Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,488 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The water in the fountains is fine.

The only taps in the airport accessible by the public are in the toilets and I wouldn't fill from them for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭sioda

Wouldn't an app that allows you to scan the vouchers the RVMs print into an account and then create a new barcode at any stage that allows any credit built up to be used anywhere or transferred to a card or bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭ofthelord

I haven't used one of the return machines, but first time seeing one being used today as I was outside the shops. The lady trying to use the machine gave up after a min or so of trying to put a couple of bottles in. She just dropped them into the bin outside the door instead.

One thing I noticed was that the machine did look like it'd be a pain to use for anyone in a wheelchair, the slot for inserting the bottles into looks pretty high up

• Registered Users Posts: 10,598 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Judgemental much?

The big retailers have their paw prints all over this scheme. Question is why did the Green Minister allow them???? Follow the money???

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭vafankillar

nah, liberal politicians need to stop making stuff up, like the return deposit scam, has to be stopped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭gipi

Dublin airport has water fountains airside where you can fill up bottles. No need to use toilets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭beachhead

• Registered Users Posts: 14,488 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I know that it was another poster who mentioned taps.

I said in earlier posts that I've been using the hydration stations (fountains) for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I've not abandoned any myself, but they're piling up now after another attempt and the machine not working. Picture is what was at the machine when I went up to it, so staffs attempt to help is to leave the shopping cart there.

Started off fine I'd return X from last time and buy a new X, but the last few times I've had to back to the car. I've still got a boot "full" now. I drive to do the shop so other than them piling up the worst is I've to go back to car again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,495 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Depends where you go, most places were the same price as here. Most of the homeless used the money in McDonald's for what was essentially a plastic burger for a dollar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,399 ✭✭✭jj880

Re-turn, the company operating the scheme, yesterday revealed 21,018,360 containers had been returned since it launched on February 1

Source: https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/only-fraction-containers-bought-under-32479323

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

just finished reading that. So basically their current return rate is 10.5%. Very long way from their target goal of 90!
    But then again i can also look at this in a different way that disgusts me, that way being that the other 89.5% of return logo stock purchased (that ones that was'nt returned), they've gotten to keep all the deposits on.

it feels really backwards towards their goal and more befitting off of people buying more plastic/tin and not recycling them via the rvm. Return stand to benefit more from people's non-participate after buying a return logo container. We can really see more and more now that this scheme is more about money than anything else. The whole pro-green thing is just a bonus plus for PR. Stats and money appear to be the priority here.

i've calculated, out of the 200 million containers sold and only 21,018,360 returned. Re-turn has made anywhere between €26,847,246 and €44,745,410 from the unreturned containers/unclaimed deposits thusfar. (almost 27 mil at the least and 45 million at the very most possible) And thus people who are buying the containers and binning/squishing them are giving return free money, only encouraging return further via financially supporting them.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,399 ✭✭✭jj880

Going to be very hard to convince the public this isnt a flat out scam without some transparency on total unclaimed deposits and where they're going. "Re-Turn is not-for-profit" isnt going to cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Quay_Koncept

I am a religous recycler of aluminium cans and plastics and glass. It simple pays to recycle, I am very particular about my green and brown bins making sure everything is in the correct bin. This scheme is a pain in the back side. I went to lidl the other day about 4pm there was a que for the recycle machine hindering access and exit from the store. I spoke to the casheir and he said its a pain for staff as it regularly blocks up and they need to send someone from the floor to fix it so they are a person down. Ohhh well Ill have to get used to it so!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭downtheroad

At super valu Raheny yesterday the machine wasn't working , so a shop assistant came out with a sweeping brush and rammed the handle into the machine to try to dislodge whatever was blocking the machine from working.

Safety101.

If a shop assistant gets a serious injury from trying to fix these awful, not fit for purpose machines, that will be the end of the scheme.

yes exactly, and the thing is this €27-45 million is just extra money they took from people, extra money people had to pay on the purchase of those products, extra money that never needed to be added in the first place if ireland were properly handing our recycleables and actually recycling instead of burning and selling them to begin with. caused this mess and the consumers are being made to clean it up and being punished for it.

The low recycling numbers is their problem not ours, and they're making money off of their own problem. It does'nt matter if they're a not-for-profit or whatever excuse/wherever the money is put into, the fact still stands that they're taking that extra money from customers who now have to pay more money on drink things they buy. in a way its bullying and a blatant extortion no matter how they mask it.

conclusion: if we buy drinks we're being forced to partake in helping them fix their problem of low recycling stats, in return what do we get? nothing, we break even at best! minus the time spent partaking, we're actually at a loss as we cannot get time back. Meanwhile those of us who disregard our deposits being held at ransom and decide to forgo them entirely (willingly or unwillingly as some don't have a choice) by taking it as a tax and not using the rvm's (those who don't help fix the problem of low recycling stats) are being robbed/taxed for not helping fix the country's recycling numbers problem. we help we get no reward or payment, just our own money back. we don't help we get deposit taxed, we don't buy the products with the deposit fee then we're forced to buy from the north or entirely do without the product. We're being snookered here lads. Unless manufacterers start making non-deposit taxable containers, but who's to say they won't be greedy and charge even more money for them! already seen the whole airport water increase via pro green container scandal. whether its true or not, its still serves as an example. When it comes to more enviormentally friendly packaging, we shouldn't be forced to pay extra for that! its bs.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭pauly58

It's just another fool of an idea, the same as the doors on the alcohol aisles in supermarkets was going to solve the drink problem. It would be one thing if you got a reduction in the cost of having your green bin collected, we are 1/2 hr drive to our nearest recycling centre, plastic bottles & cans have always gone there, & will continue to go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Quay_Koncept

Those doors are just so ridiculous, I assumed they would not open when alcohol was not allowed to be sold but they are retract all the time. Just such an odd idea. I am however impressed with the mechanical mechanism that is ables to retract an open them thousands of times a day with a very small failure rate.

there should be a law made that prevents them from simply upping the price to solve a problem, or to not allow them to tax a problem. When they tax a problem they're only making money off of the problem. At best it only prevents low-income area's from having the ability to partake in the problem without actually solving the problem. Same can be argued with fines and taxes of all sorts. Rich people can still get away with it and have the privledge/luxury of the problem due to being able to afford it. its like how many times the rich get off scot-free from ever facing jail too! remember its called a "fine" because "ahh thats fine you can do that aslong as u pay us a bit extra, will be grand"

with this deposit scheme, its just seen by many as another green tax

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭TokTik

They’re not free though, everyone pays tax towards it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭JayRoc

"They’re not free though, everyone pays tax towards it"

This, this, a million times this.

What do you mean? I pay taxes like everyone else - but we never had a collection service, free or otherwise till a private company came in and started serving the area. Was and still are glad to pay them for this as saved a lot of hassle.

Maybe my taxes were paying for your free service as well and now you have to pony up?? Life's tough ain't it :)

"The low recycling numbers is their problem not ours, and they're making money off of their own problem. It doesn't matter if they're a not-for-profit or whatever excuse/wherever the money is put into, the fact still stands that they're taking that extra money from customers who now have to pay more money on drink things they buy. in a way its bullying and a blatant extortion no matter how they mask it."

That nails it well. The Green Party minister picking the sexy Green Tech option and penalising the public, instead of putting in the work to improve the existing system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭TokTik

Not particularly. I don’t pay for bins currently. So it’s no skin off my nose. How about being annoyed at your local council rather than other poster over your lack of refuse collection, more chance of the issue being resolved, especially with local elections coming up.

No point in being annoyed at the local council, when you've never had a service in the first place. Good to see bin charges coming in more widely though in recent years, now they need to do the same for public water & sewage. I suppose you can stick out a few rain barrels too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I'm all for paying for services and utilities, but the likes of refuse collection, water and such should be public services. Whether they are paid for at the point of service or via general taxation is less of an issue for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭GSBellew

Refuse is a service, so if you are happy to pay for services you should be happy to pay for the service of having your waste collected and disposed off, it is a very strange mindset to expect to be absolved of the responsibility of dealing with the wast you produce.

Where do you draw the line between what you expect to come out of general taxation? Should the council cut your grass and clean your windows & gutters whilst they are cleaning up after you?

All seems very communist to me. Would be completely contrary to the polluter pays concept, there would be no incentive to produce less waste if its disposal was free at source, as it stands you can pay less by having a smaller bin, or opting out of a bin service completely and taking your waste to a civic amenity centre and paying to dispose of it there.

As for the re-turn thing, like anything it is no big deal when you get used to it, bit of a pain now when there are still non deposit bottles and cans about as you have to segregate them, but when it is in full swing it will be easier, it has just meant a third bin in the kitchen, waste recycling and return, simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

do you not feel the design of the recycle bin is flawed and every time you open it, if not under a shelter, it lets in water in this country and all the items inside the bin get soaked?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,814 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The system needs to be the same as buying the product, manual returns are essential, and there should be 1000s of dedicated manual return depots around the country, along with the machines.

• Advertisement

i understand what both of you are saying, but i think the main issue is'nt "paying for the service" itself, but rather the fact that the council used to deal with waste collection but then sold it off to private bin companies as a service to compete for by privatizing it which then in turn allows the companys to come up with their own prices and payment options for this "service" rather than having it being done seemingly free like it was once before

(i know it actually wasnt ever free and obviously the money for it came from somwhere or from some tax or other, but to the average person that pays taxes and does'nt know where it goes, to them it seemed invisible and i don't blame them for seeing it that way either, so for simplicity sake i'll reffer to it as free, meaning we did'nt pay a private company from our bank account for the service of bin collection)

paying for bins felt like we lost a public service, just like how many would feel if we lost free water and had to pay irish water, for water. Now even our recycleables are being monopolized/privatized/taxed with this deposit return scheme.

Advertisement