Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi CEO: sale of ICE cars will collapse in 2026

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Mad_Lad

Disinformation works. You only have to look at the last referendum campaign to see that.

Christ, you're one of those, it makes complete sense now !

They should, but they don't! Because they are ignorant…

Ignorant of what exactly ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Probably better to look at the UK market for info like that, the site https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/nissan_leaf#tax is a good resource

And as I keep saying very few people want such a highly limited car, a car is supposed to offer freedom not restrictions, maintenance on cars isn't a whole lot, depending on the car you get. A lot of people out there are capable of maintaining their own cars.

People are not afraid of change, but often people don't want it, when these cars are good enough for people they will buy them until not they won't and you nor I have the right to criticise whatever people choose this is their right although I feel many people here would rather people not to have the right to choice lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,994 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I've covered that several times. Some people for whom a degraded cheap EV would be a perfect fit, don't even consider them because they don't know they are a perfect fit and have false preconceptions about EVs in general. In other words: ignorance at play.

Ah I know they are not for everyone and you simply should NOT buy one if it doesn't meet your requirements. But the average car does 35km in Ireland.

No you don't you think EV is for everyone and they suit all but everyone's just too ignorant lol, wow!

The average 2nd family car does less than that. So that means for thousands and thousands of familie in the market for a cheap 2nd family car, that never does more than 50km or so in a day, these would be perfect. Yet very few people are buying them. And I think igorant is the perfect word. Sounds harsh, but the very definition of how @sh81722 just described his neighbour is ignorant. Which literally means not knowing, being completely misinformed.

Thousands of families don't want handicapped cars, just get it in your head. They are not ignorant people.

"the meaning of ignorant"
    lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated.

One could conclude from reading your posts that your attitude is both obtuse and ignorant "lacking awareness in general" as to the needs, wishes of people who drive cars and not understanding the majority of people do not want limited range cars that take a long time to charge for more limited range and look like spaceships inside or something some school Children designed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,158 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

or people want to, on occasion, go further than the 70kms max range a cheap EV would give them in the depths of winter at motorway speeds.
    But you know this, yet……..

But so what if they don't want the poxy EVs when they might want a car that's nicer to drive around in ? freedom of choice, or would you rather have this freedom removed so that people drive cars you feel they should be driving ?

In fairness I dont think there a need for that last sentence for the want of a better word! One of the main reasons people wont buy these cars is they are very compromised owing to their short range. Grand for a 2nd/3rd car if you know you'll never need it for more than 40-60km in any one day during the winter, otherwise they are a complete pita requiring 100% soc every morning and a top up during the day. For eg I dropped kids to school this morning used 7% of L30 range. Then had to do a 30km journey to pick up a item and returned with 17% SOC. I then had to plug in for a couple of hours before heading off again to do some other pick ups etc. Now normally Id get away with a full charge overnight but the problem with short range cars is that they have no capacity to deal with the unexpected which for many is a no no!

But Unkle feels everyone should be driving electric cars because he says so and everyone who doesn't well, they're just ignorant.

So while some people consider it ignorance, others just see a car that doesnt fit their use case. However, IMO used EVs from about 2019/20 onwards will make very good value used options in the years ahead, as even with slightly degraged batteries they will have still have 250km+ range even on a bad day which is far more attractive and flexible that a degraded but cheap 60km range Leaf.

It doesn't even matter if electric suits someones use case, if people don't want them then that's fine too, people should have the choice to buy what car they want and I do know a lot of people are turned off the look both inside and out, a lot of car interiors now look like Sh1t.

As Ive said before early Leafs are one of the main reasons people I know are delaying switching to a used EV. Im sure people will harp on nostalgically about them in the future but really they represent the past in terms of EV motoring. Long live the early Leafs, great cars pity about their batteries

No one I know even when I had the Leaf will tell me today they are interested in EV even seeing me on my 3rd EV a lot of people just don't like all the tech and would rather a car that's cheaper with less annoying tech that goes for both EV and ICE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,861 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

When you look at recent German car market trends, one can reasonably conclude that the Audi CEO is either very out of touch or seeking attention.

The KBA figures showed that heavy SUVs with high fuel consumption were Germany’s fastest growing vehicle segment. “The latest KBA figures are a wake-up call,” wrote Greenpeace transport expert Benjamin Stephan.

That German trend isn't likely an anomaly, either:

Even Cleantechnica is trying to find a way to positively spin the fact that sales of plugins and BEVs did not increase as a proportion of sales in Europe in the past year.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭amdaley28

At the end of the day each individual owner / driver is different.

What suits you or I may not suit others. I have driven diesel & petrol cars throughout my life because that's what was available.

Now there is also electric to choose from so I choose to drive a Phev which gives me the best of both worlds. I can plug in, charge up & use electric for short local trips & use petrol for longer journeys.

Electric is great if you can charge at home & have enough battery to be able to get back home again on a daily basis without having to resort to public chargers. Outside the major cities & urban area the public charging infrastructure isn't there yet. I expect that with the advances in battery technology & big improvement in the charging network especially in rural areas electric will become very commonplace in the next few years.

However diesel & petrol vehicles will be with us for many years to come.

Another thing to consider is ?

If I buy a diesel or petrol car & drive average mileage then I should still be able to drive that vehicle in ten years time & get similar range.

Will i be able to do drive an electric vehicle for the same time & still get similar range ?

Now if you can afford to change your car every three or four years then it won't make much difference but there are a lot of people out there who for economic or personal reasons can't do that.

It often comes down to pure initial cost & has nothing to do with knowledge or ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

A car that can do 60km per day and costs 2 or 3 euros to charge from empty absolutely gives people 'freedom' to do 95% of the day to day travel if they live within an urban environment

It doesn't allow 'freedom' to go on the long road trip or intercity journeys, but if people are on a low income, have a driveway to charge their car in and want personal transport in their day to day life, the fact that EVs are so cheap to run is more liberating than an ICE that costs hundreds of euros to service even if it's never driven, hundreds more to tax every year, and costs greater than 5 times more per kilometre driven in fuel costs

'Ignorant people'

You can be ignorant about a topic without being an 'ignorant person'

Literally everyone is ignorant about the vast majority of things that there is to be knowledgeable about

Saying someone is ignorant about the details of EV ownership is not an attack on their character, it just means that they do not know enough about BEVs to be able to have a fully informed opinion, and for most people, it's not because they're too stupid to understand, it's because they've been misinformed, or they have never cared enough about the subject to investigate it properly.

Sorry to break it to you, but your 10 year old Diesel car is almost certainly getting worse fuel economy on it's 10th anniversary compared to when it was brand new unless you spend a lot of money over the years keeping fully on top of maintenance over and above the usual service items. This means if you fill it up with a full tank in year 1, and the same full tank in year 10, you'll likely get shorter range for the same amount of fuel. (this will cost more per KM of driving)

While a BEV might suffer reduced range over time, the costs per KM of driving should be about the same as the motor won't degrade in performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Comical stuff. A bangernomics EV with a 60 km range is about as useful as an ancient vintage car. Less so really. Even if someone never ventures outside of Co. Dublin, the M50 is 45 kms long each way.

Tiny range EVs are not going to be saving anyone significant money as they are only suitable for very limited use. And for such limited use, maintenance and fuelling costs of ICE cars are also very low. So while you'll save on fuel with an EV, you're saving a high percentage of small number.

They're the very opposite of liberating. You won't be turning on the heater on a cold day and they have no headroom whatsoever for anything unexpected or spontaneous. Unexpected travel happens to people all the time.

As usual we have wild exaggerations. Forget about intercity travel, a 60 km EV can't get from Lucan to Bray or Lucan to Balbriggan and back on a single charge. Hundreds more to tax an ICE? My Megane DCi costs 80 euros more per year to tax than a Fluence ZE, for that I have a proper car with a 1000 km range that weighs >350 kg less than a Fluence ZE and I can turn into a small van in seconds - unlike this rubbish.

The severe limitation of cars like these could actually cost someone money as they can't take advantage of opportunities. Spot a great bargain on adverts.ie but seller is located in the barren wasteland that is Co. Kildare? Ah well, maybe the next one will be within the range of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭sh81722

The other side is that an old diesel is going to be much more polluting now than when it was new. The NCT/CVRT emission test for diesels are way too lenient and you can for example pass without a working DPF even when those have been fitted under most diesels since mid-noughties. The same about worn injectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

They're not a perfect fit, they're a very poor outdated product and people are not ignorant of that fact. 5k is a lot of money for people it's a relic, a beta testing version of what came after.

Pretty much the worst way to spend money unless you're an energy hobbyist getting kicks from charging and conservation. Range anxiety every single day and plugging in every single day. It will be out of action charging a lot too.

I don't think I could convince a single person I know to bring one of those into their lives.

Yeah, I have clearly said an old cheap degraded battery EV is not for those people. Not aimed at you Tom, but FFS folks, would you please not put words into my mouth that I haven't said?

In particular Mad_Lad seems to be at this a lot. Not sure if it is on purpose or he isn't aware. The latter is worse.

This exactly. It seems some people are needlessly taking offence because of their ignorance of the word ignorance LOL 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I'm not sure about that unkel, you claim to know everyone in your estate and have as much knowledge of their driving habits as well as they do, where they go each day and then tell them they are doing it all wrong by calling them ignorant to your own pet hobby. You wont win many people over like that.

Why is this cheap to run BS so entrenched in this country?

Lets wind the clock back to 2006 for a minute, before Gormley and the greens used their green logic to distort the market. Back then I was looking at the cost of ownership with a view to purchase, not the cost to run. I ran the numbers on at least 4 different vehicle makes, using acceleration performance as the main comparative criteria. Back then it was comparing diesel vs petrol.

In every instance the petrol was cheaper to own up to 100-120k km, by which time most people would have changed cars. Why would this be when diesels have far better fuel economy? It was because petrol was cheaper than diesel, which is the natural economic reality of refining oil where you get a lot more petrol than diesel per barrel. But the biggest reason was that diesels are significantly heavier, and so were more expensive to manufacture and so had significantly higher purchase prices - not to mention higher maintainance costs.

Initial purchase price matters a great deal in terms of overall ownership cost. It's also a far larger entry barrier for those on low incomes than running costs.

EV's are todays diesels. They are very heavy and consequentially require a lot of expensive and exotic materials to manufacure and are therefore very expensive to make compared to a petrol ICE. They are a terrible purchase option for those on low incomes who will all have to borrow likely the full amount to purchase. They are cheap to run only if you have a driveway, which in itself might be an uncommon prerequisite for those on low incomes.

There is nothing 'liberating' about an EV being cheap to run when they are so expensive to buy and finance.

Look at this nonsense:

But on a home charger at €0.43, a complete battery top-up would mean
    just €0.05/km, slightly more than half the cost of the Astra petrol. If
    you could run it like this permanently, you would soon recoup the
    additional €3,848 purchase price of the electric model in saved energy
    costs alone.

Soon? WTF! That's a difference of €0.04c per km, so 96,200 km to break even. The Irish average annual kilometerage is a bit over 14K, so soon is around 6.8 years.

Call me abnormal, but my definition of soon is a lot shorter than the time for a child to complete their primary education.

As for your ICE costing five times more per km to run claim, a link would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭sh81722

How about if you energy costs 0.08 instead of absurdly high price of 0.43 for domestic energy?

Any car which isn't maintained to the highest standards will invariably degrade in performance & range.

Some years ago I ran a 15 year old Seat Inca diesel van in my business. It was regularly serviced including clutch, glo plugs, battery etc & it ran like a swiss watch. It never failed to pass its DOE test every year. I used to think the thing ran on vapours it was so economical😏 I was stopped on a back road one night by customs doing a diesel check. There was so little diesel in the tank that he couldn't get a sample so had to go rooting under the bonnet.

I wonder how far a 10 year old Bev will get you on a full charge ?

As i've said previously it's a matter of economics for a lot of people.

How much does 1 Kwh of Electricity cost in Ireland?

One “unit” or one KwH of electricity costs 35.83 cents in March 2024 . (Including VAT)
    This figure is based on Electric Ireland’s standard rates.

https://www.moneyguideireland.com/much-average-electricity-bill.html

I'm very happy for you that you get your electricity at such a low rate. Claiming it's typical might be a stretch of the truth. I'll tell you what, find us a link to an independent and reputable EV running cost comparrison that uses 0.08c as the typical electricity rate in Ireland.

In my cul de sac, of about 20 houses. And yes I have "won over" several of them to EVs. And PV for that matter. They will never go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Two suppliers offer that rate for a window of three or four hours during the night. There is at least one more offering 14c for the full 11-8 window. Electric Ireland will give you a rate averaging 17c for the same nine hour window (averaged over 7 hours at 19c and 2 at 11c).

That's at least four suppliers offering substantially less than the rate you quote.

Here's an interesting video on an old Leaf.

Some information about batteries etc.

Might be of interest to some.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

im paying 12.5c for an 9 hour night rate, using 43c is madness.

Your point on the average mileage is well made tho, shows EVs would be suitable for most.

• Advertisement

You only get a cheaper night time rate by paying higher standing charges and higher daytime rates, so you should shift these increased costs over to your EV charging costs.

The reason you’ll need to shift at least 27% is that although NightSaver meters are “free” to install, there is an additional fee added to your standing charge (around €45-€50). As such, you won’t see any benefit from cheaper night rate electricity unless you push for more than 27% of electricity consumption at night.

A NightSaver tariff is a cheaper price of electricity for the nighttime usage. While the daytime unit rate on this tariff is slightly more expensive than a regular daytime rate.

Advertisement