Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site is a graveyard - How can boards save itself? [Threadbanned users in 1st post]

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,487 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

You were soapboxing that patent thread. You kept making the same point over and over and over again, and when it is explained to you over and over and over again you are ignoring the explanation.

It concerns me that you don't realise that you're soapboxing this thread, given your recent DRP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭suvigirl

There is no liable, only defamation. Insults are not defamation. Hate speech does not include insults🙄

furze, genuine question for you.

What do you call someone who harasses the mother of a young man who died, posting lies in their newspaper about his cause of death and trying to link it to covid vaccines in order to suggest they are dangerous?

Or about someone who thinks Hitler was a right lad and the Jews invented the holocaust?

Or about someone who harasses members of the public and Gardai both on and off camera?

Do you think that’s a well put together individual?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,576 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I don’t think it’s fair to blame boards for united fans going quiet. It’s fairly well known that a, rather, large chunk of Irish united fans no longer “support” the club.

They have moved on and now have, either, stopped following soccer, altogether, or they’ve started following League of Ireland, specifically Bohs and Shamrock Rovers.

While this is great for LoI, you would have to fear for their attendance should United start winning leagues again. The fickle, fair weather, ex-United fans would leave them just as quick.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 14,410 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

It wouldn’t get to that point. I wouldn’t be calling someone a known person outside of boards as a ‘lunatic’ on a public forum

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 13,816 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Lads can we get back to the feedback please. It has been said on multiple occasions specific comments or threads will not be discussed in this thread.

You don’t call her anything. You don’t refer to her as a personal insult.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭This is it

You can call GO'D what you like, you can't call Bidan "sleepy Joe", and in Soccer you can't use nicknames for managers/players. Wouldn't it be better to just have a "no abuse" rule rather than picking and choosing from thread to thread?

FWIW, I do think she's a lunatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭suvigirl

It appears that the thread has just become another mod bashing thread, as well as a place for posters to post whatever they feel like about other posters, with no repercussions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭Shoog

That has nothing to do with hate speech. That is libal.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,221 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Interested now to see if the mods can see what the rest of us can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,576 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

As expected, it's gone into a loop with certain posters just repeating themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Took two posts to make some sort of apology for the offhand comment which I politely called out in the first instance . Thanks for that but its not to me but all

of us here who are making an effort to contribute to this thread .

You could have just said you didn't rate every post but have been reading them . You said " every post wasn't worth reading " 😕

I am glad you and the other Mods are taking on some of the feedback (that's what I am sure most of us posting here would hope ) and whether you adjust your style or not, it is good that consideration is being given to it , at least.

Edit to add ..just read all of the posts about stuff on another thread and totally get what you mean now about "quality " !

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Xander10

But when you rightly call out some footballers on the soccer forum, for assults on women, the Mods card you.

WHere is the consistency?

Thanks for your good posts , tmh .

I do get what you are saying but am not sure how it would help .

There will be discussions you say of a different level in a sectioned off group and the same discussions on CA ... Am I right ?

Is that not more work for the already stretched CA mods ?

What I have suggested is more mods on CA which might solve the issues you and I are talking about .

If a mod can have more time to stay with a contentious thread and read the posts and flow of discussion properly, before actioning , they will then not only stay on top of trolling (low level) , and a poster would probably not receive a warning like you describe just on the basis of another posters report ( if that is what you suspect happened?)

ie they would have more time and information to judge the situation for themselves .

This is why some of the threads with less traffic are not generating as much complaint imo . The mods have more time to read and form an opinion as to who is being genuine and who is causing trouble . And they have time to give feedback as well .

Maybe then when those threads are going well a group like you mention could be set up also , as the other part of the forum.

You are saying that this private group does not need moderation but surely that is looking for trouble in so far as anything could be happening in there that could potentially cause legal or other problems for the site ?

There would have to be a mod keeping an eye .

Or is it just when somebody reports that a mod intervenes ?

Sorry for the questions, just haven't been on the private groups so just trying to understand what it entails .

Thing about libel, furze, it has to be untrue , afaik .

That is about what I was saying yes. A whinge about a mod saying mean things about GoD of all people is hardly valuable feedback that benefits the site as a whole.

I really can’t see how those particular posts need to be dragged into this thread for any other reason than to have a go at mods, again.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

There will be discussions you say of a different level in a sectioned off group and the same discussions on CA ... Am I right ?

Is that not more work for the already stretched CA mods ?

No. Because the mods are no longer wasting time on conflicts that are now allowable within the access only area.

There would be moderation there, but for cut and dried infractions, not the type of excessive moderation (in a lot of cases) that they end up being involved with.

There will be low level trolls etc, but now, they could be called a troll within that space or ignored or whatever and I feel that this would overall lead to a more favorable outcome than what has existed. I feel a lot of mod time at the moment is dealing with mundane type stuff that if posters could call out the behaviour themselves, it would be less of an issue than what the moderation is.

I haven't seen mods acting on CA AH threads in years (literal years) from a position where I feel they are engaged in the discussion and know the context of how it has gone. I feel probably 95% plus of moderation in those spaces is now as a consequence of flagged posts and that in those instances, it's often done without appropriate context.

• Advertisement

that’s mad it’s almost as if different forums have different rules and standards of posting?

I get you now.

Should have context if reading the threads though.

Sounds good . I agree about calling it out or ignoring .

Feels really good to call it out though :) …until you get that incoming message ." You've been warned ..." !

We're all adults here, I want it to be a pleasant site. But I recognize there are evocative topics and its impossible to remain calm in relation to all of them. But whether by accident or design, the style of moderation that has existed in places like CA and AH since the changeover, where you couldn't react on thread in any way whatsoever, has made it less so.

I've been warned for 'attacking the poster' and when I responded giving a post number on a thread where I was referenced by name in a derogatory manner I was told by the mod that that thread had nothing to do with them. (They are the most senior mod on the site) The forum of the thread I was referring to had no CMod at the time and no effective moderation and so the post remained.

That's beyond frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I can see the merit in having a more free for all forum tucked away, but all you need is one poster with a grudge to report the posts of posters they've had a run in with and it will quickly become a time sink for mods.

It would need to start with a ban for spurious reporters, but that will again set off a Feedback thread complaining about mods.

It's a vicious circle.

Post edited by Leg End Reject on

to be fair I’m not sure how much of that type of thing would actually happen. The controversial opinion thread in AH doesn’t have endless reports from posters trying to get at posters they don’t like.

FWIW in my complaining about mods, I was asked to be a moderator here on one of the sports forums but just seeing the tone of some mods even in this thread I wouldn’t want to be associated with it.

People are saying to not make this a mod bashing thread, but I (and others) clearly need to at least give feedback into what we believe is ruining the site.

We are trying to help the site, but just look at the tone of comments from some mods and you’ll see why some people just don’t bother anymore. Unwarranted arrogance at times.

Would it not become clear that that is what they are doing though?

The mod would review and say, 'not actionable, not actionable, not actionable' and so on and could comment on thread saying flagged posts don't break charter of this space so maybe this isn't the space for you.

I don't know how exactly it would play out. I do expect it might not be pleasant for lots of the site users, hence keeping it locked unless you ask to have access.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Yes, if the thread is read to get the full context.

We have been told before that mods don't read all threads (understandably), but they do respond to reported posts.

You and I have disagreed on threads before but I've never reported your posts, I've never actually seen you being uncivil. But what if I decided to report a post if we got into a heated discussion? One post in isolation could look actionable unless the context is understood and other posts looked at.

I do see the merit in your proposal and it would be good if it was workable.

No, in this instance, the decision can be made that posts are inactionable precisely because context can be excluded. Each post can be read on its merits but because the benchmark of what is inappropriate is higher now, context is less relevant.

Say the situation exists as you describe and you flag a post I made, the only thing I would consider suitable for action is if I called you a swear word or swore at you or was derogatory along the lines of discrimination etc.

What I feel has been happening is that people have been using the technicality of what is actionable to try to remove their opponents from the debate. Oh this poster went off topic, flag it. This poster mentioned another poster, that's attacking the poster, flag it, this poster responded to me only with smiley emoji, flag it and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

So off topic posts are allowed? Thats not debating the topic. Threads will become a total mess.

Baiting another poster by mentioning another poster negatively or misrepresenting them is allowed? Thats not debating.

Badgering them? Trolling them with smiley emojis or memes etc? Thats not debating the topic either.

Which leads to posters responding with the next level of insults and swearing and after all that ... you want the mods to action the person who responds to the baiting. And leave the troll free to continue with negative behaviour. Thats another way to kill a debate.

What you have outlined is a charter for trolls, blatant and for low level trolling and baiting etc

Threads will quickly become toxic. Or killed by dragging them off topic.

Its also a charter for soapboxing. Dumping stuff into a thread, hit and running and ignoring the responses. Thats not debating either. You can put the direct posts by troll or soapboxer on ignore but enough other posters will take the bait and you will still see their crap indirectly.

So those are not technicalities. There's good reasons why they are actionable. And context is needed to spot such conduct.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement