Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site is a graveyard - How can boards save itself? [Threadbanned users in 1st post]

Options
  • 29-03-2024 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Seems to be getting worse and worse. How can boards save themselves?

New backend system?

Not been afraid to have controversial topics? If the site owners are worried about this they really need to get an education on the internet.

Better moderators? Maybe younger ones who are up to speed with the younger generation?

Realizing people have their own opinions?

Its different than reddit but Reddit seems to flow contionusly with great conteant and controversial opinopns are allowed.

I just think boards need better research. Its not the year 2000.

Moderator:

List of threadbanned users:

Green Peter (Permanent)

Mad_Lad (expired on April 12th)

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

What age are the Moderators?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

It depends on what topic or forum you're looking at. There's always at least 50 threads with posts within any half hour. Some forums are busier than others. After Hours has slowed a bit in recent years but other topics are very active. The traffic is there but maybe not where you're interested. There's a huge about of information, support and advice posted every day.

It probably suits a certain demographic but as long as it's active on any topics, and being used by enough posters, then it's doing what it's meant to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Ted222

I’m no expert but I suspect moderation relates to legal exposure.

It may be handy to assume that everyone can say anything they want at any stage without consequence, but I suspect the site is always exposed to the threat of legal action.

In the circumstances, it’s perhaps understandable that the unpaid moderators will err on the side of caution from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭raxy

My biggest bug about this site is not allowing recommendations unless they are by pm. Means any post I read because I'd like to see the recommendations are useless.

I get that people can post recommendations for their own companies but I'm not an idiot, I don't take what I read on boards as gospel. But it would be nice to be able to see them so I can look them up myself.

I made a post before & a mod replied to say recommendations by pm only even though the rules of the forum said recommendations were allowed. Needless to say the mod did not reply when I asked why he was going against forum rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,014 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

It's the age demographic. No new blood. The younger generations aren't going to be hanging out on boards.ie

It's going like the Catholic church; fazing out.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Maybe start hosting in russia?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,975 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

They should allow the moderators to marry. 😛

• Registered Users Posts: 13,014 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

That's it exactly, have never talked about boards.ie with anyone younger than myself that has heard of it and I'm 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Boards is essentially a retirement home in terms of internet demographics, the more you open the floor for controversial opinions from elderly cranks the more it's going to give the site a bad reputation and scare away young people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭This is it

"Slowed a bit" is an understatement. There was a time when you could ask a question on any topic and you'd have a reply in minutes, After Hours front page was ever changing with new posts every few seconds. These days it's tumbleweed in most forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭ottolwinner

it’s probably not visual or fast enough for younger users.
    I’ll have to resign myself to being an oldie now so!! I like the pace of it. Check in and out when you like a and be able to follow where you left off reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,848 ✭✭✭Gusser09

The site is gone to the dogs because of heavy handed modding. Its that simple. Ive a lifetime ban from the football forum ffs 🤣. The football mods are like the SS.

Also we're not allowed to discuss the most relevant topics of the day due to draconian site rules. Id agree its on its last legs. They only have themselves to blame.

Donaldson charged in NI. Reddit and social media blowing up. Yet a certain mod wants us to pretend the charges dont exist. Thats just one of many examples.

They really need to look at the laws around defamation and libel and educate themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭con747

I think we got numbers once or twice since vanilla in relation to the traffic visiting but that vanished quick enough. When you could see the amount of members and visitors online it was easy to know if it was worth bothering but now I see the site with no new posts for anything up to an hour at night. It's lost a lot of people since the big change and losing more each day.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Boards is dead and buried. But in three days time it will rise again and appear to many.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

They should change the name to Z.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Inconsistency and unfairness by moderators in who, if, when and how they apply sanctions, or not, as the mood suits them, would be my main criticism.

Also when there is a problem with a mod, the Cmods and Admins will usually circle the wagons, rather than overturn an unfair action by a mod.

(I'll probably get a warning for this).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭This is it

Meh, blaming the mods is too simplistic. It's certainly part of it but I don't think it's the main reason.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Don't think there's ever been a time when posters around here haven't been moaning about mods, and it never stops the same banned users re-regging over and over and over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Rooks

Mods on Reddit are no better. This discussion format is a dying breed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,354 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I think that's pretty much it. How many people under the age of 25 are on the site? It's as clear as day if you look at a thread on Reddit and if there's an equivalent thread here that the demographics of the posters are totally different. The bottom line is that user base is aging out and there's no new blood taking their place. A lot of people would take one look at the craic in CA and run a mile.

People have been taking umbrage with the moderation on boards since the year dot. IMO boards seems to less moderated now than ever before. Certain fora like television and radio seem relatively lawless now compared to how they used to be. And other sub-forums where the moderation was always traditionally light touch are similarly dying on their arse. This shows to me the complete fallacy of blaming the slowdown of the site on moderation.

Boards is still lively enough for what it is, but the days of being able to spend hours on AH are a thing of the past. But are there many other big forums out there that are still booming in this day and age - there can't be many. There were other forums on the internet I would have frequented back in the day and the majority of them are currently alive in name only. Next to them boards is in rude heath.

I don't know if anything can be "done" as such. Times have changed and boards is a bit old fashioned. Everyone I know uses Reddit - I never hear boards mentioned in conversation, aside from people occasionally talking about how they used to post on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,388 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Modding isn't the issue. The site never really recovered from the DDoS attack a few years back and the extended unscheduled downtime during the changeover to Vanilla - followed by the absolute shìtshow that was the change in interface - did the rest of the damage.

As much as I and others want it to be otherwise, Boards is dying a death and has been for quite a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I'm a former Admin, Category Mod and Mod on this site. People have been complaining about Mods, since the day I joined this site. Some mods are excellent, some are good, some not so much and some are sh*t.

Admins do take note of such things and in my time as an Admin and before my time, some mods were demodded. Irish law is not kind to site owners in the way US law is, so Reddit will always allow stronger opinions and commentary than Boards can. As such, some mods need to be a bit more heavy handed on some threads. They're human, they sometimes get things wrong but Boards would have been dead from lawsuits at the height of its fame if it weren't for the mods. Most mods on this site really are excellent though and they do sometimes receive a lot of abuse.

As for recommendations, I once had to siteban two accounts because one was a shill for a weight loss clinic and the other was his second, sockpuppet account. He used both accounts to hold conversations with each other about the supposedly great experience one of the accounts had when using the weight loss clinic. Hundreds of posters were invested in this thread and these seemingly genuine experiences. That was really unfair to people looking for genuine recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

ITa not on young peoplea, under 30, radar.

With them it's Reddit plus whatever else is out there.

Having said that there are some good helpful posters on here with advice etc when needed.

The mods are what they are. Probably some of them doing it too long

They lost me as a reader/poster For a long time when they went to vanilla. The site became disastrous and I just couldn't deal with it.

Came back last year with the tubridy carry-on. Some great posts on that.

It'll struggle on but they'll only have themselves to blame when they go south.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Mod

Moved to feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,497 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I like Boards and even though i've had plenty of cards and bans over the years I don't blame the mods. I actually had good discussions on message with them. Its fast enough for me as i'm no chicken now.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

yip. That’s it. Prime example today, the dirty dog J.Donaldson and boards mods first reaction is you cant post about it. Deleting posts in a frenzy

And I fully expect to be banned or warned….again for this. Because heaven forbid we say anything bad about the mod-excellence

• Registered Users Posts: 10,472 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Amazing how every one of these threads is always posted by someone with a rereg date within the last few months. Almost as if it's someone who's telling everyone how site can't keep any users, while also being absolutely incapable of staying away from the site.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

This is partly it, alright. Am I right in saying the mods are not paid?

But being unable to discuss current court cases and ongoing issues due to court proceedings is ridiculous. This is not the established media with standards. X, reddit, and other forums are way ahead on this type of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,848 ✭✭✭Gusser09

To be fair the site would be even quieter and without the re regs.

They arent the problem.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement