Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site is a graveyard - How can boards save itself? [Threadbanned users in 1st post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I'm not reading all 44 pages on this graveyard of a thread!

Seriously, moderation can be inconsistent and be a good thing. A post on one thread could cause chaos and need action, a similar post on another thread with different, more mature/experienced users, it just gets ignored naturally. No need to mod it.

Ridiculous that there was no Donaldson thread. Can't see the rationale for that at all.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Milominderbender

Anyone who thinks maybe joining NATO and signing up to be cannon fodder in WW3 is not in our national interest is labelled a Russian bot.

Heaven forbid that this country pursues an independent geopolitical strategy. Or even threatens to in order to improve the lot of the Irish people. When the international financiers attempted so saddle Iceland with bankers debts they said "it looks like we may have to find new friends". Ireland just added an extra 60 billion onto our national debt without a whimper.

I also got banned for not joining in the Enoch Burke hate fest. I said "whatever you think of him he will be on record as someone who opposed the sterilization of vulnerable children". You are free to agree with the moderators on this website. That's why I've had little engagement with it since setting up an account.

The site is dying because it is an echo chamber

• Registered Users Posts: 10,503 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

If it's an echo chamber, and I don't agree it is, posts like that, which are grandstanding on topics or issues other than that of the thread, are a perfect example of some of the cause.

Post edited by Jim_Hodge on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Shoog

This is not a place to discuss your opinions on Russia, it is a feedback forum. I was simply pointing out the reality of your situation so you weren't confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Some people seem to think having right, or far-right, opinions gets them “sanctioned”.

When, in reality, they just couldn’t “express” their, odious, opinions in a civil manner or they couldn’t follow some of the other site rules.

It really isn’t hard to avoid sanctions or discuss any topic in a civil “manner”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,552 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Some people seem to think having ordinary middle of the road opinions gets them “sanctioned”. In fact, many posters on this thread report just this.

It's kinda convenient how you justify this by labelling them as 'right or far-right'. And rather telling.

They can report all they want, as long as it’s not in breach of the rules nothing will happen.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 10,503 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

One man's far right is another man's middle of the road. Accept it and get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Everybody thinks their opinions are reasonable: otherwise they wouldn't hold them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭batistuta9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Notmything

Yet you have had how many accounts here?

One thing that baffles me, all the doomsayers who re reg time and time again while saying how crap it is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭archfi

And all the ones who re-reg time and time again who absolutely love it here.

Some even manage to accumulate thousands of obvious re-reg posts bemoaning 'middle-aged' bald men amongst other brilliant insights.

That's low level.

Amazing.

Amazing.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

Well now, “low level” sure does seem like the word of the day for some. Can’t say I’ve heard of it before, do we have a definition of what it constitutes?

So far, I’ve only seen it used when, that most protected and sensitive of “species”, angry, gammon faced, middle aged men have a mirror held up to them. Which, from what I can see, does not contravene any site rules.

Sounds like a, desperate, attempt, by a certain “cohort”, to get good people they don’t like, off the site. To me, anyway.

Can anyone tell me, is it “low level” trolling for a guy to rereg on the site, posing as a “silly girl” parody or overweight/mature woman? You know the type, they rack up a few hundred posts very quickly, in a variety of threads/forums, all the while pretending they’re new to the site, but all the while showing a keen familiarity with it.

Then, when they get up to 4 or 500 hundred posts they quickly move onto expressing hardcore anti trans and anti immigrant opinions, in AH in particular. To be fair, the mods tend to act fast and you’ll see them get the prison bars or in “Dispute Resolution” complaining that they have been hard done by or attacked by a mod.

I don’t see anything in the rules that can be reported in the first part but once they step out of line they get “stung” by the mods, or are open to be reported for clear rule breaches. From what I can see, you can’t just report someone for expressing an opinion you don’t like, not unless the rules get changed to allow that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Can anyone tell me, is it “low level” trolling for a guy to rereg on the site, posing as a “silly girl” parody or overweight/mature woman? 

I'm interested in how you, a "normal user" can state with such confidence who is and isn't a re-reg - are you suspicious of all new accounts claiming to be girls or women? Do you have a tracking tool unavailable to mods/cmods etc?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I would really appreciate it if when reporting someone as a re-reg they indicate who it is a re-reg of. And if you do not know then why are you reporting it? It is not against site rules to abandon/close one account and then start up another. It is against site rules to re-register to evade a ban (be that at site, forum or indeed thread level). Posters are also only allowed to run a single account unless they have specific permission to run a second.

Anyone reporting another user as a re-reg and not saying who they claim the new user to actually be should be subject to sanction themselves imo, it's a very dishonest tactic to get people thrown out of threads.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 984 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mike

Okay! This thread has started to fall apart and become yet another thread for senseless bickering. It was going very well and we have had some very good and constructive suggestions and criticisms.
    I will closed this thread at the end of the day. I think it has run its course.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,334 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Well personally I think re-regging and re-surfacing in the same thread in say Current Affairs or Politics more times than not is done for dishonest reasons, when they misrepresent themselves as 'new' to the discussion. Either to evade a ban or because they were found out making some dodgy claim before and disappeared and are now trying to worm their way back.

If a brand new account pops into a thread (and we've seen many say in the Russia thread) and starts trolling the thread, in their posts displaying obviously old knowledge of the thread, they are clearly a rereg troll. I don't think reporting them as a rereg troll should be subject to sanction.

This is different to someone re-regging for valid reasons (lost access to old account, had asked personal question in such a forum) and then posting regularly elsewhere.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,552 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Your prejudices are very obvious. That's fine, each to their own, but don't pretend to be some great liberal.

What's there to get over? There are several disadvantages to increasing years as no doubt you're aware of yourself. But some of the advantages are both wisdom acquired and a willingness to share it without really caring what people think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,526 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

One last suggestion - accept that Vanilla can't replicate the appearance of old Boards and scrap all the modifications that attempt to do that.

Every time Vanilla push their own update it sends something askew, and every time they fix that it sends something else askew. A site that functions as it should is surely preferable to having something that looks more like Vbulletin but constantly glitches?

Thanks again to all the Mods, CMods and Admins who engaged openly with the thread (and don't forget to update us all 🙂).

• Advertisement

I understand where you are coming from, but if 'raw' Vanilla is the version we had immediately after the migration… I found that unusable and a frustrating experience. It was only when some of the old Boards shortcuts etc were restored the site became usable again for me, and I don't think I was alone in that reaction.

Thank you for sharing your experiences on this. Have any other users had this experience with the "raw" Vanilla version of the site? It would be interesting to have more feedback on this!

Or maybe some users had a more positive experience navigating the "raw" version?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I posted this in a different thread on here but just for reference, this is what "raw" Vanilla would look like without any customisations.

• Administrators Posts: 13,807 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

There is a lot to discuss. We want posters to know that all suggestions are being looked at. Some suggestions aren't possible, and I think we've already addressed those here. But there have been some very good and workable suggestions.

I think the overwhelming feedback has been that many forums are working just fine but increased traffic would be nice. This is something we hope to address. There are also some very obvious problem areas, and these areas will be more difficult to sort out to everyone's satisfaction. It will be impossible to please everybody.

This thread will remain locked once @Boards.ie: Mike closes it this evening but we will update it with changes.

I can't use the "raw" vanilla version, I use the Boards Enhancement Suite which is in the sticky at the top there, easy to install and makes the experience way, way, way, way, way better

@Glaecon thanks for posting that. Can you remember boards immediately post migration? I don't think it looked like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭thesandeman

I couldn't negotiate the "raw" Vanilla at all. I only went back to using it when some of the familiar Boards features were reintroduced albeit named differently and more difficult to navigate.

@Big Bag of Chips that's great that you're saying there will be feedback, but as I mentioned before that's been said on this sort of thread many times before, and then radio silence.

Do you feel like giving a timeframe, or a commitment to when you'll provide updates?

It's also a pretty wishy washy post tbh, you say stuff like

have been some very good and workable suggestions

also some very obvious problem areas

Some, some….what are the suggestions and problems you are seeing, that can be addressed?

You've said some things won't be addressed, or can't be and that's fair enough, but it would be nice to know which things they are, and which things you think can be worked on, before the thread closes.

As BBOC stated. This thread will be updated when The Admin/ Moderation team and The Owner have had time to discuss and evaluate all of the information and suggestions put forward on this thread. There are suggestions that would require fundamental changes to the site which are outside our direct control. This makes it very difficult to commit to a time frame so we will not be doing that.

This thread will be updated when there is something of note to bring to the users of the site.

• Advertisement

Alright so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement