Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

I think I'll just stick to bottles of beer in future! I'd rather bring these to a bottle bank and not worry about whether I'm getting any money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

i agree its not nice, but its also not nice for one to have the mat pulled from under them when they have their hopes up thinking they're gonna redeem a bunch of cans only for none of them to go through and all get rejected. at that point bringing them back home was unplanned and unexpected so i can imagine why people just leave them there. Out of frustration or inconvenience, they didn't wanna add more inconvenience to their day after already being inconvenienced enough by this prior.

i believe its only littering when its going all over the place and dirty and messy. if its neat and standing upright in a bag beside the machine, and not in anyones way then that sort of okay. its not nice to see it just being left there because its an eyesore and it would send the wrong message to other people seeing others get away with it and then others adding more to it. the staff should be regularly clearing the area.

if someone trips on a can/bottle trying to enter the store, or if these bags pose some other sort of hazard, guess who gets sued?

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

i tried that, sadly no luck and was not possible without going to glenegary. other than that there was virtually none in dublin. and i doubt someone would go all the way to wexford or cork just for a vouchers that had to be spent instore.

i would take a wild guess and say the people holding onto can and bottles thought they were gonna be able to get cash for them if they wait it out and hold onto them. till the scheme goes live. We were'nt shown any re-turn logo on containers until ages after the scheme was first mentioned, i remember having to post here about it asking the person you had responded to, since they had gotten one august and uploaded a picture of theres in response to me. as it was like some sort of rare find or something, or a myth than no one really knew.

some bottles around august even got updated with a "recycle me" blue line at the bottom of the bottle labels, and this led to some confusion, as to look like they were redeemable and assumed to be the new updated labels instead of the logo being put on them.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭highdef

I mentioned that I brought about 15 bottles and cans of various sizes to my local reverse vending machine. None had the return logo even though some were bought after 1st Feb at a higher price than the days before so can only assume they had the extra charge applied. I gave up after about ten items as it was becoming futile. Bringing them back home was unplanned and unexpected but leaving the items there was absolutely out of the question. They were still my items until successfully entered into the vending machine and my token receipt paper slip is in my hand. Leaving them there is plain and simple littering and I'd be a massively selfish cnut if I had left them here. (Exact same applies at a glass bottle bank in terms of leaving the bottles there if the bank is full)

As the recycling bin at the house was full to the brim in the house that I part time live in, in Trim, I ended up bringing them to my own house in Longford where I crushed up all the items and put them in my own recycling bin there. Yes, it was an inconvenience but no, I won't leave my litter to be someone else's problem because I'm not a horrible littering ba$tard like that.

Your personal belief of what littering is just that, your personal belief. It's similar to someone who drives over the speed limit because it's his/her belief that the speed limit is too low.........regardless of his/her belief, the person is still speeding.

Littering:

Wikipedia: "Litter consists of waste products that have been discarded incorrectly, without consent, at an unsuitable location. "

Britannica Dictionary: "things that have been thrown away and that are lying on the ground in a public place"

Cambridge Dictionary: "the act of dropping rubbish on the ground in public places"

It's already been mentioned about what constitutes a private and a public place but to keep things as simple as possible for everyone, if a place is open to the public, consider it a public place. If it's not open to the public......an office, your home, a prison, etc, it's a private place.

Not 100% of a prison being a private place but I can only assume you have to be invited and granted permission to enter a prison.

thanks for your response, the key word used there in the definition you posted. is "consent", if the store consents to people leaving bags of can there then its consenting and not littering. i've seen people instructed by the store to leave their bags there, consent via being instructed by staff.

not sure if it was in the post you just replied to, or another post in this thread. but i did mentioned about seeing some staff telling people to keep their bag near the machine and not to worry about it. or something. please reffer to other post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭bren2001

What further inconvenience? Throw them back in the car and throw empty the bag directly in the green bin. The level of effort is incredibly small.

You may believe its not littering. However, it is. Nor are things in an orderly manner, they're spilling onto the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭highdef

That's fair enough if the staff working at the shop explicitly instruct members of the public to leave bottles/cans near the vending machine in a situation where the vending machine is not operating as intended but only in that scenario, plus they are individual cases. I'd be confident that a large proportion of shops do not give that consent to members of the public, similarly to how most glass bottle banks have signage explicitly instructing members of the public NOT to leave bottles in places other than within the bottle banks themselves and to do otherwise is littering.

In any case, leaving bags full of bottles/cans outside of the vending machine is pointless as the individual leaving them there does not gain any monetary value from it. It's just pure laziness and selfishness as the individual should just take his/her items back to the home and dispose of them as he/she always had done, in the individuals own recycling bin.

There's a serious lack of ownership with so many people in recent years and it continues to worsen. There's too much "Well that didn't go as I had planned it but I don't want it to be my problem now so I'll just leave this here and someone else will sort it out. Sure, aren't I creating a job for someone!" type people around these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There's a serious lack of ownership by those running this scheme. The members of the public have done the responsible thing by bringing the items to the RVM. The RVM should be running, or there should be an alternative provided when it is not. Not everybody comes to the store by car eg maybe on foot or is able to bring the items back and complete their planned shopping.

That is on the supermarket. Re-turn have made it their problem by using "the stick" to direct towards bringing the items to a machine and not their own green bin.

Re-turn are the ones who created a job for themselves with this scheme. And generated revenue for the supermarkets with their 2.2c cut. It is their responsibility and they are remunerated for it.

Post edited by odyssey06 on

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Theres nothing in that photo to suggest the RVMs are not working.

The shops are under no responsibility to accept cans that are rejects by the RVM.

Its littering to leave your items there like that.

if it were me, i'd rather bring my bag home after trying atleast 1 or 2 other RVM's. But cans that are ineligible also have money/scrap value. i seen 3 bags the other day left on the ground and one spilled over, so i took them home, flattened them, and then dropped them into a scrapyard on my way to work the next day, thinking i would get a couple of cents which i was gonna donate somewhere as a joke. instead to my surprise i got €4.20! lunch was free!

its not something i would do on my day off, but if i had more free time when passing to work, i'd gladly take any giant bags of unwanted cans i see left by the RVM's. i'm doing the store a favor

• Advertisement

people need their car empty to put their shopping into.

if the shop has a problem with it, they can either put a bin, or put up a sign saying no leaving cans behind. its implied that they're taking all cans, and by leaving them there, the store is reinforcing the idea that its acceptable. if the area is clean then people are less likely to do it, if people see others have already one it, then they feels its allowed and more acceptable to add to it.

Also if a store has staff that instructs people to leave it there, its not littering by definition, its following orders lol.

When the RVM isn't working the responsibility as far as I'm concerned is on Re-turn and the supermarkets as their remunerated agents. They should provide an alternative.

As far as I'm concerned, it is not littering in that scenario if bottles are tidily left at the RVM.

Remember this scheme was supposed to reduce littering!

So yeah, leaving the items at an RVM isn't littering. Or else, wow the scheme is encouraging littering.

Nowhere does it indicate the RVM is broken. It entirely looks like someone brought containers that are not eligible for the scheme and left them there. Nor are they tidily left, they're all over the ground.

Its your rubbish and its your responsibility to dispose of it. Its littering and its madness you and anyone else argue otherwise.

My post made it clear I am talking about this scenario: When the RVM isn't working the responsibility as far as I'm concerned is on Re-turn and the supermarkets as their remunerated agents. As far as I'm concerned, it is not littering in that scenario if bottles are tidily left at the RVM.

I don't know if the RVM was working or not in that particular photo.

It's madness expecting people to schlep the stuff to an RVM, and as seems now common, the RVM out of action, expecting 100% of them to schlep the stuff back again. If I bring the appropriate items (not really "rubbish", they have a monetary value) to the designated return point the items are then the responsibility of the scheme to whom I have paid a deposit. And it is madness to expect more than that from ordinary punters.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,506 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I went shopping 🛒 and I've come home to find this thread is gone to the dark side.

What madness is it that makes people think you can dump containers in the lobby of a shop.

People doing it should be barred from the shop and prosecuted.

It's one thing to dislike the DRS scheme but spreading misinformation that it's ok to dump stuff in shops is a whole new level.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I do agree on having extra bins for cans and bottles and it is another way to recycle them if people are dumping them there.

In that scenario, it is littering.

RVMs should have bins. If they don't and you leave it there it is littering. There's no opinion, its a simple fact. The retailers do not have any obligation to accept your empties if the RVM is not functional. It is littering.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Somewhere deep in the terms of the conditions of the Return scheme or maybe Freeman DRS law, it appears to some that you are allowed to waltz up to any machine and dump all your non-eligible containers on the floor and then state it's the stores problem not theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,275 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Once all the hoarded stuff gets dumped, and all the ineligible stuff gets removed from the waste flow, then the dumped stuff will have value so it will be dog eat dog

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,506 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Toys out of pram.

Or in this case cans out of boot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,729 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The retailers have an obligation to make sure the RVM is working.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Astartes

I observed a man having a temper tantrum at a local Lidl this morning as he had 2 black bin liners full of old bottles and cans, he got very aggressive with a lady who was waiting to use the machine, she tried to explain that there needed to be a special barcode etc but he got up in her face saying he was not a thief..

I can only assume this is happening the length and breath of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

In the photo from Glenageary, only one (LHS) of the two machines has an out of order sign on it.

I wasn't talking about a specific machine, retail have an obligation to keep machines working.

In that scenario Lidl are obligated to clean up that mess, doesn't matter what series of events led to that mess being created. They are liable. Also just because a machine has power going to it, doesn't mean it is functioning, it could well be full or out of paper.

The hope would be it would be added to Lidl's recycling, which is only fair considering there are one of the few main benefactors of this scheme. People are penalised financially for not bringing their trash to one of those machines. The majority of that would already be in a bin if it wasn't for this scheme.

The alternative is it gets thrown in the car park or my some miracle if someone was actually able to find a public general dustbin in there.

There is no system in place to deal with rejects going forward. So the problem is here to stay.

This was pointed out several times to the purists but apparently it was a fantasy scenario that could not happen.

As far as I'm concerned it is not littering. I don't think of it as littering and from a social mores perspective I wouldn't be thinking any the less of someone who comes up to an RVM, finds it out of order and tidily leaves the items beside it. And I think the insults on this thread being applied to such behaviour to be ridiculous and based on short term thinking, demonstrating zero awareness of typical behaviour - why do any of that when you can have a good rant.

This was supposed to be a scheme to reduce littering, that was cited many times on this thread by posters as a reason to favour it. We were told on this thread also if would be extremely rare that machines would be out of order, that is flatly contradicted by the experiences of multiple posters on the thread.

So take a step back and start thinking of how people actually react in these situations, and if the end goal of the scheme is meeting our recycling targets then there is an onus on the scheme to come up with solutions. And their remunerated partners in the scheme getting their 2.2c cut per item.

The ordinary punter there has done what's been asked of them. The failing and responsibility lies there with the people making money out of the scheme. They have made an absolute mess of the rollout with contradictory information, so I'd be cutting the ordinary punter some slack.

But it is littering. There is no opinion about it.

that is flatly contradicted by the experiences of multiple posters on the thread.

Its week 3, are you incapable or waiting a sufficient period of time before drawing a conclusion? If you install 1800 brand new machines, there are going to be issues at the start. If the problems are still there next year, then there's a fundametal flaw with the system.

I have had zero issues with RVMs. Every shop I have visited with an RVM have had them operational. Anecdotal evidence is just that. People will log on and complain. People won't log on and say "i had no issue".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭howiya

I don't agree with leaving cans and bottles behind me but I wouldn't shop in a store where staff leave rubbish like that either. Possibly unfair, given we don't know how long those items were there.

I worked in retail many moons ago and we'd regularly clean up outside the store. Yes we shouldn't have had to but we weren't leaving customers thinking the place was a kip either.

Clearly.

The advice from that is throw your rejects in the bin.

No advice offered on how to get your deposit back, primarily because no pathway exists.

• Advertisement

If you install 1800 brand new machines, there are going to be issues at the start

On brand new machines?

Would the issues not be more acute after a prolonged period of use?

You know like every other single machine on the planet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement