Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU patent court referendum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭crusd

The reality is the only beneficiaries of the status quo are lawyers/

How will the permanently outraged reconcile their hatred of everything EU with their hatred of lawyers?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Kinda speaks to how this referendum might get hijacked by Bad Faith types when something this dry and perfunctory "has" to have some chicanery or dark money behind it all. This is why like I said, I can see it being rejected just purely out of caution by the ignorant, or paranoia by those thusly afflicted. Obviously discounting people who have genuine intellectual concerns about it, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

• Registered Users Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

This is my misunderstanding arising from this post:

I understood Podge to be answering my question re lobbying with a reference to a Supreme Court judgement, which as read appeared to be related directly to IP or patents etc. But they were referring simply to the requirement to have a referendum.

That misunderstanding is cleared up. My main query isn't but it will surely when there's any campaign run.

FYI, I have business reasons to be concerned about copyright, IP and so on. So I have a little skin in the game and likely more than most commenting here. But being a small fish, I also know that it's of little real relevance as such law is for those with deep pockets and that ain't going to change. We shall wait & see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭SunnySundays

It's almost unbelievable that some people are so intellectually deficient that they would vote no, just because the government would like a yes vote.

Vote no if you don't like the proposal,or even if you don't understand it but to be too stupid to actually research it, listen to what those who regularly use patents etc, want, is just disappointing. It really shows a lack of intelligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭PommieBast

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

The UPC has been in the making about as long as the European Patent Convention (1973), call it 50 years. It’s taken that long, and a little help from the EU in the final straight (note: EPC and European patent system have nothing whatsoever to do with the EU / EEC before that).

So much for R&D, IP as a profession, FDI and more, acceding to the UPC would approach game-changing territory for Ireland, being an EU member state, having English as a national language, a jurisdictional heritage mixing aspects of common law and jurisprudence in IP litigation tracking British precedent relatively closely (*not* a bad thing), still featuring strong advantages for domiciliating both high tech R&D and IP holding companies, besides academic hotbeds of R&D and one of best educated workforces going.

It could (managed well, it should) do for tech and IP in Ireland, what Brexit did to finance for you guys, for exactly the same reasons: had the U.K. not Brexited, London would have had one of the UPC’s 3 Central Divisions since day one. The UPCA and the Rules of Procedures of the UPC are very British legal system-based and -influenced, you can feel the influence which the success of the UK’s IPEC had in it. But well, Brexit, so that Central Division went to Milan instead, and so there still isn’t a Local Division that ‘appeals’ to anglophile litigants…until (if) Dublin comes online.

Contrarians, conspiracists and assorted other nayers, do all the damage you will do about EU and local elections. But please, please, take a leaf out of Geert Wilders’ latest book: BR, N, IR -exit is for the terminally-stupid, never more so than in a situation like this, wherein everybody benefits (and no, you won’t find Big Law arguing against it: ever since Philips v Remington epilady cases around Europe (look it up, based on EP 0101656B1), pan- or cross-European patent litigation just didn’t happen/there was no market/money for it: too costly and, crucially, far too uncertain).

That's all very convoluted - can you explain in simpler terms?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

That was very much the TL;DR version with simpler terms.

I can give it another go: “Unified Patent Court good for Ireland plc and all who sail in her; vote yes”.

What terms, or expressions, or sentences give you difficulty?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

how is it of minimal/ any relevance to the ordinary public? Anyone or any company owned by any member of the public can apply for patents, not just an elite few multinationals, and now its being proposed they only need to do it once instead of multiple times across the EU. It's hugely beneficial to any Irish person or company involved to implement this.

Post edited by Cookie_Monster on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,740 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Because some people unfortunately think everything is zero sum, so if they aren't obviously winning then they must be losing somehow and there's some machievelian conspiracy to make that happen.

I don't really want any more patients thanks :)

Look my experience, limited and all as it is: of copyright, IP and patents is that it's all fine and dandy in theory. But in reality this is law and business for big entities. You need deep pockets to pursue such rights that may be being abused. Business law is expensive. I'd have an interest in IP rights over some of my product but could I as a small business ever manage to enforce my rights. In theory yes, in reality no. You can argue that the proposed change will make it easier in theory but that don't make it going to happen in practice.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

You can argue that the proposed change will make it easier in theory but that don't make it going to happen in practice.

It literally will make it easier. There is no logical counter-argument to that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,562 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

There's an actual patent attorney trying to explain this to you but for some reason you're still trotting out this conspiracy theory.

Anything that advances the single market advances Irish interests. Blindly opposing the government on every referendum for its own sake is the sort of anti-intellectual nonsense that caused Brexit.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭blackwhite

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭nachouser

It's always amusing to see someone take a position based on zero information and then argue backwards from there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,562 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Well, I'm not an expert in patent law but as I see things right now, access to an international standard for patents will make Irish firms more competitive, reduce bureaucracy and foster innovation.

I see no cons whatsoever.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

My own wee bit of reading:

https://www.charteredaccountants.ie/News/understanding-the-referendum-on-the-unified-patent-court

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/dail/2024-02-29/36/

These paras from above seem relevant:

Neale Richmond "Participating in the UPC is also strategically important for our national competitiveness as we are increasingly trying to attract and develop R&D activities here in Ireland. We all know that foreign-owned firms have a strong impact on the Irish economy by contributing substantially to Ireland’s exports, jobs, expenditure in the Irish economy and Exchequer funds. Our participation will enhance Ireland’s reputation as a high-tech economy with strong IP protections. This will boost our attractiveness to foreign multinational companies already established here and those that are making decisions on where to invest.

Seventeen countries have already ratified, including Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Netherlands and Sweden. These countries are our direct competitors when it comes to attracting foreign companies. Competition for American investment in Europe is intense. We must keep upping our game in terms of our value proposition. We want to ensure that Ireland remains well positioned to sustain our success in attracting FDI. Intellectual property protections are one of the factors that investors cite when making investment decisions. Our participation in the unified patent court represents for Ireland an opportunity to enhance the credibility of our messages to inward investors, namely, that Ireland is an attractive location for high-tech and research, development and innovation activities; that the Government recognises the value of intellectual property to enterprise; that it is committed to providing a supportive environment for the development of IP and for protecting and enforcing IP; and that Ireland is a serious competitor for IP-based foreign investment. I believe that if Ireland does not ratify the agreement, there would be a real risk of reputational and operational damage to Ireland’s innovation economy, as non-participation may be perceived as a legislative and structural weakness."

and from chartered accountants:

"If the referendum is carried, the Government has signalled its intention to establish a local division of the UPC in Ireland. Doing so would mean Ireland would be the only common law, native English-speaking jurisdiction with a UPC. 
    Coupled with Ireland’s already attractive tax regime for research and development, the establishment of a local UPC would arguably further boost the State’s profile as a location of choice for inward investment.
    "

So a compelling reason being given to vote Yes is to support and increase FDI. If that is the case, this should be stated clearly to the public - Paddy likes to Know as Enda I think it was, once said.

Why is there no government information of note on this? We're two months out, it's a technical issue and in my experience, I haven't heard or seen any coverage of note in the media. Are they just hoping it'll fly under the radar and as we get closer, government reps will say well it's hard to explain in simple terms, so just vote yes?

• Advertisement

I don't think you're engaging in good faith. I notice that you've not responded to the patent attorney who attempted to explain this to you. Instead, you're just using the JAQ trope once again.

You've ended with more conspiracy rhetoric as well. If you want to know, why not email your TD or do some research? If I'd to guess, I'd say the government haven't gotten around to it yet.

H. H. Asquith

What on earth do you mean? I'm looking at two credible sources - the Chartered Accountants of Ireland and Dáil Éireann.

I'm reading these and trying to discern a) why politically we're having this referendum and b) who are the main beneficiaries of a positive result and c) are there any negatives. If you're not interested in this, fine but don't be criticising others of bad faith by asking questions? Some of us like to think with our own heads and not just straight up accept the narrative that's fed. Is this not what boards is for??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It's not remotely hard to explain in simple terms and it has been explained in simple terms here. You get to file and enforce one patent instead of 18 or 20. It has many benefits and no downsides for those protecting patents. It has downsides for those attempting to infringe patents.

If you struggle to understand those simple terms or are being deliberately obtuse that is on you.

OK thank you - you've answered my third query.

But not a) why politically we're having this referendum and b) who are the main beneficiaries of a positive result?

Having referendums is a risky political business, is it not?

And is it true, that this is mainly for the benefit of FDI and MNCs?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Mod: these have been answered. Stop with this nonsense now.
    You didn't appreciate me giving you an informal warning last time so I'm fairly sure that you won't appreciate my action next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

just heard on the news that this referendum might be postponed.
    I think postponement is a smart move. There’s enough going on with the locals and euros without trying to convince an already peed off electorate to vote yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Anyone know the actual reasoning why they are thinking of postponing it?

I'm not sure having a standalone referendum at a later date might be the wisest thing for something this dry and technical.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,740 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I think it makes sense to postpone, this referendum while not ground breakingly important should absolutely be passed and its very risky right now as we've seen just from the bad faith actor in this thread.

Agreed. The last thing I'd do after losing two referenda is introduce a third, nebulous one ripe for sabotage by various rightist outlets.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

The fact a referendum would need to be held at all on that issue is a quirk (or weakness) in our political system that becomes very exploitable in current environment.

Unfortunately democracies are going to have to grasp the nettle of "bad faith actors" using social media/the internet to squirt nonsense and/or poison into the brains of their citizens, or I am afraid a lot of them won't survive.

You can't postpone questions forever, and some things (not this!) need direct democracy/referendums to decide them properly I think.

Advertisement