Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,671 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I left mine at Tesco when the machine refused to take anything and deposits paid. Left them in a bag. As per other thread Foley's minions should be going around clearing up a mess of their making.

And that is not rubbish, it's valuable recyclable materials according to all here.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭bog master

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

it's €8.35 in total i think, the machine stopped at €6.10 and then kept spitting out the receipt fast instead of giving me the option to continue. i had to be quick with it also thats what she said.

i had imagined it would be like the coinstar machines where it would ask if you'd like to continue, or if you need more time. sadly this one was'nt. Either way it was a fun and interesting experiance. When the cans go in a little side shoot/trap door thingy at the back of the machine comes down which diverts the can in sideways to a different side of the machine.

was over 50 cans and bottles, mainly was cans. only 2 things got rejected on me, a tropicanna bottle and some other small drink thing i cant remember the name of

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭TokTik

€8.35. You’d lose that in change running for a bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭McFly85

I don’t think you need to hoard anything for too long really. I just decided to keep one of the reusable bags I have separate and keep the bottles in that and then they come to the shop with me.

There should have been some measures in place for a month or so - like having regular bins for bottles not included in the scheme beside to stop the stuff you see in that Lidl photo.

Still, I reckon in a month or 2 issues will have died down and it will become a regular process for shoppers, pretty much like the bottle bank.

• Advertisement

The shop is literally a 2 minute walk from where i live. EZ MONEY! every 2 days i can do the same again

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭TokTik

And the bottles/cans just fell into your arms? Manna from heaven??

i have something that may be useful in future to you, something i found written in the small print, and only found it on the machine itself: insert cans with top facing outwards towards you. When i used it today like 4 cans got rejected straight away, then after reading that i realized i was putting them in the wrong way and not a single one failed me afterwards. 2 bottles failed me regardless of what way i tried though

pretty much yeah, but the real answer i'm not allowed to say here as a couple of my posts are always being reported by a certain someone. All i can tell you is to maybe go back a bunch of pages in this thread and look for any posts mentioning the line of work i'm in, and what type of things i have access to. Everything's kosher here, even for del boy. I don't like to let things go to waste either. i like to do my part in recycling and helping the enviorment or something something. and not for free obviously XD

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭bren2001

I think littering is scumbag behaviour myself but each to their own.

My Tesco has a reject bin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭JDxtra

It's not an earner. It's you getting your own money back after some effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭JDxtra

My other half tried this today. Went exactly as expected I suppose.

First impressions last.

This whole thing is funked up.

for me it WAS an earner, i was'nt getting my own money back. it was all free 100% and legal 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Im sorry, but there is a reject bin in that picture, but it's stuffed full, Maybe you missed it?

My opinion is this is not littering, if it's clean dry recycling material. They(GOV/ReReturn/Lidl/ETC) set up these return facilities and scheme, if you are good enough to bring your stuff down, they they should take them one way or another and keep their own site clean and ready to accept returns and rejects.

did I say there was or wasn’t a reject bin in the photo? It’s not clear if there is or not. If it’s full, you take your rubbish home with you.

I was also responding to someone who was in a Tesco and just left them in the ground. Nothing to do with the photo…

Leaving your rubbish on the ground is littering. End of. There’s no opinion on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,504 ✭✭✭✭elperello

That is not a reject bin.

It's a small sink/sluice provided for customers to drain any remaining liquid from containers before putting them in the RVM.

It is littering to leave those items there.

It's against the law to dump either waste or recyclables on someone else's property and expect them to deal with it for you.

That type of carry on is disgraceful, nobody should be littering. But in all fairness, going by that picture the shop is clearly partially to blame for not having adequate measures for this sort of thing. And im not talking about a security guard chasing people off, i'm talking about having a proper recycling bin set up next to the machines for rejected items. its a common sense approach they seem to have overlooked. We can't really blame an annoyed person who wanted to get a bunch of redeems only to end up having them all rejected. This should have been prepared for by the store. Its not right to leave rubbish behind, but its also not right to not have bins nearby. its quite clear by this picture that bins are a necessity.

