Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site is a graveyard - How can boards save itself? [Threadbanned users in 1st post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Yes, i have had a thread ban overturned, specifically in the Enoch thread. 3 PM's to the issuing Mod and it was taken care of. And i have posted in that thread since

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,025 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

You can appeal threadbans in HelpDesk.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I didn't think you could pm a different moderator in the forum - you had to deal with the one who issues the warning / threadban?

I've been spoken to like I was no better than a dog when I attempted to discuss something with a moderator civilly. Their tone and response when I contacted them was instantly hostile and rude. Decidedly "uncivil". CMod didn't want to know.

I've seen that same moderator speaking to other posters with the same lack of civility many times. Maybe they themselves don't know how to conduct themselves in a civil manner. Or just know they won't get pulled up for it.

• Administrators Posts: 13,869 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

If you feel you are being unfairly treated you can of course contact another moderator or go to the Cat-moderator. It's probably better to go to the Category Moderator but there's no rule that you cannot PM any moderator in any forum. If you find one moderator hot headed, of course you can try discuss with a more reasonable moderator.

There's a poster in PI who thinks I have a grudge against them. As a result I have agreed to not action that poster any more and let the other moderators deal with them.

As with any poster if you get a PM from a moderator that you think is abusive or out of line you should report it. Take a screenshot and send it to any Admin.

• I would suggest to all posters appealing an infraction also that you focus on your own post/warning and not about those around you.

A lot of attempts at appeal I come across usually involve an attempt to discuss others, out of respect for all I personally will never discuss another poster with anyone else (bar other mods of course when necessary).

It is never acceptable to lash out regardless if you feel like you’ve been on the receiving end of uncivil posting, please report it and let us deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Packrat

@Big Bag of Chips , any comment to add on the unbanning of one the most vexatious serial rereg trolls in CA this morning?

There's been lots of fine words here about dealing with low level trolling but action speaks many times louder..

Clearly Beasty isn't on board with any proposed change to how they are dealt with. His action this morning is a slap in the face to those who took their time to post on the topic here, and demonstrates what the moderation policy on these individuals will be from here on.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

@bigbagofchips

If you feel you are being unfairly treated you can of course contact another moderator or go to the Cat-moderator. It's probably better to go to the Category Moderator but there's no rule that you cannot PM any moderator in any forum. If you find one moderator hot headed, of course you can try discuss with a more reasonable moderator.

Can we get this stickied somewhere? Because I have always understood that this was not an option, and that you had to deal with mod who issued the warning / threadban in all circumstances. CMod also didn't want to know, until this was done.

Thanks.

• Administrators Posts: 53,562 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

You should always start by contacting the same mod.

You can contact another mod or the cmod if you think the mod is being unfair to you.

If you've been issued a warning and are disputing it the first step is to discuss with the moderator in question.

If you have ongoing issues with a specific moderator then of course you can contact the moderation team and/or the C-Mod to raise your concerns.

You are all aware that moderators have their own forums to discuss issues in their particular forums. Some teams are much better than others at communicating with each other. But if a complaint is made to a moderator about another moderator it will be discussed and addressed. The moderator may discuss it with the team as a whole or may go to the C-Mod themselves for advice.

But everyone on here is an adult. So adults should be able to discuss issues with each other. There are formal processes in place for raising disputes or complaints but that doesn't mean that informal avenues can't be taken too. Very often a PM outlining issues can help to highlight problems and get them sorted without the need for formal procedure.

That sounds good in theory, but call me cynical - I can't see that going down well with mods if other mods from the same forum intervened and started over-ruling them.

As I've said, I've found CMods don't want to know unless you've dealt with the mod first.

• Advertisement

I've already said on this thread it is a forum I know very little about and tend to stay away from! So I don't even know what poster and which thread you are talking about.

I will go to the moderators and C-Mods though and discuss what's going on.

So adults should be able to discuss issues with each other.

You'd wish.

But there are mods that don't do that. They don't discuss, they take the line "do as I say, not as I do", and expect nothing less than an admission of wrong behaviour and a grovelling apology, even if their action was (in the opinion of the person challenging it) unwarranted.

This is where accusations of power-tripping mods comes in.

I personally will not admit to wrong-doing or apologise for something just for the sake of it when I believe the mod was wrong in the first place.

It leaves a poster between a rock and a hard place.

Ezeuol, as mentioned above if you are having ongoing issues with a "power-tripping mod" then highlight it with someone else.

It will be looked at and it will be dealt with.

I don't, currently, and I hope I never will. Now I just don't bother with the forum they mod any more.

But I am filing the information on this thread for future use, if ever its needed.

As an aside, as well as the "ignore poster" function, boards should explore getting an "ignore thread" or "ignore forum" feature, if possible, with Vanilla.

There are loads of threads and loads of forums I don't ever click in to.

It's possible to manually ignore a thread/forum you don't want to read.

An actual ignore function would remove the likelihood of clicking into an area you don't want to visit, when you browse via "Latest Posts" or "Recent Discussions" instead of by forum.

Anyway, it was just a suggestion. Feel free to ignore.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I was told twice by different admins I couldn’t.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,025 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Fair enough. I always thought threadbans were a HelpDesk matter.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

I PM’d the mod, who happens to be an admin and got short shrift. The 2nd time it happened I appealed to other admins, I was told nothing could be done. Threadban can’t be appealed.

I won’t name names as I don’t want to make this about me. I want to make it about process fairness.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Patrick Mahomes

This isn’t meant as a slight on you because you are being honest but when a poster who has been on the site since 2008 and is a C-mod on the site isn’t sure about one version of an appeals process does work say a lot really how convoluted some of the stuff on Boards is.

Regards,

P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭NSAman

Have to say, lots of the moderation is skewed towards a left leaning (some might say far left). I hold more center right views which many disagree with, thats fine it is supposed to be a discussion forum after all.

Any opposing views lead to moderation being quick to ban on a thread.

I'm not political. I do have opinions though and have stopped posting on any hint of political posts.

It's interesting that you can take a ban to HelpDesk. I was also told that you have to take it up with the moderator involved. Needless to say, nothing was ever resolved as there is no point in arguing a case on an opinion piece on the internet.

It's a shame that open discussion (yes i know that requires moderation) is stymied by one sided moderation.

Threadbans and complaints against moderators are normally dealt with in Helpdesk. They are not handled in the Dispute Resolution Forum.

The DRP is only for points warnings and forum bans.

That's how I always understood it. I've never, ever handled a DRP about a threadban.

H. H. Asquith

I’ve found that to be untrue in my own case. A lack of a clear procedure left with no option but to give up and walk away in frustration.

To me it’s simple. Just allow the same procedure as you’d have for a forum ban for a thread ban. I said this at the time of my failed appeal and no one responded.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 28,615 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Taking a step back, does that process make sense to you?

It seems confusing for users.

What's the rationale that the DRP process cannot look at thread bans but Helpdesk can?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

it’s the lack of clear process that bothers me, not the personal impact.

I was bitterly disappointed with how my appeal was handled, because there was a lack of process. So much so, I won’t post in a forum moderated by that person again as it’s too high risk or a repeat. Entirely my own choice.

I bring it up to highlight a potential problem that can be easily fixed, not to get sympathy.

they/them/theirs

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

Has it always gone on where posters will openly gaslight you ? In the last week or so there are at least three posters who will call you a liar (happened to me just today); deny facts (when facts have been linked to) and are very uncivil!!

I’d prefer not to be one of those who constantly report seemingly minor things but it’s very annoying!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭tom23

Report away. If its the same posters Im thinking off they would do the same to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

I think I might have to - the other day I was told to prove something that I believed would happen. It’s my belief, how can I prove that ??

But when I’m told “that is a blatant lie” and I show evidence no reply - or more gaslighting!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement