Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site is a graveyard - How can boards save itself? [Threadbanned users in 1st post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,390 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

A lot of people citing the Vanilla changeover as the site killer….

I would say modding is what's killing the site, or at least the quality of modding. Why would people come back?

Have been a member of Boards since 2007, and modding is the worst it has ever been now. I got multiple warnings in that Deposit Recycling Scheme thread and the person I was niggling with got a couple too. I'd say neither of us think the other deserved a warning at all. It's stupid stuff altogether and just sucks the life out of the site.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

So when I was modding CA the basic reasoning behind this was given to us that...

A thread ban is essentially a moderator instruction that you have to follow. It does not appear on your permanent record therefore can't be handled by the standard DRP process.

Whereas any warnings do appear under your profile (visible to mods, C-Mods and admins) so can be appealed via DRP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I had a very similar experience to you.

Posted a thread on a threadban on HelpDesk. A mod there moved it to DRP (without the courtesy of informing me or even putting a note on the thread saying they'd moved it.)

I then got told off on DRP for posting in the wrong area!

I was also told that I had no right to having my issue reviewed by an Admin, but "I could ask an Admin to look at it as a favour".

I really wouldn't be bothered with it again. Waste of time.

Post edited by Ezeoul on

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

that’s fine. But it doesn’t make sense to me.

I’m thread banned. I ask the moderator to reconsider- I’m told no. I contact admins and C mods. They tell me I can’t appeal a threadban. So I walk away annoyed.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

I don’t know whether it is permissible to name posters and so I’ll err on the side of caution and not - but this is the thread I was talking about.

Actual facts posted, from more than one poster and from different sources (lest there be an accusation of it being “the wrong source”) and instead of an argument or debate, there is obfuscation and lengthy wordy posts that say nothing but gaslight.

I’m starting to not really enjoy posting and it’s generally very interesting to be here but one or two bad apples are really off putting. It’s great to discuss with people who disagree, but the disingenuity is really annoying.

• Advertisement

you can in help desk.
    I don’t know who told you otherwise or why they did but they are wrong. You can and plenty have done so.

Edit to add; I would definitely recommend it’s merged into DRP though. Regardless if it is attached to your profile etc is immaterial, I think making disputes easier to conduct and not harder for posters is the best way forward imo.
    not my decision to make of course but I certainly would suggest it’s considered anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I saw that and laughed in the context of this thread, adds virtually nothing to those discussions and the cause of many quarrels as you say. I'd say many posters there breathed a sign of relief when they were gone and groaned last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Patrick Mahomes

There does seem to be an issue when mods, C-mod and Admins in this thread alone are all giving different answers on how and where to appeal certain issues so then the question needs to be asked to those in charge how is the average poster supposed to understand the processes is if those deemed to be overseeing the moderation of the site are giving different answers.

Regards,

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yep, that's why I suggested thread bans should expire after a set time. The current set up is designed to annoy standard posters. It may be appropriate for posters deliberately trolling and setting out to disrupt. But for the more general poster who just gets frustrated & dragged into a silly comment by one of the low level trolls, then reported - there should be a simple way.

And of course I realise that could be seen at odds with comment above, so perhaps three strikes and you're out of the thread.

• Administrators Posts: 13,803 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Can I just ask posters, what is it you enjoy about Boards.ie?

There's a lot of negativity and giving out from posters but there must be positives for all those people to keep posting.

So can we just see what do people get from it? What do they feel works well? What keeps them coming back even with all the problems already outlined.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

See the way I'd view thread bans would be for repeated, consistent bad behaviour in a thread rather than an immediate act so the regular user might get a slap on the wrist for a once off reaction that breaks the rules, but the troll gets the boot to the curb for constant derailment of the thread.

Maybe they aren't being used in that way, I honestly can't say but that's how I've always applied them.

Habit.

Pure and simple.

Its a bad habit that is hard to break.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

I genuinely enjoy a range of discussions about many topics, and when posters are genuine and put forward their honest opinion - even though we may disagree, there can be such an interesting time here!

I do think there are some posters who see a poster they disagree with and actively try to get them removed, even temporarily by their conduct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭tom23

DIY thread - fooking brilliant!

I just check the same threads I’ve been on for years mostly these days. But there’s a nice range of discussion to be had. Nowhere else can I discuss lifting weights, snooker, cycling and Star Trek on one platform

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭riddles

I would have saw it as a place to have a level of discourse on topics. But in the last year or so free and open discussion is not really possible and I wouldn’t post much and only have a vague level of engagement with the site as a result. It’s a pity really.

I don't believe that! I don't believe it's simply a bad habit. I just find it very difficult to understand why someone would continue to spend so much time on a website that's so awful.

There are ways of breaking the habit. So I don't believe for a second that very prolific posters are here out of habit.

There is some "reward" to posting here. There's some payback for your time. If there wasn't it would be very very easy to avoid.

I think your answer above is a bit lazy to be honest. Can you not think of 1 thing you enjoy?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,480 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Sports in general, TV and Films, Motors and a few others would be where I post mostly. I actually don't mind Modding as it isn't too much hassle generally.

There can be alot of negativity as you say, but that is sometimes down to a poster who you cannot win with anyway - just like real life - keyboard warriors are everywhere, but the majority just get on with it.

I'm sorry you don't like my answer, but it's the truth.

I ask myself all the time why I'm still here, and habit is the only reason I can come up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,318 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It probably falls into a few categories for most posters, with some overlap between discussion and keeping track of things you are interested in e.g. I'd imaging Sports and Current Affairs ticks that boxes for a lot of posters. There is also the 'useful' so the technical forums. And the 'diversion'. And there's probably overlap there across those categories for hobby type interests.

So just throwing this out there…

Useful:

Bargain alerts does what it says on the tin. And the 'technical' type forums useful for asking a question about a car, or appliance or whatever. Similarly Consumer Issues in case you end up in similar situation you can get good advice \ forewarning. If the forum for your local area is active, can be useful for knowledge.

Interested Party:

For Current Affairs, threads can be a good way to keep up with latest developments but also explanations behind those developments. You get a range of inputs than often go deeper than just what you get from a news article. When it gets to the point though where it forms into two camps debating one side versus the other, rather than updating on latest developments, I tend to disengage unless especially invested in the subject matter or think my posts are bringing something to the table not being said by others. Some posters thrive on that to-and-fro though.

Diversion:

For specific interests, say TV, Film, Cycling, Music, Gigs, the forums are good ways to keep up with latest news. And if you're watching something at same pace discussing it can be half the fun.

For After Hours, some threads can be genuinely amusing but I think less so than before. The You Laugh You Lose type photos are entertaining. This AH thread is boards at its best… not many places you could you ask such a random question and be helped out by strangers in your quest.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Next time I’ll ask in Help Desk so. Bizarre that wasn’t mentioned at the time by anyone.

The DRP I opened was moved to feedback or help deak, I think. Then a load of posters piled in arguing each side of it. I had to beg to get it closed, because it looked like I was opening a thread to attack one particular admin. It was all very strange and left a sour taste in my mouth.

After 15 years of being a mod, I questioned if I wanted to do it anymore. But if i don’t, no one is left to mod the fitness forum.

they/them/theirs

I’m contractually obligated to stay here, forever and ever and ever and ever…

I even got a plaque put up.

honestly though I have very little to complain about generally. Vanilla is complete toss but otherwise it’s a grand time. I would say my favourite thread is Wherer’s in AH, Grem and the rest of the gang are great bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Shan Doras

Boards badly needs to prepare for the future by slimming down. A lot of dead forms need to go, After hours and Current affairs/IMHO should be merged into an new "General Discussion" forum. The covid forum should be deleted

For those who have posted positives, is there anything you feel that can be done to boost those positives? Boost the forums you post in?

We've had over 900 posts of the negatives. We've heard the complaints and they will be addressed. We now want to concentrate on the positives.

So any suggestions that people feel might improve the Boards.ie experience. Positive things than can be implemented.

We know about the trolls and inconsistent moderation. So let's suggest something new..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭nachouser

I only recently discovered the "bad parking" thread in the Motors forum, it's worth a follow if you haven't already seen it. Some very amusing posters on there.

Also, the "what did you have for breakfast" thread if you like arguing about whether or not toast should come pre-buttered with your breakfast. The jury is still out on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,536 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

There are 'with chat' and 'without chat' variations of the bad parking thread, so you might need to clarify which one you're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Patrick Mahomes

I think the post just above this one is right and the poster has the right idea. Boards has become very bloated with sub forums that no uses anymore for its current user base. So many dead sub forums that could be blended into main forums. I think that would/could help a lot

Boards could do with going back to basics a bit, Boards has always been helpful that is what brought lurkers in to post and maybe it would help out a bit.

Regards,

p.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

There's plenty of good posters, some very funny posters, plenty of great threads - some informative, some funny, most of the mods, cmods and admins are sound in the fora I frequent.

I think it's just the nature of Feedback that we all concentrate on the negatives as the positives don't need review.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭nachouser

With chat:-) I found it to be a very funny thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement