 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Can a retailer post here of the experience of what goes on behind the scene?

After the bin is emptied, where does the plastic go?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 17,256 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Wouldn't surprise me if there is a breaking story in the future where some of this recycling is ending up in the incinerator…

• Registered Users Posts: 81,188 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I've seen a video of the cans and plastic bottles all crushed and placed in Re-Turn branded plastic crates (similar to the size bulk potatoes are stored in), no seperation, they are then loaded in to a Re-Turn bin truck which then compacts them further.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭bog master

Same experience last week. Couple with 2 trolleys with black sacks. He was loading them in, those rejected were fired into the other trolley. Still at it when I finished the shopping-at least 15 minutes they were at it.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,021 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Went to my local supervalu yesterday with €6.70 worth of deposit material. Not only was the machine not working, but it actually had the shutters pulled down in it, at 4:45 in the afternoon.

Off to Lidl with me and my custom. Supervalu lost about €70s worth of shopping from me.

Seems certain retailers beginning to give up on this scheme.

Retailers the size of Supervalu stores aren't allowed give up.

Needs to be some enforcement of the manual returns if machines are OOO, I suspect there'd be a hell of a lot more effort put in to keeping them online in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭airy fairy

The local Supervalu one opens way after their store opening time and closes way before closing time. Possibly 2 hours at either side any time I've passed.

Someone said earlier here that the machines cannot be upgraded technically. Does that mean deposits will be increased at some point to pay for the upgrade costs of new machines, to move us to this century as regards to getting us from slips of paper to digital refunds?

We don't use many plastic bottles here, but I pay with card, I would like refunds (if not shopping) to be given to me through the card also.

And surely if refunds can only be spent in the shop in which you use their return machine, is that not against some kind of competition law? It makes little sense if I buy a can of coke on a journey, and want to dispose of same, I either have forfeit the deposit or bring it to a large shop for a coin refund. (Going back to previous point where I don't use cash). It's almost as if the system is made to be as awkward to the consumer so the retailer benefits.

• Advertisement

There's multiple models of machine from multiple manufacturers; if there's card / EFT return based systems elsewhere using the same families of machines I'd presume there's upgrade paths but some may not have any.

The cash return option would make any competition complaint irrelevant.

Advertisement