Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site is a graveyard - How can boards save itself? [Threadbanned users in 1st post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,557 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

How do I comment on this without abusing Mike's advice?? I've been accused of soapboxing and now sealioning.

I have genuinely no idea what sealioning is and if it is or isn't allowed in the boards T&Cs and charters. Can you educate me and probably several/ many others as well as to what 'sealioning' is in boards parlance?

The suspicion of many ordinary posters that presumably the site wishes to engage and more importantly keep, is that these criteria are made up by whoever is moderating to close down avenues that they personally do not care for. How is the ordinary poster supposed to navigate these minefields? And it's not just I saying this, the thread is full of frustrated users/ posters, at least two of which have departed since the thread started.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,455 ✭✭✭Shoog

Its the refusal to engage in debate in good faith which is the issue. The points been made are not the issue here it's the method of presenting and defending them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Maybe a closed group for everyone who wants to troll , 'sealion' (?) or soapbox with a few circus clown acts thrown in for good measure 😝

Be like prison but more fun .

Then everyone else could just get back to enjoying the site as best we can in between CloudFlares !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,941 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Sealioning about Sealioning. Great stuff.

I find if there's a term I'm not aware of I Google it (Google is a search engine where you can look things up on the internet).

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭nachouser

C'mon man, you were given the answer on the thread that a Yes vote to the patent ref would mean anyone who developed a new widget would only have to apply once to have it registered in the EU, and have it count in multiple countries, rather than having to apply multiple times. Give it a rest. It's not a conspiracy. Your refusal to accept the answer to your questions is your problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,557 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Ah now I see what it means elsewhere anyway "'Sealioning' is a form of trolling meant to exhaust the other debate participant with no intention of real discourse."

LOL!!! If that's the case there are several very, very active sealions on several long running threads. That perfectly describes the low level trolling they be up to. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,455 ✭✭✭Shoog

But why sea lions ?

Is it because they keep muscling in and passing the ball to and fro ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,941 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Wikipedia says it stems from a webcomic, the character just happened to say they didn't like sealions. If they'd have said they didn't like red pandas or penguins it'd have been called redpandaing or penguining. The animal was not important.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 11,899 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I think the posters who departed were the ones looking for a row / bash people and when the thread became an open and honest discussion they got bored and trundled off to find a row somewhere else.

….

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Loads of forums are dead because of poor moderation.

It seems each forum now doesn't want those with different opinions, but then these forums become graveyards.

Look at this forum. Dead

https://www.boards.ie/categories/childfree-by-choice

Even forums that were busy like the A&A forum is dead, again because of overzealous moderation

The speciality forums are doing ok, and are the ones that have better moderators.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭con747

Some forums just won't stay long term because of other reasons though. That forum had a highest post count in a thread in the 200's so not very popular in all fairness. I agree that mods on the speciality forums are far better but they have less aggro to deal with because the usual suspects rarely venture into them.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

You were abusive to a lot of people in that forum, including calling me a eugenicist. That's not "different opinions", that's just you seeking to shut down opinions you dislike.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,575 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The child free by choice forum is dead because there's only so much you can say about not having kids.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

That was my take. The brigading of the place by people obsessed with condemning childfree people didn't help but ultimately, yeah, there's not much you can say about not having children.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Can you link me to the comment where I called you a eugenicist?

I also reject the comment that I abused people. Not one of my posts was infracted in that forum. Not one.

The forum is hoping, is it?

Or is it dead?

If its dead, why is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,538 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Christ, there's a lot of that here, I just didnt know ot had a name.

Just to clarify, I don't specifically mean this thread.

• Advertisement

I think it's a reflection though of poor modding decisions that ultimately kill a forum.

The soccer forum is similar, as are others. Remember the poker forum? That caused a huge split back in the day, that almost killed the site.

It appears that a lot of mods like a quiet forum, it makes their job easier, but that then just kills the site slowly and surely.

I am not saying modding a forum or a site is easy, it is hard, but some mods see their forum as their own personal fiefdom where they will engage in the day-to-day chat and debate, but will happily use and abuse its power for wrongthink.

To a point true, but then why was it opened and why does it remain open?

This is true for all forums that are dead. Just close them if there is no engagement.

100%

I seem to remember that soapboxing is NOT allowed, but it's apparent that in some active threads, there is a small but dedicated set of posters who will endlessly post all day, day in day out, in the most banal way about a topic.

What ends up happening is that the posts dive in quality, and the select few just end up ruining the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭ULEZ23

I still reckon it’s dead because those who strongly advocated the set up eventually found partners and had kids! Most of the initial contributors were singletons hiding behind the not wanting to have kids as the reason for not being able to find a partner. It worked out for them in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭ULEZ23

a bug bearer for me is stickies. This very section has 10 stickies half of which haven’t been updated in over a year. How many of these are even still useful or contain correct or up to date are information? Common theme in a lot of forums which in turn take up too much real estate

• Registered Users Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

if you click the little gear/cog icon and select ‘Dismiss’ they should drop down until posted in like a regular thread.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Administrators Posts: 13,809 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

A few years back moderators were advised to look at their stickies and tidy them up. Remove unnecessary ones. Tidy up/update ones that are needed.

Definitely worth recommending same again 👍🏻

How many posters ever read any stickies? Other than (even?) the charter?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,932 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

That makes no sense. A free for all with no rules whatsoever would entirely kill the forum altogether.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

Haven't read the whole thread yet but some constructive comments and the usual complaints about mods from those who the mods have the number of dead on.

Would suggest that the Information for those in need of a little extra help stickie be placed as one in the CA forum and maybe a few others, there is already a similar stickie in the personal issues forum. I know that it is being argued that they take up space but if kept up to date they could provide helpful information for some when they are ready to use it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,575 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

hey, it worked for twitter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement