Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU patent court referendum

Options
  • 12-03-2024 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭

So the next referendum will be held on the same date as the local and European elections and will be on ratification of the agreement on a European patent court.

I for one like many will be voting no simply because it’s against what the government wants, but what impact could a rejection have? The image of Ireland being a darling member state of the EU could be damaged and would send FG federalists into a tailspin.

Could this be a proto-Irexit referendum? Obviously there’s no prospect of Ireland leaving the EU but it could be a signal that the people have had enough of EU integration.

My real fear is that if the vote is defeated they will pull a Lisbon Treaty and make us vote again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

While there will no doubt be many voters who, like the OP will vote for contrarian reasons I suspect that this will have an easier time of it than the last two did. For one it's quite difficult for the "Everything is Woke" brigade to spin something as boring as patent law in that light. It'll be helped by being on the same day as the local/Euro elections. It will also be helped by the fact that there is a tangible outcome from passing this.

The Government shouldn't be complacent though and need to actually be visible explaining what this is and why it is needed.

I honestly don't know much about this patent court so I'll wait and see what it's all about before coming to a more informed decision about how I plan to vote.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Is this anything to do with the Canada trade agreement that we have not agreed to yet?

Does this give corporations the right to sue the Irish Gov for losses through trade courts? [That is non-Irish courts.]

• Registered Users Posts: 13,032 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Neale Richmond admitted today there will be difficulties with this referendum after what happened last week.

First thing to do, if the government want the referendum to pass is for Neale Richmond, to stay out of the campaign altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

If canada is doing something, surely that is enough reason to say no. Canada is proably the worst place in the western world right now. And as for Trudeau. I hear Canada and it is already a no.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Why do you say that?

What's so bad about Canada?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The main problem with the CETA - Canada EU trade agreement - is the facility it gives MNCs (Multi National Corporations) to sue states and can prevent from changing many regulations that might cost the MNCs profits.

An example might be if the Gov changed regulations re gamboling advertising that affects the National lottery (run by a Canadian Pension fund). The CETA would allow the Gov to be sued for the loss of profits.

There will have to have a referendum to ratify CETA. This is as a result of the successful Supreme Court challenge by TD Patrick Costello, Green Party.

Is the patent referendum anything to do with this CETA deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dublincc2

Regardless of the practicalities, it involves a further erosion of Irish sovereignty, even in something as bland as ceding decision making regarding patents to an EU court. That is all the Irish public need to know to vote No.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,457 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It means Irish patents are protected in multiple countries and allows Irish innovation to be registered in Ireland rather than going elsewhere. Ireland has no desire to have a patent system independent of other countries, we're too small for it to be useful and the only losers would be the Irish who either have to spend more or lose the protection for their inventions in other EU countries.

You are reducing a contrarian position to absurdity.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Except that's not been the case since 2016 when the mechanic was replaced (and indeed it was a flawed idea):

The revised CETA text confirms that the Tribunal shall only apply the agreement, in accordance with the principles of international law, when adjudicating upon claims submitted by investors. It cannot decide on matters of EU or Member State law. It can only look at EU or Member State law as a matter of fact, for example to make sure that the property rights in question are in fact held by the investor. It will therefore not interpret EU or Member States law in a manner binding on EU courts or EU governments. It also puts in black and white that determining whether a measure of a Party is legal under domestic law remains the monopoly of the Party's competent authorities.

As for the patent court; it's to make it easier to get a ruling on patent infringement without having to go to every single individual country in case of an infringement for an EU wide patent; i.e. one place for multiple countries which is already validated by 17 other EU countries with the judges from said countries. A summary of what they do is on their web page here so no, nothing to do with the CETA deal.

No. That is all a certain section of the Irish public need to know to vote No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I for one like many will be voting no simply because it’s against what the government wants

This is the stupidest reason to do anything ever.

I appreciate that large numbers of people do it, but it is beyond moronic.

And you seem to be wearing it as a badge of honour, like deliberate ignorance and obstinacy is some sort of political statement.

People like you are the reason we have Brexit, Trump and far right fascist movements gaining ground in Europe.

Cop on and grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,265 ✭✭✭Shoog

The right wing will come to realise they were never riding a wave with this referendum. It will be a hard crash for them when it passes overwhelmingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The parents referendum isn't a left right issue.

Whether or not a right wing wave exists will be evident from the elections taking place on the same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭StormForce13

What lack of grey cells leads you to imagine, even for a nano-second - that the so-called Right Wing (i.e. everyone who doesn't agree with you in thinking that you are the fountain of all knowledge and wisdom) will give a jennet's turd about this referendum?

As the opening comment alluded to, they will see it as another vehicle to give the government a kicking with. After all that's how they view the Irish people rejection of the wording of the last two referendums.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'd guess on the basis that right (and left) wing parties in general tend to be populist and anti X parties (where X is what ever is the hot topic at the moment, immigration, muslims, EU, land lords, abortion rights, LGBTQ+ rights etc.) to try to become more relevant. This applies in Ireland as much as it does in France, Germany, Italy, Denmark etc. as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dublincc2

This is a pathetic cope post if ever I saw one.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The right has convinced themselves that they somehow won the last referendums.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Anti EU movements and figures might struggle to whip up paranoia and worrying over Patent Law changes of all things; it's a fairly dry, sober topic that will have a negligible effect (as far as I can tell) on lives. I don't think we'll see dramatic posters of innocent redheaded children asking us to think of their future.

On the flip side, given it is already pertaining to law - and a very specific exacting one at that - there'll be less confusion and potential for the kind of utter semantic balls up the two referenda just gone demonstrated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭downtheroad

If you want to give government a kick then don't vote for any FG,FF or green candidates in the local and European elections being held on the same day.

But cop yourself on and educate yourself on this referendum, and vote with your head not your heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭nachouser

Maybe have a look at the threads started by the op? They seem to have a singular vision of things.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Mod: If people wish to discuss the EU Patent referendum then fine, but this will not be a discussion about the right or anything else and I'll be quick to shut this thread and/or issue thread and/or forum bans.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Why does this need to go to a referendum in the first place btw? Is there something specific in the constitution that needs amending here? Or is there just a precedent that EU things go to referendum like Lisbon/Nice etc?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

According to the official detail on the bill, it requires a transfer of jurisdiction, therefore requiring approval for an amendment to the constitution:

The Agreement on a Unified Patent Court (UPCA), providing for the setting up of an International Court between contracting states, was signed in February 2013 by 25 EU Member States, including Ireland. An amendment to Article 29 of the Constitution to add the UPC Agreement as an international agreement to the Constitution would be required before Ireland could join the UPC, as it entails a transfer of jurisdiction in patent litigation from the Irish courts to an international court.

Opposition to this might be a hard sell beyond an emotive appeal towards that nebulous idea of "sovereignty" 'cos it's the driest, most abstracted constitutional amendment I've seen in a while. So it might fail only down to the public's approach that if they don't understand it, better to strike it down out of safety (which is a sensible enough approach to be fair), and can't see a particularly arresting strategic campaign to encourage people to vote Yes either.

It's because of a supreme court ruling in 1987:

Crotty v. An Taoiseach[1] was a landmark 1987 decision of the Irish Supreme Court which found that Ireland could not ratify the Single European Act unless the Irish Constitution was first changed to permit its ratification. The case, taken by Raymond Crotty formally against the Taoiseach (then Garret FitzGerald), directly led to the Tenth Amendment of the Constitution of Ireland (which authorised the ratification of the Single Act) and established that significant changes to European Union treaties required an amendment to the Irish constitution before they could be ratified by Ireland. As a consequence, Ireland, uniquely in the EU, requires a plebiscite for every new, or substantive change to a, European Union Treaty.

source

• Registered Users Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

My real fear is that if the vote is defeated they will pull a Lisbon Treaty and make us vote again.

Something that's lost on so many people is that after it's rejection The Lisbon Treaty was ammended to address the issues Ireland had with it.

Could we hold a referendum that removes the implications of the SC decision to hold a referendum for every EU law change?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,461 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Well, the treaty wasn't amended. No changes were made to the Lisbon Treaty (which would have required a re-ratification by all the other EU member states). Instead, the European Council created a list of guarantees to supplement the Treaty, e.g. the guarantee on Taxation: "Nothing in the Treaty of Lisbon makes any change of any kind, for any Member State, to the extent or operation of the competence of the European Union in relation to taxation". This was already true, but research after the No vote showed that Taxation was a concern for voters, so the Council explicitly guaranteed there wouldn't be any changes

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement

Could we? I would imagine so

Would it have a chance of passing? I sincerely doubt it - people wouldn't like ceding that power to politicians

Advertisement