Every rejected can/bottle should have a special kind of bin so that people get 5 cents back and don't feel so ripped off or cheated by this. its already frustrating to imagine ones cans not being accepted by the machine, do you honestly think that a person in that annoyed state of mind is going to care where they put the rubbish? its not right, but the shop is asking for it. Carrying round a big bag of rejected cans/bottles that already proved to be a waste of time, and then expecting them to bring it back with them is taking the cake. Its a severe lack of planning and forsight. the shop messed up. hopefully they will learn from this mistake/experiance and have a bin nearby in future maybe? both are to blame and this scheme already innconviences people enough as it is, expecting a person to carry back their bag of cans with them after being rejected is just adding to that inconvience, and also what about if they wanted to to shopping? they're hardly gonna go around the supermarket with a bag of useless rejected cans in their trolley

i'd say both parties are to blame, especially when the shop is clearly asking for it by not having a place for rejected items nearby. severe lack of foresight and planning, hopefully next time they'll learn from this experiance and have a bin or some sort of thing there for people to put their rejected items into. otherwise they can expect this sort of thing happening.

i don't condone what they're doing, but then again i'm not surprised with it either and its to be expected with schemes like this. would'nt you agree that it is already becoming quite the inconvenience?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭SteM

Typical of Ireland. Look at beaches and parks after sunny days. The bins get full so people just dump their rubbish instead of bringing it home. We've become a self absorbed, entitled country I'm afraid. Someone else will pick it up.

if there's money to be made from it, i'll happily pick it up

• Advertisement

The shop should have a bin alright. Nobody should ever leave dump their empties on the ground tho.

“Already becoming quite the inconvenience” - it’s probably at the most inconvenient it ever will be. Wait until the old stock filters through, only then will there be an accurate picture of how convenient or inconvenient the system will be for 99.999% of its life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Are the machines (when working correctly and not full or out of receipt paper) only accepting bottles and cans that have the return logo on them? I see a lot of stock in-store without the logo, but, I'm assuming the extra charge (deposit) is being charged at the till for them also?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Doesnt have to have return logo if barcode is on the system. You can check barcode on the Return website.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,504 ✭✭✭✭elperello

No, they can be accepted if the barcode is listed in the checker on the Re-turn website.

Currently you could see three different types of stock on shelves.

1 Logo and barcode deposit charged

2 Barcode listed as above deposit charged

3 Old stock no relevant barcode or logo no deposit charged.

You'd need your wits about you 🙂

I take it you were joking about checking barcodes on their website? I don't see that option there, but I do see plenty of mention that the items must contain the return logo.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The joke is on us alas :(

If you scroll down to this page the barcode checker is there:

Unofficial one here:

https://re-turn.shanehastings.ie/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I really can't see too many people sitting at home typing in barcode numbers to see if their items are returnable

The Unofficial one has a camera option at least.

I have not used the system yet and was genuinely trying to avoid bringing bottles that are not on the system back to a machine simply to have them rejected.

I read in the retailers' section that they must have the deposit charge displayed on the sales receipt as a separate charge, is that happening?

I purchased two 2Litre bottles of a cola brand today in one of the larger retailers, neither had the return logo on them, and there was no separate deposit charge on the receipt, I just popped the barcode numbers into that checker and it returned the following result "Not in Re-turn Scheme" it then gave me the option to give all the details of the product including uploading photos of the bottle and the barcode, seriously!

I can only assume I wasn't charged a deposit and therefore they are not returnable under the scheme, which leaves the green bin as the only option.

I'm sure there will be people bringing bottles back like mine to find they are rejected, they probably won't be bringing them home again either?

The manual barcode checking is temporary until the old stock flushes through the system. Then all stock will have the logo.

Certainly annoying for now but it is only temporary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,729 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The Unofficial one has a camera option at least.

Wow, it was a user on here that did that.

Maybe they should hire them.

Although they may not fit the criteria which seems to be inept and apathy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement