Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭appledrop

Nearly lost the will to live this evening using the one in Aldi.

Had a mix of cans and water bottles all from same multipacks but kept randomly telling me this one not part of the scheme. An absolute lie and load of crap, all had the logo and paid deposit on them all.

Anyway it eventually took them all, after many attempts.

I must have been giving out loud because myself and lady beside ended up chatting about how it was a load of nonsense as we recycled everything anyway in our green bin!

Moral of the story keep trying even if rejecting them if you know they are OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭randomname2005

I wish this was the only reason, but people can't be trusted. There is the possibility of household rubbish, but people throwing random crap in recycle bins too. Not looking at the description, just throwing it in

• Registered Users Posts: 18,909 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

I was stuck waiting about ten minutes for the two in front of me today in Aldi. Both had black sacks full to the brim. One seemed to be having a lot of problems with theirs as most of their bottles were crushed so they ended up dumping at least half of them in the reject container. I was next so I hung on, but there was a queue behind me when they eventually finished.

In fairness the machine worked fine for me when I eventually got to it. Pain in the arse compared to the green bin though.

Popped into Lidl for a few things after and both machines were out of order and seen a number of people leaving with bags of cans/bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,058 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Can a retailer post here of the experience of what goes on behind the scene?

After the bin is emptied, where does the plastic go?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 17,318 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Wouldn't surprise me if there is a breaking story in the future where some of this recycling is ending up in the incinerator…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I've seen a video of the cans and plastic bottles all crushed and placed in Re-Turn branded plastic crates (similar to the size bulk potatoes are stored in), no seperation, they are then loaded in to a Re-Turn bin truck which then compacts them further.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭bog master

Same experience last week. Couple with 2 trolleys with black sacks. He was loading them in, those rejected were fired into the other trolley. Still at it when I finished the shopping-at least 15 minutes they were at it.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,124 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Went to my local supervalu yesterday with €6.70 worth of deposit material. Not only was the machine not working, but it actually had the shutters pulled down in it, at 4:45 in the afternoon.

Off to Lidl with me and my custom. Supervalu lost about €70s worth of shopping from me.

Seems certain retailers beginning to give up on this scheme.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Retailers the size of Supervalu stores aren't allowed give up.

Needs to be some enforcement of the manual returns if machines are OOO, I suspect there'd be a hell of a lot more effort put in to keeping them online in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭airy fairy

The local Supervalu one opens way after their store opening time and closes way before closing time. Possibly 2 hours at either side any time I've passed.

Someone said earlier here that the machines cannot be upgraded technically. Does that mean deposits will be increased at some point to pay for the upgrade costs of new machines, to move us to this century as regards to getting us from slips of paper to digital refunds?

We don't use many plastic bottles here, but I pay with card, I would like refunds (if not shopping) to be given to me through the card also.

And surely if refunds can only be spent in the shop in which you use their return machine, is that not against some kind of competition law? It makes little sense if I buy a can of coke on a journey, and want to dispose of same, I either have forfeit the deposit or bring it to a large shop for a coin refund. (Going back to previous point where I don't use cash). It's almost as if the system is made to be as awkward to the consumer so the retailer benefits.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's multiple models of machine from multiple manufacturers; if there's card / EFT return based systems elsewhere using the same families of machines I'd presume there's upgrade paths but some may not have any.

The cash return option would make any competition complaint irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Daith

The best you'll get is some random spot checks.

This is going to be the reality of the scheme with some stores doing better than others and some stores not getting machines fixed or very random opening hours. And they will be allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Saw another issue with these yesterday.

Went to collect the nieces from a birthday party. I bought a few of the kids some drinks. Fantas cokes etc.

While i was talking to the parents the staff came around grabbing the cans that the kids were not finished drinking. Deposits paid on them all. I told them to leave the cans there that they werent finished yet. I already knew i would never get my deposit back as i wasnt collecting them myself from each child and taking them away with me.

Didnt stop the staff trying it though.

But here is a situation where i paid a deposit on 8 cans and will never see it back myself. Maybe the odd kid will get some back. I suspect most wont. The play center will probably get most of the money i paid though when they collect the cans that were left afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,253 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭SharkMX

The whole system is another con on the consumer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭jj880

Here's your sister's scheme in NY:

In New York, sold beverage containers included in the deposit program must have a deposit of 5¢. Retailers are responsible for arranging the collection and processing of empty containers, and they must pay dealers and redemption centers for the deposits, as well as 3.5¢ handling fee for each empty beverage container. Consumers may receive a refund when they redeem their containers at retailers that sell beverages for off-premise consumption. Food or beverage establishments must accept all returned containers, but are not required to provide refunds. 

So a 5c deposit.

https://dec.ny.gov/environmental-protection/recycling-composting/bottle-bill

Consumers may then return their empty beverage containers to a retailer or redemption center to get their deposit back.

They also have redemption centres for bulk returns.

Since the Act went into effect, redemption rates have been an average of 65 percent and beverage container litter has been reduced by 70 percent. A small deposit pays big dividends in conservation of energy and valuable resources.

And why not if you run a proper scheme that doesnt shaft the consumer harder than anywhere else. We have our own ways of doing things in Ireland though.

So no an anecdote from your sister in NY is not a fair comparison when calling Irish people whingers for pointing out the flaws of Re-Turn is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭howiya

Article in the Sunday Times yesterday.

A couple of things that stood out to me.

1. As of last Thursday, 37.5 million items have been returned. It'd be interesting if they would publish how many items deposits have been paid on and we could see a percentage.
    2. An environmental scientist and policy advisor believes the deposit may be too low;

“Fifteen cents hasn’t been enough to get my son motivated to go and pick up rubbish to get that money, which is interesting,” she said.

No mention of whether she'd go picking up rubbish for 15 cents but expects her son to. Do as I say and not as I do. Hardly surprising given her occupation.

3. A service station that could obtain an exemption is thinking of withdrawing from the scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,395 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Similar one in the gym I use funnily enough.

They now have a bin for 'Plastic Bottles and Cans ONLY'. Has only been there since the scheme started. I thought to myelf they're hardly scrimping for people's deposits back etc. but the note on the bin says otherwise.

What will motivate someone to return the cans are the availability of machines.

Of course that won't happen and whacking up the fee is the only thing that will happen.

We need to get out of this mindset of "motivating" people by charging them

• Registered Users Posts: 10,552 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The 'anti competition' element you mention is baked into the scheme, agreed to give them incentives to participate. Thank Minister Ossian Smyth for this - it's his baby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,058 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 81,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

No idea, or idea how many of them there are. It all goes to Limerick, would be nice to get a view of how many trucks and how often they are entering the facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭SteM

Shine said the 15c refund may not be a big enough incentive for people to return their containers. “Fifteen cents hasn’t been enough to get my son motivated to go and pick up rubbish to get that money, which is interesting,” she said.

What a bizarre comment to make about your son. Of course it's not enough motivation, what can a kid buy for 15c these days? They'd need to pick up 8 or 9 undamaged cans and bring them back to the nearest machine - and hope it's working - just to be able to buy a can of coke which they can probably pick out of their fridge. Also, from a young age we teach kids not to touch stuff that's on the ground - 'put it down, that's dirty'. Now we're expecting kids to hunt around looking for undamaged cans? Does this person leave in the real world?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Does this person live in the real world?

Not really no. Thats part of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,556 ✭✭✭Floppybits

You are lucky with your 2 bins we have 4, general waste, food bin, recycle bin and now the bottle/can bin, practically my own recycling centre in the corner of the kitchen.

The main issue is with this scheme is that it removes the freedom to shop around. So you have to buy your drinks in the shop where you brought them back too. I use to go to the shop that were doing the best offers, usually of soft drinks and would buy there but now that is not the case because you can use the voucher in the shop were you deposited the bottles or cans. Is it really worth it going in to get the cash. The most that I have got out of the machine is €12.20. Even worse when you are buying a drink on the go, do you bring a bottle back for the 15c?

Where as if they had a system were you bring the bottles back and you can get the money refunded to your account would be better or even if they introduced a return card that you swipe and get credit on it and then that card can be used in any shop and not just were you brought the bottles and cans back to would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

It doesn't remove any freedom. You can buy anywhere and return anywhere. The voucher can be redeemed for cash, but retailers prefer to give credit as that is better both for cash flow and revenue

You can't return anywhere. You can buy from a cafe but not return to that cafe. Or smaller shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,449 ✭✭✭✭kippy

At best you are just getting your own money back....and at what cost to yourself and at what cost to the environment?

You don't think that the concerns of those that shop from home, those with limited mobility and those who actually care about the environment aren't valid?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Genghis

Re-turn have never released the number of items on which deposits have been paid. This can only be because they are not great.

They like to mention big numbers like 37.5m containers returned (hoping we will all be somewhere impressed we will not ask for any other data) but 5m containers a day are sold here, 37.5m items is not great.

Until someone can provide solid evidence to the contrary, I contend that the daily rate of items sold with deposit is currently comfortably over 90%. I base this on a number of checks both online and in-store I have done over recent weeks. It's really only odds and ends now that are available without deposit.

It will be 100% from 1 June, I guess re-turn are hoping the daily returns get over 3m a day as a minimum. Daily numbere are running at or maybe a little less than half that now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,459 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Correct you can only return to places that have an RVM or do manual returns.

The smaller outlets have an exemption based on the size of the premises.

However you can buy in one place and return to another.

Advertisement