Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭SteM

That would be difficult to implement with a paper based voucher. You just get the balance in change.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

there was a lad in Tesco today with a turf bag full of cans. Mice had holes ate all over the fcukin bag and it was dripping all over the floor. This can, bottle saga is the greatest load of sh1te that was ever imagined.

It should be scrapped now and bail them fcukin stupid machines in a recycling yard somewhere.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Was looking at one of the machines this evening and from an engineering/product design point of view they're a real case study on how not to show the instructions on how to use the machine.

You need big clear images that show how to and more importantly how not to use the machine. So that would be images of what undamaged means and also how you load the product into the machine.

no I’d say most places you’ll need to cash the voucher tbh or else they’ll give you the balance owed in change. So in that case €2.

I imagine most if not all retailers would need you to cash it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,455 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

My tuppenceworth, having not read the 131 pages so far!

1. I never noticed 2 litre plastic bottles spoiling the landscape, littering the streets of Dublin and the suburbs. Perhaps just me not noticing. I'd hold a view that the vast majority of 2 litre bottles have always been thrown in the recycle bin by households, as they aren't "convenience" purchases, they are house purchases. So the whole deposit return scheme for these plastic bottles is a waste of time imo.
    2. I DO notice 330ml and 500ml bottles littering the place - and this is likely as it is THESE sizes, the "convenience" purchases, that are dropped on the streets (in the absence of a proper recycling bin solution by DCC etc.) So a scheme to recycle these may have been appropriate.
    3. So, this scheme, for the regular 2 litre bottles I purchase in my household, is an absolute pain in the árse and I don't see the point of it - and the fact that the authorities charge a HIGHER deposit for these bottles suggests, to me, that they focussed on size of bottles, rather than considering whether this size was a problem at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,505 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Can you cash the vouchers? I thought shops only let them be used as credit against a purchase?

Why you can't simply get it onto your card or apple pay is beyond me.

A recycling scheme that actually prints out on paper!

Yes you can get cash.

DRS is not set up to credit refunds to a card, apple pay or any other system.

It seems quite a few would prefer if it was.

I would like to think there’s at least plans to offer a digital option for refunds at some stage. Would be more convenient for both consumer and the retailer I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭This is it

Haven't been following the thread. I've made two trips to return cans/bottles. First one was fine, only issue was one bottle I was charged a deposit for wasn't accepted. No receipt so not much I could do.

Second trip was a pain. Went to Aldi, machine out of order. No problem. Head over to the local SuperValu which has two machines. One out of order but the other working away. Great. 3 bottles in and that stops working... Pain in the arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Is it done that way anywhere else? How would it work? Would much prefer it over a receipt I must spend in the shop I took the cans back to - currently have about 10 receipts for 20 euro or so, as i keep forgetting to pick them when I'm visiting the shop I returned them to (usually drop them off on the way to work as 'usually' the machine is more likely working and no queues)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,551 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yep, there were other reasonable alternatives that could have been tried and that would have worked in conjunction with the existing recycling collection. More bins on streets, at scenic areas like beaches and forest carparks should have been the first call. The trouble with that is that it requires work to empty them and the authorities would prefer to just force some other system on the public to make up for their basic shortcomings.

Well since the bin collection went private I noticed less and less public bins on the streets in Dublin - seems at least for Dublin they do no want anything to do with rubbish

And the bins that still exist are stuffed to the brim with household rubbish

I don't think the current machines could be adapted but maybe someone else knows for sure.

If the option was allowed for in the Re-turn system perhaps newer machines coming on line would accommodate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,863 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The Irish Times has an article about this wretched scheme:

‘I’m thoroughly fed up’: The struggle to find a working deposit return scheme machine

at the time of writing well over 16 million containers had been returned
    and that does indeed sound like a lot. But given that the scheme is
    close to 50 days old and more than five million qualifying receptacles
    are sold each day in Ireland, there must be a whole lot of people who
    are still discarding the bottles and cans despite having paid the
    deposit on them. Or maybe, like Eimear, they just can’t find a way to
    get their money back.

Really going well; 6.4% return rate. The EU will be happy with our recycling figures now. /s

What an effing disaster. Sure to be huge vote winner.

And considering the novelty of it you would expect more people to be trying it at the start.
    Until the reality sets in that most of the machines are constantly out of order and your back off home with your bag of cans or paying for another bag since the one you were going to use for your shopping is still full of cans

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭Tow

That's because many are charged per collection, bins only go out when full.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Another attempt at using these machines yesterday and both screens said 'needs staff attention'. Brought it to the staff attention at the checkout in Aldi to be met by a shrug saying theres nothing she can do.

Absolute waste of my fcuking time and money, how many times do I need to show up with these cans to get back the money Ive already paid?

it’s the biggest load of sh1te that was ever thought of. A rush of sh1t to the brain and the rest of us have to suffer a half baked plan. Same happened my wife. She brought cans with her to Aldi. Machine out of order and she had to bring the fcukin cans around shopping and home again.

It should all be scrapped again and forget the whole fcukin thing

Aldi and Lidl both have no customer service desk or spare floor staff to deal with queries.

Usually you will only see shelf packers and checkout operators.

The checkout operators have their hands full and the stackers seem slow to help though they can contact supervisors remotely.

The number of bad reports from these shops reflects this.

• Advertisement

And that should have been considered when rolling it out. What incentives were given to the retailers to get this rolled out? It is actually in the interests of the retailer to not get involved or have the machines working as that involves them giving back the money they took on deposits. Why would they bother getting involved?

From Lidls POV, what is the point of paying staff in their shop to spend time fixing these issues? None. Just ignore it and have staff concentrate on the Lidl business.

The lack of management of, what are really pretty obvious potential issues, is staggering. Not having Apple pay or the like for an immediate refund is beyond crazy. Introducing a system to reduce waste with printed receipts?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

They get 2.2 cents I think per item redeemed in their RVM… so if it is a retailer taking in a lot of items, there is that benefit.

But that would require the staff, setup etc to keep the machines operational which seems like more hassle for them.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭jj880

Sure we're over half way through the trial period. You'd think these obvious problems would be getting the required attention before all deposit loaded stock is on shelves by June 1st. The fact this is not happening shows anyone who actually wants to know what the focus of this scheme is. Here's a clue: its not the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

The RVM machines I used before, about 10 years ago, had no screen. Just a couple of red and green lights. Also, no barcode reading. The only error I saw was the red flashing light indicating it is full.

As Ive said before, any time we introduce something new in this country we go with the over engineered version. We know its going to be decades before we introduce anything else so we have to go for the one with all the bells and whistles.

It hasn’t got anything to do with the staff in Aldi or Lidl though nor should it.
    I have always found the staff in them shops absolutely brilliant. They are most helpful and they work flat out all day. They haven’t the time to be sh1te hawking around with a Mickey Mouse of a machine that’s not their responsibility.
    from start to finish this whole saga is a pure farce.
    half baked and a quarter executed.It should be scrapped and go back to putting clean recycling in the fcukin recycling bin at home instead of being held to financial ransom and having to traipse around the country trying to return waste in order to get your own money back and all that it entails.
    It would fcukin sicken you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I have been involved in the designing and building of resilient systems in the past. Most people use such systems all the time. Very few ever have a warning on the screen saying "Out of order / Contact a member of staff". If something is not working, it simply switches off, resets all the moving parts to its default position, and then starts up again.

I could build an RVM out of lego that was more resilient than the ones they have decided to go with.

I agree they are nice people for the most part but their employers business model doesn't seem to allow for sorting out faulty machines.

What is the point of the barcode scanning? Within a few months the vast majority of any cans/bottles will have been purchased with a deposit so the barcode is redundant is it not?

And why the need to be kept in shape? Surely a return is a return?

This seems massively over engineered

Possibly due to the border with NI.

The shape thing is so the barcode can be read

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The shape thing is not really much of a problem except it seems on some small bottles; or maybe there's wildly finicking machines.

I've put through some very mangled cans - some I crushed and had to bend back cause I remembered they had deposits - and they were fine.

Advertisement