Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I know this might be hard for you but try to stay on topic

mod - warning issues for back seat moderating

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Nice alternate view of reality you have there. Presume you don't have proof for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Is answering the question you asked by providing one of the times you've lost the plot off topic?

I gave you one of your earliest ones to make it easier for you find all the ones that follow for yourself.

You're welcome 👍.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The point of this scheme is to bring our recycling rate of cans and bottles up from ~60% to 90%+ nothing more, nothing less. Recycling more helps protect the environment and makes the planet livable into the future. This isn't an opinion, this is fact, backed up by science and a general understanding of how the planet work

Anybody who thinks differently are the delusional ones. Anybody who thinks our govt have an ulterior motive on this scheme is giving our govt too much brain credit in my opinion

This schemes main aim is to more accurately measure the delta between what is sold verus what is collected, getting up to a 90 percent figure isn't going to happen and was never going to happen, given the flaws with the scheme pointed out months ago.

I don't really think the government themselves had a secondary motive but there is no doubt this scheme is a net negative on "The environment" and that a number of people and companies will get richer as a direct and indirect result of it, with very vague actual positive outcomes. Have you noticed the increases in prices almost across the board for popular drinks over the past few weeks? Are the manufacturers of the machines themselves not going to be significantly enriched by the scheme? The directors/staff and God knows who else.

The statement you use there " Recycling more helps protect the environment and makes the planet livable into the future" is complete and utter garbage. You should be able to see the issue with it as far as the bigger picture goes. But again, its a nice sound bite, very fluffy and without any context - which is exactly how this scheme was planned and indeed implemented.

Just because you say something is "fact, backed up by science" doesn't necessarily make it true.

Example, in Germany they sell significantly more PET materials now than they did a number of years ago. Their collection rates (not necessarily recycle rates) are up on 90 percent (I think) - is this a net good thing for the protection of the environment? Or would the ideal scenario be to looking to reduce and reuse before going down the recycle route? Recycling, in itself, is not a process that comes without it's byproducts.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭bog master

Let's not forget the difference between Collection Rates and Recycling Rates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

i can say the same…

And proof of what? please give more detail on what you're asking me to provide proof on. i gave you many words and you gave back little in return, seems like an unfair trade off if you're not willing to put effort into typing.

i would like to know what you're asking.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭jj880

Lets add them to the list of proofs requested so far:

• demanding proof that people are stock piling containers
    • demanding proof that manual returns take up staff / customer time
    • deducing that dragging your used containers back in store is fine because customers have bad hygiene anyway
    • demanding proof that store signage is not photoshopped. Stating the store location will clear that up somehow.
    • demanding proof that recent significant price increases are not related to Re-Turn.
    • demanding proof that containers collected by this scheme are not incinerated anyway / not recycled in Ireland.
    • demanding proof that this scheme is not having a net negative effect on the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,481 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

A guy rang up Liveline a few weeks ago. Yes, I know, Crank-Or-Bore-Line, but bear with me. He had put a GPS tracker in one of his recycling bags, which got picked up and he tracked it from his home straight to the Poolbeg Incinerator.

They had a representative from RePak I believe it was, who came on and instead of defending that fact, he talked about the dangers of putting an electronic device into the incinerator!

The systems to recycle plastic are very different to recycling aluminium. Across Ireland, some recycling plants can do both, but many do one or the other. Is the ReTurn system set up sufficiently that the stuff goes to the right plant with the right equipment?

I am tempted to do a similar experiment with the ReTurn RVMs, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Had been putting off using the machines for fear of making a tit of myself but finally did it today. Easiest thing in the world to do. Completely idiot proof.

No system is idiot proof. Especially a system that has not been tested on idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭jj880

The problem is theres no transparency on how much of what we are led to believe is recycled is incinerated or landfilled. I know of a skip firm near to where I live who've been just burying everything on their land totally illegally. No enforcement from the Council so definitely no transparency. Its a joke.

We're asked to believe everything just because it says so on the Re-Turn website. I find that notion fanciful at best and flat out naive at worst. As Boggles has said on many occasions "pure theatre".

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Hypothetical, where would you place an airtag to follow the path of the cans/bottles? Assume inside the bottle would it would get shredded.

Interesting experirement for us idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭bog master

https://www.irishtimes.com/environment/2023/11/28/ireland-overly-reliant-on-exporting-waste-for-recycling-epa/

"Just under 28 per cent of plastic packaging generated in Ireland was
    recycled in 2021, with the remainder being treated by incineration (70
    per cent) and disposal (2 per cent)."

