Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site is a graveyard - How can boards save itself? [Threadbanned users in 1st post]

Options

Comments

I can’t say it’s surprising that you are the one who’s complaining about it though.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,152 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

As are most people of his age, including Trump / Mitch McConnell etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭Shoog

The hate speech legislation you are so worked up about is not designed to deal with the sort of language regarding Gemma. This is a big problem with regard to how people are been dragged into attacking it without due cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

yeah I know this, but I'm not allowed to call him sleepy joe, but I am allowed to abuse GO'D

who else is protected, and who else is fair game?

• Administrators Posts: 53,487 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The Sleepy Joe thing is only in that one Biden thread, no?

• Advertisement

I really doubt I can go into the forum and start using the term willy nilly, meanwhile we have mods with free reign to abuse another notable person.

It's weird

• Registered Users Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I didn't write nasty derogatory terms, so why are you trying to deflect? Most sensible people would just advise that you should apologise for using that sort of description. We all make mistakes etc. That's what I'd do.

With respect, I'd hope that you have read the thread concerned? It starts with various posters saying they will vote No to give the government a kicking. That's not a great reason. I'm personally undecided and wished to find out more. The questions I raised are entirely relevant to both the thread in question and the forum. Two issues that I queried have not been answered, now maybe people don't understand them, don't know the answers or whatever but that is no reason to guillotine the debate, to just shut it down!! If this referendum proceeds, I'd expect others will start asking similar questions and I'll look forward to be being informed and to receiving an apology then.

As regards the other matter, I'll message you when I get time.

Soapboxing - can we please get some definition of this term, when it applies and where it applies?

To my mind, soapboxing is when a poster raises matters on a thread that are either quite irrelevant to that thread. And who continues to raise them when clearly the points they raise should be on another thread.

Threads are full of posters and posts who make repeated points about the question at hand. Every discussion thread is full of posters making repeated points. Is this soapboxing? I don't think so - or every thread would rapidly grind to a halt.

So under what criteria is it decided by a moderator when a series of posts relating to the same issues is soapboxing? Why are some points of view considered fine to be repeated ad nauseum but others should be censured for soapboxing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭Shoog

Soap boxing is making a point with no intention of discussing the merrits of that point with other contributors to that thread.

• Advertisement

This has been explained to you already in this thread.

If we take your contributions to the patent thread as an example, you repeatedly suggested that the changes to patent law were some sort of sinister, underhanded sop to multinational companies.

Numerous posters explained to you how it wasn't, including posters clearly much more knowledgable than you on the subject. Because you didn't get the answer you wanted, you kept pushing this point, ignoring what you were told. You had no interest in discussing this topic, you had no intention of posting in good faith, you had no intention of taking on board any counter points to what you were saying, you were simply pushing your own agenda.

This is soapboxing.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 984 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mike

Hi all,

I have been keeping an eye on this thread since it began. There are some wonderful comments, great memories and experiences on Boards and ideas for the future. The comments on some of the negative aspects are also welcome. It helps us to gain a greater understanding of the things that Boards can improve on as a whole.

There was, and admittedly still are, a lot of things to iron out. The feedback in this thread both highlights and helps that. This platform is a credit to each and every contributor both past and present in a regular or moderation role. The variety of discussion and debate found here is inspiring.

In saying that. I hope that this thread can remain on topic so that we can continue to gain, in a constructive way, an understanding of how we can move Boards.ie into the future. A long way into the future I hope.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

• Registered Users Posts: 23,281 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

But surely you can see that this definition is entirely subjective. You can't read my mind or that of any other poster. In this case and I'm mindful of not referring to individual cases, I have absolutely posted in good faith and the issues/ questions I raised were not all answered. Nobody has explained anything other that the background to the referendum and why it might benefit some Irish businesses. But that's not what I asked!!

So clearly you're projecting some notion of 'soapboxing' onto what are valid discussion points. I might ask where in the general guidelines to posting on boards is soapboxing defined?

It's not subjective.

I could post in a thread about the moon about how I think it's made of cheese. Buzz Aldrin himself could reply to me and tell me that he's been there, and the moon is unquestionably dairy free. If I keep posting how I think the moon is made of cheese then when I get kicked from the thread I cannot moan about alternative view being silenced. It's not subjective to say I would be soapboxing in such a scenario.

The background and benefit of that referendum were explained numerous times in the thread to you. Your issue is the answer wasn't what you wanted it to be, so you kept poking, slightly changing your wording but with the same underlying question being asked each time.

You weren't discussing the topic, as a discussion requires a back and forth, point then counter point. You were just repeating yourself over and over again. This is soap boxing.

Numerous times now this has been explained to you.

It's a Politics forum & thread!! Politics.

It is well understood in this country that referendums are tricky matters. That quite often, referendums become about a whole range of other issues and not the topic that is to be voted on. I presume most people would agree with this.

Therefore it follows that no government engages in a referendum without good strong reasons. I simply asked in a Politics forum what these strong reasons might be and who might have been pushing for it. No one has answered this, that's why I politely asked again. If that can't be seen that this is a reasonable question, we may as well give up. Baffling degree of what is censorship by moderation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,576 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

CA should be that “corner”. Let the mods currently looking after it focus on better areas of the site with, more, normal users.

As long as it keeps all the nuts busy and away from the rest of the site. This would require a zero tolerance approach to things like racism, homophobia, bigotry, misogyny and transphobia in AH.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

The problem with that is that these cranks and ne'erdowells crave attention, and will follow the normals to the supposed normal spaces and begin to do what they do there, and then in a year or two you'll be back here asking for yet another normal space away from them.

It's because there isn't the wherewithall to remove them.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 984 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mike

@Furze99 this is not the politics forum. I have asked for users to please keep this thread on topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

what gives?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I think if CA was to go full Wild West - and it's already pretty outré as it is - I think the reputation of the site as a whole could suffer.

It's the busiest site in the place and often the first thing people see when they get here. Boards already has a wider reputation of being full of cranks and oddballs - which I don't think is entirely fair, but, let's face it, it is a thing.

No one bats an eyelid if you say for instance, that you were looking/posting on Reddit, but talk about boards: you're likely to get the piss taken out of you for it.

If the first thing you see when you log onto the site is people going at - really going at - about all things culture war, well, that's going to appeal to some: CA itself would probably get far busier, but it'll be such a turn off to the majority of people you wish to attract.

I think we're maybe on the same page. But I still feel making it, (or a portion of it) members only for the more relaxed mod environment would be necessary for it to function.

Doing this would do a few things

• Make it clear that it was a different area (where different rules apply)
    • People would have to seek it out instead of accidentally finding themselves in it
    • Threads from within it would not clutter up the latest posts or trending tabs which would frustrate people with no interest in that type of conversation
    • Would make it easier to explain different mod approaches
    • Would allow CA to function as it was intended if that remained as its own area
    • May alleviate the fears Arghus has in post above.

Fair enough - I was trying to establish what 'soapboxing' is and how it's judged. As this amtter is relevant to how posters can engage or not with the site. This was just an example.

Current Affairs is not full of 'nuts'. It's populated by a whole range of posters who dip in and out, with their opinions on well 'current affairs'. Indeed there's many moderators here who engage in discussion in CA, some might be 'nuts' but hardly all. I have no doubt but that you yourself sometimes contribute your thoughts to CA threads?

From a site point of view, activity is essential and one way of driving activity is to have a good healthy level of debate. Not least in attracting advertising and creating value etc.

So if the site wants people to engage then it has to facilitate healthy and perhaps sometimes spicy debate. Just as long as posters don't endanger the site with loose language.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,410 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Spot on

I’m finding this aspect of things highly frustrating. It’s like we need a mod to say something first to know it’s ok to say. Other than that we are risking getting warnings for not knowing if something is deemed acceptable or not.

No, I've accepted that these cranks exist. I think ignoring that reality is problematic in a way that is almost worth its own thread itself.

My issue is that mods try to moderate conversations with them in it in the same way as conversations without. And that that has tightened the net to deal with the problems generated by the the most problematic participant.

So now lots of posters regularly feel the effect of this tighter net whereas that problematic participant has found a way to navigate through it and to continue to influence conversations.

And I haven't seen anything since the changeover that has indicated revamping or improving the moderation process or presence to deal with this issue. The contrary in fact has been the case.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

You were answered and you chose to ignore the answers. FFS, one of the people who tried to help is an actual patent attorney. You ignored their posts and went back to pushing your conspiracy theory veiled as "just asking questions". It's called sealioning and other posters here have come to the same conclusion.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Few things ..

How would making it clear that rules never mind different rules apply , make to people who cannot adhere to rules on a regular forum .

People can bypass CA or any threads they don't have an interest in already, simply scroll by .

As it is , the discussion is about creating interest and increasing footfall , your proposal reduces it .

Don't see how CA would be improved upon .just moving some to a group where it is a free for all will just turn more posters off this site .

As it is there are so many extreme threads on the front page it is embarassing .

Credit to you for your level and well thought out argument in favour of a private group in CA.

I just don't agree , and am in favour of increased moderation on contentious threads .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

The problem with creating a hidden CA for more robust debate is that the current CA and Feedback will then be infested with demands that X poster, or X topic, should be sent there.

I can't see it doing anything than creating more problems.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement