Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,764 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

No, only busses are allowed to turn right onto MacCurtain street.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,353 ✭✭✭ofcork

I assume so it is helping traffic from Patrick Street etc to head to Blackpool since the right turn by the opera house is gone.

Ah, yes. Didn't think of that. But you still wouldn't use mccurtain street in that scenario. And I'd rather take my chances on Camden Quay than trying to get out at Ross Motorcycles if I was going that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

That turn coming out at ross motorcycles used to be no right turn , not that anyone ever took any notice

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Dan Dare

While cycling along Coberg St this afternoon in the direction of MacCurtain St, there was a 203 bus stopped at the bus stop opposite the Corner House, I overtook the bus and there were three cars waiting ahead of the bus waiting at the traffic lights on the junction with Bridge St. An hour later on Patrick's Bridge there was a car northbound waiting to turn left, though there were clear markings on the road stating that the left turn is for buses only. Last week waiting at the lights at the junction of Cathedral Park and Watercourse Rd (by the Constellation) a car came down Upper John St, drove through traffic lights which were on red. Something is going very amiss here.

• Advertisement

I thought you were allowed to turn left from Bridge street onto Cogburg street?

I think you are, but not from Patrick's Bridge on to Camden Quay.

You are allowed turn left from Patrick bridge onto Camden quay I'm sure.

I suppose left turn from Brian Boru street to McCurtain street makes less sense only for traffic coming from Parnell place that wants to go to Blackpool.

• Advertisement

You cut into the bus lane near the end I was cursing a guy last week who drove from the inside lane on Patrick Street up the bus lane and I went the middle lane on the bridge as wanted to turn left but had to yield to that clown.

I know it's not exactly traffic related but has anyone ever seen a guy in a fairly new BMW X5 always seems to be sitting in it on Patrick Street waiting for someone,see it nearly every time I am in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Be right back

Anyone know why they are taking so long with the road works in Glanmire? Going on for months now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

It's multiple different jobs and everyone in Glanmire drives everywhere so they need to keep the roads open during works.

They have completed a culvert from Springmount to Meadowbrook as part of the flood relief works. There's loads more to do as part of the flood relief scheme, you can see them working in the shopping centre too.

The new turning lane, bus stops and greenway in Glanmire village is complete.

They're now working on widening the R639 at Hazelwood to get another turning lane in. You can see they're doing all sorts of foundation and sewer and water works as part of that right now. Then they'll signalise the Hazelwood junction and put in a murder strip for cyclists I believe. There's a few months left in that I'd say.

The Glanmire to city to Phase 1 cycle way and footpath is underway at Vienna Woods right now and they've a good few months left at least. Probably more than a year I'd guess.

Hopefully soon they'll start the next section and finish the Ballinglanna Greenway and that will probably take a good few months but it shouldn't be too disruptive I'd say.

Then there's the Greenway from Riverstown to Glanmire which is in design but not yet out for construction, and Glanmire to City phase 2 (Dunkettle to City through Tivoli) and I don't think either of those will affect the current road users.

There was also talk of them doing a greenway or cycle lanes on the Hazelwood road but I don't have any details on that at all. And they're hoping to put in a road from Riverstown directly to Hazelwood too, obviously because what Glanmire needs is "moar cars".

I just spotted last night that there's a text update system in place that you can subscribe to, about Glanmire works. Oliver Moran (Green Party) apparently sent letters to people in Glanmire advising it. Text GFRS to 50015 (GFRS is Glanmire Flood Relief Scheme)

For your own internet security/safety, same thing reported in the echo here:

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-41321422.html

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭wexcap

Has any one noticed the dome cameras mounted over the traffic lights in cork does any know are they to catch some one running a red light or just to monitor the junction?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭TheChizler

There are no functioning red light cameras in the country so must just be regular cctv. Sometimes there are vehicle detector sensors that look like cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭wexcap

Are you sure about there is round about out side of cork with a camera on all the lights

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭whatever76

happy to see Cops catching people going up Coburg street yesterday to McCurtain st !! Now to enforce the right turn on Summer hill from York Hill !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

I wouldn't hold my breath. I've actually seen a Garda van stop in traffic on Summerhill to allow someone make the illegal right turn

These cameras are everywhere including the tunnel etc. They're not for red lights, but for general policing and traffic management.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mrpdap

There are occasionally cops there in the morning discouraging people from turning right down Summerhill, obviously this isn’t viable forever. However its a problem at all times, delaying those who want to turn left from Summerhill to York Hill and causing a build up behind them. Y Hill also gets clogged as people wait to turn right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭whatever76

they need to put those sticks or something in middle of road to stop the right turn and just allow traffic down York street instead of up .. Problem solved !! 😀

If they could sort out the s show that is Christy Ring bridge, that would be great!

The endemic illegal right turns and the constant running of red lights through the pedestrian crossing?

Yep, exactly. How someone hasn't been knocked down is a mystery.

People get frustrated stuck behind the illegal right turners and then feel justified in racing through the pedestrian crossing because they were held up. Thing is, it's not the pedestrians that held them up! Then you also have people just running the lights, plain and simple - the occasions where 2 or three cars go through on red.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

I walk & cycle around town a lot & have really noticed the uptick in people running red lights in the last year or two. Didn't think is was so prevalent pre-pandemic but maybe I'm looking through rose-tinted glasses.

• Advertisement

I've been a bit obsessed with and observing rampant light breaking for close to 10 years years. Perhaps it's worse now, but it certainly isn't new driving behaviour!

Next time you go through an amber light, have a look in your mirror and see how many cars follow you. Or spend a few minutes at a junction and you'll observe people breaking lights at almost every lights sequence. It's crazy.

Hopefully it won't take someone being run over at a pedestrian crossing to focus minds.

Advertisement