Well I watched the machine at my local Aldi being emptied and the bottles were not crushed or shredded.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,253 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭beachhead

Heavier than you. Or a generalisation about all those recycling at the machines

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭tohaltuwi

Some bottles have thin plastic and go out of shape very easily such that they tend to get rejected. A simple hack is to blow the bottles into shape, works nicely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Escapees

I wouldn't be blowing into any of mine, as they're generally ones that have been dumped by others on the streets :)

Here are some observations since the scheme was introduced:

- Street littering has not decreased at all. Every day when walking home from work, I easily come across 5 to 10 cans and bottles left on the streets. One or two of these might be alcoholic drinks, but most are just water or fizzy/energy drinks put neatly down at the side of a footpath or on a window sill. Red bull cans are everywhere by the way, but oddly enough they are usually dumped on the road and generally flattened by cars and difficult therefore to re-turn. Anyway, the bottom line here is that street littering in general is still an issue in this country.

- I've also noticed that there is a staggering amount of recyclable containers that get dumped in shopping centre bins and street bins. Just glance into any bins that you pass. This is the KEY issue I believe. If you think about it, it makes sense since drinks are probably one of the most common purchases when people are out and about. And it raises the question, why do councils not have any recycling bins for the general public to use in towns and city centres. Instead, they are all for general rubbish only. If there were RVMs in public areas, it might make a bit of a difference, but a lot of folk still aren't going to bother to go out of their way to get a coupon for just 15c. The fundamental issue really is that the councils have not and still do not encourage recycling on the streets of towns and cities.

- On an aside, the M&S RVM type seems to be the worst designed type, with very narrow conveyor belts that struggle to grip and move the recyclables to the crusher at the back. It also requires frequent user interaction, with users even required to press a start button to begin!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

not against the scheme, more of a question but say you return the cans, have a 4 euro voucher, go to buy a bottle of milk while in the shop for 2 euro, I presume you can’t use half the voucher and save the other half for another time? Or would that make too much sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,585 ✭✭✭SteM

That would be difficult to implement with a paper based voucher. You just get the balance in change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

there was a lad in Tesco today with a turf bag full of cans. Mice had holes ate all over the fcukin bag and it was dripping all over the floor. This can, bottle saga is the greatest load of sh1te that was ever imagined.

It should be scrapped now and bail them fcukin stupid machines in a recycling yard somewhere.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Was looking at one of the machines this evening and from an engineering/product design point of view they're a real case study on how not to show the instructions on how to use the machine.

You need big clear images that show how to and more importantly how not to use the machine. So that would be images of what undamaged means and also how you load the product into the machine.

no I’d say most places you’ll need to cash the voucher tbh or else they’ll give you the balance owed in change. So in that case €2.

I imagine most if not all retailers would need you to cash it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,453 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

My tuppenceworth, having not read the 131 pages so far!

1. I never noticed 2 litre plastic bottles spoiling the landscape, littering the streets of Dublin and the suburbs. Perhaps just me not noticing. I'd hold a view that the vast majority of 2 litre bottles have always been thrown in the recycle bin by households, as they aren't "convenience" purchases, they are house purchases. So the whole deposit return scheme for these plastic bottles is a waste of time imo.
    2. I DO notice 330ml and 500ml bottles littering the place - and this is likely as it is THESE sizes, the "convenience" purchases, that are dropped on the streets (in the absence of a proper recycling bin solution by DCC etc.) So a scheme to recycle these may have been appropriate.
    3. So, this scheme, for the regular 2 litre bottles I purchase in my household, is an absolute pain in the árse and I don't see the point of it - and the fact that the authorities charge a HIGHER deposit for these bottles suggests, to me, that they focussed on size of bottles, rather than considering whether this size was a problem at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Can you cash the vouchers? I thought shops only let them be used as credit against a purchase?

Why you can't simply get it onto your card or apple pay is beyond me.

A recycling scheme that actually prints out on paper!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,453 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Yes you can get cash.

DRS is not set up to credit refunds to a card, apple pay or any other system.

It seems quite a few would prefer if it was.

I would like to think there’s at least plans to offer a digital option for refunds at some stage. Would be more convenient for both consumer and the retailer I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭This is it

Haven't been following the thread. I've made two trips to return cans/bottles. First one was fine, only issue was one bottle I was charged a deposit for wasn't accepted. No receipt so not much I could do.

Second trip was a pain. Went to Aldi, machine out of order. No problem. Head over to the local SuperValu which has two machines. One out of order but the other working away. Great. 3 bottles in and that stops working... Pain in the arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,312 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Is it done that way anywhere else? How would it work? Would much prefer it over a receipt I must spend in the shop I took the cans back to - currently have about 10 receipts for 20 euro or so, as i keep forgetting to pick them when I'm visiting the shop I returned them to (usually drop them off on the way to work as 'usually' the machine is more likely working and no queues)

Advertisement