Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,414 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Ah here now that's conspiracy theory territory.

But then again maybe as an ex GP member you have inside information to share.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

its not conspiracy theory, if anything its speculative but its highly plausible. We're getting screwed over here with the scheme and stuck footing the bill for this. Maybe irish law should have made stores take the hit or manufacturers instead of passing the costs to the consumer?

might have sounded silly, but hear me out we should'nt have to fix their mess/their problem. Maybe woulda been better for US overall if the shops should suck up the minus 15cent-25cent meaning they make that much less now with this scheme. They're lucky they're still allowed to sell those containers, so if anything it should be an acceptable loss to them if they wish to continue selling those containers/products. Essentially tax the brands for making and using those containers! The scheme is more pro money than pro green. The people who already recycle shouldn't be the ones getting screwed, and if anything should be getting rewarded.

From a green point of view they should target the root cause (people who create the products) or the people who throw their waste around. Or tax the shops for selling these products. Instead we're being taxed for buying them? feels a bit backwards. Do they want us to buy and recycle? or want us to buy and not recycle? either way they still stand to gain from either of those choices/outcomes. The table is tilted and rigged in their favor. Only winning move is not to play, purchasing a return container is playing by paying. would be nice if companies made tetra pack to get around this deposit like how coke zero start coming out to get around the sugar tax which has seemingly dissapeared now. i guess they wont for the most part as their costs are passed onto the consumer via deposit.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭GSBellew

There was, it is just that Dublin was decades behind the rest of the country.

indeed, and the country as a whole are still decades behind others as we still have'nt even got a recycling plant for out plastics, despite recycling being brought in now since ages back. They were just literally promoting recycling so they can sell our recyclables for a bit of easy money on the side, quite cheeky when they go around parading and drumming into peoples heads all this and that about recycling and saying its for the environment only then for them to turn around and burn it or pass the problem onto other countries, while making a bit of money on the side instead of actually recycling it like they told us.

i've been saying for years that recycling in this country is one of the biggest scam's, but now with this new DRS scheme people are actually starting to see its true colors more and shine some light on it realizing we all been lied to about our recycleables all along, and what we were initially told about recycling was all bogus in this country.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Yeah the 50/50 is just an example. In your case what was previously 80% now feels smaller which makes the 20 feel bigger

• Advertisement

Bin company pays you for each product collected as a credit on your bill. No reason for it not to work. Maybe technology will need to be improved but it could be done in theory certainly

• Registered Users Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Gary_dunne

The Supervalu in Churchtown must be the best RVM there is, have used it multiple times, never had any issue at all with them.

Went around this morning on my walk to the Luas with a bag of empties and only thought on my way that if the machines were out of service I'd be getting on the Luas with a bag full of empty beer cans, not a great look at 8am. Thankfully machine was running as normal!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not only does it not give back the deposit, it will eventually break the machine because its not like the stuff is actually being handled properly once yeeted in to the back of it. Potentially causing it to shut down before printing the voucher for what you have scanned in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,974 ✭✭✭thesandeman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Some seem to have more cop on with their placement. One Supervalu had a recycling bin pretty much next to the machine. Pop in the cans that weren't in the scheme together with the one dodgy can that wasn't accepted.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Tesco guy tells me the kids fruit shoot bottles that come with fast food meals are 'not liked' by the RVM.....after it kept getting rejected. Just threw it in the bin nearby as couldn't be arsed trying elsewhere.

YES!! i've had quite alot of trouble with those pesky bottles as seen by frequent readers of this thread. My ONLY solution for them has been to bring them to LIDL's machine's. Theirs seem to be the only one's that accept them. i made a last effort attempt at trying them in lidl's before planning on going through my receipts to bring them back to mcdonalds to get the deposit back over the counter. Luckily somehow the lidl machines seem to accept them, but sadly appear to be the only machines also! tried a number of different places.

its usually tropicanna and fruit shoot that cause the most hassle, and every so often the odd can or bottle. i believe its their size and the shape recognition from within the machines. Shape recognition seems to have alot of trouble with smaller containers, and some even don't read/recognize the shape. The software inside the machine for recognitizing the shape is at fault and needs updating.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Goes to show what a mess this is, really the machines should not be caring at all about the bottle size or shape just that it has a legitimate barcode and as long as it has that it shouldn't matter. Had the same issue at a machine in Dunnes not accepting a bottle that I bought in Supervalu.

This seems to be so badly thought out and implemented, it's almost like it is done on purpose to p*ss everyone off.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

They mostly don't accept them but sometimes they do.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

That what the Tesco guy said, speaking like he's seen many people standing there trying to get the machine to accept them.

From above I could take them to Lidl but TBH life is too short to drive somewhere out of my way for maybe 45c if I have three of these bottles.

I didn't know McDonald's give you the deposit back over the counter. Is that the case with all small shops etc who do t have their own machines. Also wondered what the deal was with vending machines in venues etc. guess you have to take bottle home again, could you be arsed.

This is just another tax....dont get me started on the fact Coke now don't do 24 can slabs, they've reduced them to 18 all so they can keep the €10 on special price point (plus deposit).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭crusd

I though I was the only person here who was actually able to use the machines and who never had a problem with them. I was beginning to think I must be suffering some sort of Psychosis where the machines worked be finally it appears i am not alone.

I did it the other day. I was stressed as the machine was continuously rejecting the can. A whack helped relieved the stress and the sound of the can being crushed was also quite soothing

• Registered Users Posts: 17,982 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Given my 3 year old the job of putting the containers in the machine when shopping, he loves doing it. Hes very slow so I do end up with about 10 receipts but keeps him happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

tesco in the north have Guinness with the ReTurn Tax applied symbol. Unfortunately the Guinness is priced at 20GBp vs 20e here.

Also Brew Dog Punk are accepted in the tax return machines here. But best to try Northern bought product in the machines. Lots of products that are cheaper in the north are accepted in the machines (when they work)

Tropicana Robinsons Innocent Guinness brewdog- all have paid out for me at SuperValu

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Whats the position when you have cans that were bought in that store, have the return logo but the RVM wont accept. Do the staff have to accept them manually at the checkouts? Because I asked in Aldi and they said 'nothing we can do'. I thought there was supposed to be something about them accepting them manually in event of machines not working?

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

their point is the ReTurn is a wonderful success, their point is your the problem because your perception is altered by less going into the recycling bin.

This is another way to view their post

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaslighting

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Fantastic scam by the government.

These cans are now 25c more expensive than they were a few months ago.

And by their own rules being over 500ml I should get 25c back on each one, what I paid.

But I spent so much time and wasted so much petrol trying to recycle them because machines are:

That from now on I'll purposely dump them in the rubbish bin, not the recycling because my time and patience are worth more than thinking about yet another government failure.

I also brought well over 100 cans to the bank and it accepted maybe 30% of them.

SCAM!

also if you did plan on heading out to a LIDL just to get rid of those small robinsons bottles and a couple more stuff (assuming you have enough to make it worthwhile) a tip i would reccomend doing is phoning up the LIDL you intend on going to before hand (or a friend that lives close by the area) to find out if the machine is actually working. about 3 weeks back in this thread i went to 3 lidl's in a row, all machines down, and a dealz too not working. ended up having to lug them around and eventually found a tesco which thankfully took the majority.

Well normally one is told to just go try them in another store's machine, while the workers shrug their shoulders claiming to know nothing about it or saying there's nothing they can do.

But ideally after having tried that i think it's best you keep receipts for everything you buy that comes with a deposit and have the receipt (proof of purchase) when returning to that store, to try get the deposit cost back at the customer service or counter. its not an easy process and sometimes may not always result in success, but try not to lose the head, sometimes they give the deposit just to get rid of you quick, other times no luck and is nothing but hassle.

After trying that we're reccomended by the scheme to send an email with the photo of your receipt and can to return, but from my own personal experiances i have absolutely no fate whatsoever in going down the "emailing return" route. It's a desperate last resort if anything

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Isn't it funny how it's advertised as a deposit you will get back, but in reality in many cases it's a roll of the dice whether you will get your refund! And yes stores should be forced to take back manual returns just like you can go through manual checkouts but it seems to keep the stores happy with this scheme it was never mandated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭SteM

Is anyone having these problems hammering re-turn on social media or contacting them via email? If they are what are the responses or have they given up responding?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,307 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

What's the story with not being able to use the receipts in a different chain store, recycled in one Lidl, another Lidl wouldn't take the receipt.

Seems absolutely stupid the receipt must be used in the same store especially when its a private chain with a centralized system - I guess the barcode is linked in to their tilling system for when it's redeemed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,088 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

It seems no one decided to use this as an opportunity to stop drinking fizzy drinks, particularly given the obesity levels in Ireland.

Or have people cut down on drinking that junk?

Advertisement