Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,846 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

That press release 14 May with those dodgy numbers has the paragraph below. The number is going to be fluid. A can bought in March could turn up in a machine in September.

Return rates

The Irish Scheme began on 1 February 2024. Retailers are still phasing out non-logo and non-deposit drinks containers on shelves until the end of the transition period, 31 May 2024. Therefore, Ireland will not have a full year of the scheme in action until 1 June 2025 to assess more accurate return metrics.

The assumption of an equal number of containers sold daily throughout the year, 5 million per day, doesn’t align with the actual sales pattern of drink containers. Peak periods, such as Christmas and the summer months, significantly impact sales. Additionally, this method fails to consider the volume of non-deposit stock sold by retailers during the transition period until 31 May.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭SteM

The longer it takes for a can to make it's way into a machine the less likely it is to end up in one. Ireland isn't full of people hoarding cans for months on end, they'll bring them back doing the next shop or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,846 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I still have full cans I bought at Christmas. If they were in the scheme, I couldn't bring them back full.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭vafankillar

hand in a cv mate, plenty of retail jobs going if you're that confident you can improve it all

• Registered Users Posts: 18,489 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Surely they can provide figures in relation to how many of the items collected were actually recycled?

Even the "sold per day" figures should be released - no matter when they end up in the machines (if ever) it would be good for transparancy to have a full outline of the amount of items sold in scope versus those that are collected - over time you'd get a significant indication of what percentage was being collected - which again is the whole point of the scheme (Measuring collections verus sold)

At some point the number CANNOT be fluid. Else what is the point of having a 90 percent target……..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,489 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Then you'd need to be aware it's likely those cans would be in the "not returned" percentage unless you know when they were actually counting that KPI - the collection rate of 90 percent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭howiya

I already have a job thanks mate.

I also don't need to do anything to improve it all. That's your job.

Whether you like it or not S.I. 599/2021 places obligations on retailers. One of those obligations is to take back in-scope materials It also says that it is an offence not to fulfill those obligations.

Your glib "hand in a cv mate" won't absolve you or your employer of those responsibilities and having to comply with the law.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,293 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Went to my local supervalu today at 6pm, what I thought would be prime recycling time.

Shutters pulled down over the machine.

No opening hours indicated on it.

That's after going to it on Sunday, twice, and it begin out of order both times.

Some Shops obviously do not give a crap about this scheme and the absolute inconvenience it is on customers, especially those who were RECYCLING THESE FCUKING THINGS AT 100% RATE ALREADY!!!!!

this scheme is an absolute cluster fcuk

• Registered Users Posts: 81,853 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Looks like multipack barcodes have not been updated to new codes that reflect they contain newly barcoded cans which are accepted by the scheme, proper schoolboy error stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭vafankillar

the prisons would be full if they were charging everyone with this scary offence everytime it was commited🤣

good luck to ya mate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

A question for you fine folk. The last time we used the machines, part way through the process the machine just stopped working and in effect we lost what we had put in. I've let a fair whack of bottles build up and am wondering, if we input these as we did before and the machine again has an error, are you simply fecked? Is it money gone? If I'm putting a load of bottles in that comes to €10+ and the machine stops working…… what's the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

The store own the machine so the store needs to sort it out for you.

The machines keep a log so they can see what you put in the machine and exactly how much you are owed.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Gary_dunne

Been having a back and forth with Lidl for the past couple of hours through their live chat feature who told me to go to Return as there's nothing they can do.

Dealing with them now on WhatsApp and they keep saying "Any old stock sold in store without the Return logo should still be accepted at the machine if you scan the barcode". That's all well and good but these old multipacks don't have any barcodes on the cans!

All this stress and effort for the principle of €1.80. Reckon I'll just go to Lidl after work and get another 12 pack and before I pay make them try and scan a can for return to show them in person what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,186 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Re-turn realistically can't do anything - Lidl have charged you money they have never given to re-turn.

Yep, you and I both know this, just a shame Lidl refuse to accept their error.

As I said I'll go in get the cans, drink one and get one of their staff to try and return it to show them the issue. Can't see that plan going well though, ha.

The young fella came home with one of those freshly squeezed orange juices from Lidl last night and I noticed they're charging 15c deposit for a 500ml bottle. They seem to be a bit of a shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Why? it meets the requirement < = 500 ml and content is within scope

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Lidl's WhatsApp's response "I do apologize for this. I can add a coupon to the app to reimburse you if you like?"

Seems that they now what they are doing and just hoping too many don't call them out on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Arguable. Its bought as an empty container and I didn't think empty containers were in scope?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭jj880

Is there any reason an RVM cant automatically produce a voucher for whats been returned before shiteing itself?

If you were cynical you might think its so people give up and the deposits stay within Re-Turn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Quay_Koncept

For the amount of hassle of bringing back soft drinks cans and the extra bin in kitchen, bringing sticky bottles back and all that lark I might just buy a Soda Stream machine like back in the 80s, although the gas is 20 quid per bottle so it might work out just as expensive as buying soft drink cans.

A €3 good will gesture when I pointed out that what they’re doing is illegal.
    Same as previous poster has to be used within 7 days.

Ah, I though it was 25c 500ml and up. Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Report to the council? They'll do feck all cause they'll have no plan for dealing with this but it's in their remit to enforce and the sooner they start realising that the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,883 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Yes we Robbed your money, you caught us!

Smiley Face

I know, I went back to them and said "Can you ensure that this stock will not be sold with the deposit on it to others? As it is not in scope and it's illegal to charge this."

They said "I will have this passed onto the store".

I'll have a stroll over tomorrow and see if there's been any change and show them the messages if they try and charge me the deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭argentum

Some Dunnes selling all bottles and cans without the sign on them half price to get rid of stock before the end of the month including beer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

That's what I got. They know somethings up. It should be mentioned to the press. I've lost all faith with Lidl now.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,883 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

What beer were they selling that was double the MUP?

• Advertisement

Well I reported it to Return and they came back with a case template, so have that filled out added in all the screenshots of our WhatsApp messages etc so hopefully something will be done, although I doubt it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement