Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi CEO: sale of ICE cars will collapse in 2026

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,533 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

We’re fully committed to electric mobility,” he said. “But if there are waves or fluctuations in the transition we can react to them.”

The plan was first announced in 2021 by former CEO Markus Duesmann, who Döllner replaced last year. Other automakers, such as Mercedes-Benz, announced similar plans at the time but now intend to offer vehicles equipped with internal-combustion engines well into the next decade.

Nothing there sounds very promising to me for a collapse

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Mmmmm, a lot of known unknowns, if I still need to pull a trailer in 2033, it will have to be a diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 13,029 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Lol. EVs have far more torque than diesels do. Mine has over 500ft/lb.

Did you miss the bit where he said they'd launch their last ICE model in 2026?

• Advertisement

Too many hypotheticals there to be a true reflection of reality. Range and refuelling/recharging are not anywhere near equal nor are they likely to be enough to cause a collapse in ICE demand.

And where are you getting an Etron 15k cheaper than an A5?

Where I can see it is in Q8 diesel v Q8 Etron, the Etron is cheaper in Ireland anyway because the diesel has been taxed into oblivion.

Remember were debating a collapse in 2026 as claimed in the article. That's 21 months away. And it's ridiculously fanciful.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,533 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Yeah, can't see it. There's too many hurdles to be overcome in that time frame.

Not sure why I bother when you don't even read what I wrote.

They're cheaper because the costs of manufacturing and logistics are cheaper. Just enumerate all the components that go into an ICE and compare with an EV. Even at the basic level. Inlet and exhaust systems - no. Fuel management systems, pumps, filters, pre-heaters - no, Exhaust management - no. The list goes on. Then take the engine and all its very expensive components compared to an electric motor. Add in a gearbox. Each one of those are massively expensive, but the deniers keep bleating on "but the batteries". It's hilarious.

And batteries are going to get cheaper very soon. New technologies like Aluminium Graphene are already ramping up with the intention of becoming directly swappable with existing tech. All while the current battery tech is getting cheaper too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭ozmo

Don't know why I bother is the worst type of response when someone disagrees with you. I did read what you wrote.

And they're not cheaper. Simpler, but not cheaper. Remember they're still subsidised by governments to get uptake.

New technologies have to be paid for by recouping R&D costs, someone has to pay for that.

I've got 2 EVs outside at the moment, I'm not a denier.

Article has been outed as AI now also. I knew it sounded nonsensical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,795 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Wrong name for the CEO is fairly dodgy alright, but you would have thought if AI, that would at least get basic facts like that right.

I do admit I saw this in a YT video today, did a quick google and posted up the result. I didn't do any fact checking or anything. Apologies if this article turns out to be completely made up 😐️

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭JVince

Article is possibly made up, but new battery technology which is due to go into mass production next year will give standard range of 700-1000 km

Once that becomes embedded into EVs, the market will surge.

As for 10 year old ev in 2034. If priced right it will sell, just as any item. In many cases it will be a first car or the 2nd car in a household, just as many 10 year old ice cars are today.

I do about 35-40k a year. Almost certain to go for ev next car due to the much lower cost.

Lads, the internet is out there to confirm or deny possible made up stories. And this one may have been written by an AI, but it's based on an actual interview from Automotive News Europe. It's also carried elsewhere but ANE is referenced. The above jokers may have wanted to run this as if it was their own (and it's brought them to the top of the Google search), so used AI to disguise its origins.

The article is reserved for subscribers, but I have my ways.

Does Audi still plan to phase out the sale of combustion engines in Europe and North America by 2033?
    Yes, it stays that way. We will position ourselves well with a new generation of all-electric models, combustion engines and plug-in hybrids, and we will be able to act flexibly if necessary. But I don't think that will be necessary.

Why not?
    We will see significantly reduced sales volumes for combustion engines as early as 2026, so that the trick for us is an intelligent portfolio streamlining. Otherwise, the volumes per vehicle will be so low that it is no longer feasible, especially for suppliers. We are already standardizing components, but we will gradually leave certain segments and body styles for combustion-engine cars. Anything else would not make economic sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

Bloody AI eh…I could smell something was fishy with the language in the article. At least there's a grain a truth to the story.

There's some bloody exciting EVs on the market at the moment with ever more impressive models launching all the time. Can't wait to make the move to be honest.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

You only have to look at Done Deal to see that there are almost 100 EVs for sale that are nine years or older. And back then they were a tiny segment of the market. Only 420 were sold in 2016 (can't find figures from before then, but they must have been miniscule).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

It’s an interesting thought by this CEO but I’d like a few more stats:

1. how many cars are sold globally every year?
    2. What percentage of those are EV currently?
    3. How many tonnes of precious metal are used to go into the CURRENT volume of EVs produced.
    4. How many more tonnes of precious metal would we have to produce to phase out, or see a collapse of, the fossil fuel cars by 2026?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭XsApollo

deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Absolutely no bias or self serving statements ever come from a company CEO. They want you to know the truth, regardless of the goals of their business strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭electricus

on 3 and 4, ICE vehicles are likely to include more precious metals (rhodium, iridium, and platinum) because of the requirement for a catalytic converter. But all cars include them in electronic components, and fuel cell cars use most of all.

More rare earth metals are required for EV production. These aren’t precious metals and are as abundant as copper and zinc. The name ‘rare earth’ comes from them being comparatively difficult to extract from their natural sources such as ores or salts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

This probably is AI, but those tools are absolutely useless. Feed blocks of well known books in and they come back as AI generated.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Some people will believe anything 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

That’s a ChatGPT article.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Combustion car sales will fall because they will slowly stop making them. The push at a WW level to reduce Co2 etc will mean alternatives like electric will become the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭sh81722

Right. And the only component in a BEV that requires these "rare earth metals" is the magnets in the permanent magnet motor, if installed, and even on those alternatives are now available. The battery doesn't contain any, and the same metals are needed on ICE in their many small electric motors too.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭kaahooters

people will move to whats cheapest, EV are cheapest, and with the fuel pricehikes, will be getting cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭vimalandrew

At least Audi could produce a better looking EV. Look how worst looking is their Etron ev. But I understand that all the German manufacturers are in deep trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭SodiumCooled

I know two different people who can't get any garage to take their EVs as a trade in 2 year old and 3 year old premium brands (looking to trade up into the EVs again even). Someone at work with a year old EV and going back to a hybrid next year. I wouldn't even consider a full EV for many many years yet and this is a sentiment that's quite common. I would consider a hybrid but would still see diesel as first choice for both next car purchases in the household.

I would be very very surprised if ICE cars are still not comfortably outselling EVs in 2026 and beyond.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Won’t happen in Africa, Oceania, Middle East, or South America , even the us.

Advertisement