Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Criminal Justice (Incitement to Violence or Hatred and Hate Offences) Bill 2022 - Read OP

Options
  • 26-10-2022 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭

So after months of consultation and 4000 submissions, the minister for justice has sought and received approval to bring forward her bill on hate speech. Should the law pass, hatred speech will now be easier to prosecute and will now contain provisions around gender identity as well.

I don't know what to make of this to be honest. While it's good that people will be protected from bullying and harassment (as they always were?)laws like this can only have a chilling effect on legitimate debate no matter how well intentioned. Who or what website or publication is going to make the determination that their speech falls on the right side of the line when a custodial sentence could be the result of getting it wrong.

One also wonders about the priorities in the department to be honest. Rather niche stuff like this seems to be getting an awful lot of time compared to big issues like lawlessness in Dublin City.

Mod warning 26/9/23

I realise some of you wish to try and turn any thread they can into discussion of trans issues

This thread is about the proposed legislation, not your personal views on transgenderism

Any questions PM me - do not respond to this post in thread

Threadbans

Frank Bullitt

Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

Advertisement