Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why I'll say no to a united ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Francis McM

A " truth and reconciliation tribunal" is not going to work when well known leaders will not even admit they were in the IRA. It would also cost an absolute fortune, would achieve nothing ( seeing as many people have passed on ). Look at the murder of Jean McColville, her abductors / murderers would not even reveal who done it or what happened to her, never mind by whom, or where she was buried, until her remains ( showing forensic signs of torture) were uncovered by beach erosion in Co. Louth.

There have also been inquiries in to some of the events during the troubles : one inquiry alone cost more than £200 million and is thought by some to have been a shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pureza

A truth and reconciliation forum is not a court of law designed to punish and carry on the old resentments and victimhood

The clue to its purpose is in its name

The Forum for Peace and Reconciliation (an Fóram um Shíocháin agus Athmhuintearas) was a forum established by the Irish government in October 1994 as part of the N,. Ireland peace process.

It did not help find out even where Jean McColvilles remains were buried, they were uncovered by beach erosion in Co. Louth in 2003.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

If you're going to persist with this, could you at least show enough respect to get her name right? It's Jean McConville.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,121 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It is a disgrace that neither government has done what they committed to do on Truth.
    There is no way anyone is going into a one sided truth process…it is either all the combatants/players or it is not going to happen at all and we might as well move on.

The example of the ICLVR (International Commission For The Location Of Victims Remains) is a good one, and shows that the IRA and other republicans are willing to take part once trust is established.

Effective leadership from those involved in these processes is extremely important. With regards the
    ICLVR, leadership has been essential for both the ICLVR and Republicans engaging with the search
    process.
    Leadership has been described as: Crucial…once the Republican leadership – both Sinn Féin and the IRA – engaged with this issue properly and created their own structures in order to manage it, that’s when the issue
    begins to be resolved…It doesn’t work until you have that top-down commitment to making it
    work. So it’s absolutely central.8

http://www.niassembly.gov.uk/globalassets/documents/raise/knowledge_exchange/briefing_papers/series7/dempster180418.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,243 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Kingsmill was authorised to the very top. But what surprises me more is that you seem to think that sectarian acts by their IRA are unusual.

The IRA were blatantly sectarian and in areas like I live they singled out protestants and protestant businesses for attack and intimidation. Do you honestly doubt that? do I need to provide the evidence for you? Or are you just on the wind up?

Sectarian tit for tat you mean

Of course that was wholesale during the troubles

Id rather we moved on and consign the bad to the past and the good to the future

Dwelling and mulling is unhealthy

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭beeker1

Too soon for border polls , until we stop using all those atrocities as some sort of stick to beat each other with then they'll always be open wounds ! Perhaps it's the kids who are just starting school now will be the right generation to choose , there are still too many bigots whose poison needs to be diluted through time !

You can say it was Sectarian tit for tat but the point was, as Downcow pointed out, "The IRA were blatantly sectarian". Not only that, but they ( along with INLA who were also sectarian) killed 60% of those killed during the troubles, and caused over 99% of the countless damage to property / economy, by being responsible for over 99% of the explosions etc ). I agree it is healthier to look to the future rather than commemorating sectarian killers of the past, so why did Michelle O'Neill say there was "no alternative" to the pIRA? She may have been told to say that by the a.c. but even so? You say "I'd rather we moved on" - when sectarian killers of the past are no longer glorified then we'll be moving on.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,267 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Say what? Sinn Fein have been in power in the North for two decades.

Michelle O'Neill is a former Minister for Health.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,267 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I also believe that Kingsmill was an authorised action.

There were blatantly sectarian loyalists too

NI was a blatantly anti catholic state,internment,no vote unless you owned a house amongst other discriminatory laws

Tit for Tat,mans inhumanity to man grew in that environment

You seem not to know enough about your countries modern history

Glorification today should be a private/low key affair

You're not going to get rid of it and I suspect your biggest problem is/will be that its not on an increasing number of peoples radar because they've moved on

Of course there were blatantly sectarian loyalist paramilitaries too, but none of the mainstream leaders of unionism said there was "no alternative" to their campaign, and no football grounds have been named after them etc.

As regards internment, internment was also used down here successfully against the IRA during WW2 ( Dev even shot some IRA prisoners in prison in cold blood and there was no outcry), and internment was also used south of the order against the IRA during the IRA border campaign of 1956-62. You seem to know little of this countries history.

I agree with you though that glorification should be a private / low key affair, not like Michelle O’Neill, for example who a few years ago attended the unveiling of a monument to three pIRA men.

If you have to go back to WW2 to justify ignoring institutionalised state sectarianism in the North,why stop there?

Lets introduce burning and sacking of protestants island wide just 20 years earlier

This is all barrel scraping for the sake of not moving on,which to be brutally honest is also sectarianism

No end to the irony in this thread

Unionist and British can remember and honour their dead but Nationalists are not allowed to in the world of some. Never changes.

Even if there is not a UI we have to find a space where everyone is allowed to honour and respect the dead they chose to honour and respect.

There will forevermore be two narratives about what happened here. As our own centenary of commemoration showed, several different narratives of the past can co-exist.

"Unionist and British" generally do not honour loyalist paramilitaries to the same extent in N.I. as the party of Michelle O'Neill honours Republican paramilitaries, the GAA honours Republican paramilitaries in naming grounds etc.

Interesting you claim "As our own centenary of commemoration showed, several different narratives of the past can co-exist." Co-exist in this republic? You must be joking. Even when some Irish people wanted to commemorate the RIC of over 100 years ago - a force that contained many Catholics and Nationalists - it was not allowed by many Republicans as they felt it was "too British".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

interesting article - especially his point around the subtle preparation for unity - I’d say his blood was boiling when that article was the headline news 😀.

Saying that, as much as this staunch Unionist is miffed, my own belief is that thankfully we’re many years away from unity if at all

“The 81-year-old is convinced that rather than helping save the Union, the DUP is failing to stop Northern Ireland move closer to a united Ireland.

“We are heading for a united Ireland and there’s no doubt about that,” he said.

The Rev Foster was previously an editor with Ulster Television before taking up the cloth.

He added: “The other night I was watching the news on TV and first item on the agenda was the appointment of a new Taoiseach in the Republic. That’s just one example of what’s happening.”

“We are being subtly prepared for unity. We are drifting there, of that there is no doubt.”
    https://m.sundayworld.com/news/northern-ireland-news/dup-will-reap-what-they-sow-the-partys-finished-says-founding-father-rev-ivan-foster/a1407305297.html

There you go, dictating who can remember and who can be remembered.
    Loyalist paramilitaries and the British Army are honoured and remembered too and more's the point will continue to be.

And I don't have an issue with that as long as it is respectful.

“We are being subtly prepared for unity. We are drifting there, of that there is no doubt.”

Senior Unionists know well what is going on.

Down here you have the most anti-UI party we have - Fine Gael, flying kites about it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Didn’t you vote for FG one time? Why would a lifelong republican do so if they are the most anti-UI party here. There’s a number of holes emerging in your story, Francis.

• Advertisement

Believe it or not (god knows I have said it often enough) I am not a member of any party.
    If I agreed with every policy of one party, I would probably be a member of that party.

Also, believe it or not I was never of the opinion that unity should just happen, work has only really begun on conversing about it relatively recently.
    I knew FG were conservatives, I knew they were anti a UI, but I was able to ignore that and vote for what Kenny was offering but sadly didn't deliver in the slightest.

Not afraid to admit that was a mistake.

Theres a huge difference Francie

The IRA and similar killed their fellow countrymen in a country where the vast majority of the population opposed their actions

There is no difference when it comes to remembering your dead. You are never going to be able to tell people to 'feel differently'.

ah sher we know they do - they’re Kings at playing games with both minds and people- they’re like a troll on boards - answering a question with another question etc- never giving a straight answer.

I don’t want a United ireland in my lifetime as I don’t think it will be pretty - maybe 40-50 years from now but I think the key problem even then will be economic unity not just ideology unity

I think the key problem even then will be economic unity

That's why Unionists fear the Protocol so much, because what we have now is incremental economic alignment which will make a UI when it comes, so much smoother and less disruptive.

well as an “objector” right now, that’s probably one of the few reasons I have - we’re a small nation rooted in the EU - we need all the economic stability we can get our hands on- we’ve seen we can’t even look after the people in the 26 counties so there’s no way we can take on the 6 counties right now even if they were banging down our door looking to come in

so you think the Bloody Sunday enquiry and subsequent apology was uncalled for?

Do you think it was ok for sf and the ira to refuse to participate in the Kingsmill inquest? Was this not a disgusting cowardly decision.
    the coroner was clear. It was intentionally sectarian and sf were involved in it. Incredible stuff!

That's a bit like the 'we shouldn't be spending on art galleries when there aren't enough hospital places for children'.

Nice ideals but not really how things have ever worked.

• Advertisement

Bloody Sunday was the 'state' shooting innocent people dead in the streets. The State.

Advertisement