Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

Our local RVM is bollixed already. The shop in question aren’t taking manual returns and said to wait till machine is fixed . They were told it could be a couple of weeks before someone is available to fix it as a lot of machines are on the blink because of “ user error “ that’s the words they used ..

• Registered Users Posts: 39,729 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Presumably the shops also sourced a maintenance contract on these machines.

The shops sourced their own RVMs, be interesting to know what level of service is available nationwide if any.

They are quite mechanical so I imagine breakdowns wouldn't be all that rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭highdef

Yeah, mine didn't work so I took all 15 bottles and cans of various sizes back with me, then at home I crushed them up and put them in my recycling bin, like I always have done.

Leaving my own rubbish for someone else to deal with would never have been a thought in my head as I don't litter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Great to see you have changed your tune on this scheme. 😀

When Lidl were running the trial in their Glenageary store, the apperatue that is jammed with bottles led to a massive bin. The other opening was not sealed off either. Maybe they changed it, and if so, not great thinking. People shold be bringing the bottles empty and as clean as they can be. That's always been the guidance on all items for recycling bins

As others have said, leaving bottles on the floor is littering. Two of the bottles jamming the opening would never be in scope are not even PET. I guess some people are just used to their mammies cleaning up for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It's not rubbish. They are being left with RVM items for proper segregated processing. Putting them in the green bin isn't good enough anymore, didn't you get the memo?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭bren2001

If you go to a glass bank and the bank is full and you leave your glass on the ground, you've left rubbish on the ground. You've littered. Its no different in the image above.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

If you go to a WEE recycling point and you leave your rubbish beside the crate, you're not littering and I've seen people do it in Power City etc. You're returning the items for proper segregated processing.

It's the responsibility of the shop to have their RVMs working. That's what they are getting their slice of the money for. That makes it their responsibility.

The cans and bottles aren't a danger to anyone, they aren't being degraded by being left where they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭baldbear

Why couldn't they just leave it that you use your green bin in the gaff. Instead of loading up the car to drive to a broken machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Lidl. Reported to the staff. In fairness, they checked it but were not sure what it meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,509 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I'm not familiar with Glenageary but in our local Lidl it's a tiny sink about the size you see in an aircraft toilet. An instruction sign says it's for emptying liquids. You can see the stainless steel surround in the pic.

The problem for stores providing bins to put rejects in is that they are left with a new stream of waste that they are not set up to deal with and will cost them money to get rid off.

Having loose items on the ground is a hazard. In the photo, this area is a through way to the escalator, it should be clear so people can pass by unhindered.

It's not clear the machine was out of order. The items on the ground and in the bags may be non-deposit items and should have been disposed of at home.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

One appears to be working. The sacks look like someone bringing in bottles they've been keeping since they first heard of this and then realising they won't get anything for many or any of them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

i have'nt changed any tune at all, i still think the scheme is a scam and a joke. My views on it are still the same since day 1 here. i take it you have'nt read much of what was said between pages 30 and 60? if so, you missed alot of interesting reads.

a person making use of the scheme does'nt necessarily mean they agree with it or changed their tune. it just means they don't wish to throw away money. its lesser of 2 evils and being caught between a rock and a hard place. re-turn has done a terrible job with the scheme, and there's so many people posting here daily expressing simular concerns and frustrations with the scheme so i'm not alone in this.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

yeah but will the barcodes be changed also? or just simply have only a logo added near them?

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

If you go to a WEEE recycling point and the crate is full, the staff will tell you its ok to put your item beside the crate. If you go to an RVM and its full, the staff will never tell you its ok to throw your containers on the ground. Whether they are in a bag or not. Its littering. Theres no other way to describe what is in that photo and I'm stunned anyone would try to defend that persons (or those peoples) actions.

Further, theres no indication in the RVM that it's full. They look like rejected items which should be disposed of via other methods.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,275 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

The extra bin will only attract all sorts of everything, such as used nappies, and not all in a nappie bag.

Here in Nenagh I regularly see folk stuffing the council street bins with domestic waste, or else just leaving bags of rubbish beside the street bins.

Was in Navan recently for two weeks, even worse

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

they really should have prepared for this, partially i'd say they are to blame. lack of foresight and bad management. but really its just extra work thats being given to the store due to having this RVM scheme forced on them. added responcibilties and inconveince caused by the scheme in general. return inconviencing both consumers and stores it seems

Sure they could just stuff a nappie bag in the RVM slot then, if a nappie is the kryptonite of all bins.

I just don't think it is reasonable to say, bring the items to an RVM. RVM out of order. And shove all the inconvenience onto the ordinary punter, while rewarding the supermarkets with a revenue generating RVM.

It's an inconvenience for the shop? But not an inconvenience for someone who has tried to do the right thing by bringing items to the RVM? But now is expected to take back the bottles, maybe ones carried on foot?

If the people did the right thing by bringing the items to an RVM. They are then the responsibility of Re-turn and their remunerated agents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Repo101

Two points on this system, I would assume that part of the reason for it is that some of our recycling ends up in landfill in circumstances when the recycling depots are full but then again why not extend it to cardboard and other recycling materials if that was a driver in this decision. Secondly, the only change I see is that people who would ordinarily recycle in their green bin at home will probably use the scheme to recoup their deposit but those who dump recycling materials will continue to be lazy and a similar amount of recyclable bottles and cans will end up in landfill. Similarly, I assume the scheme is to incentivise people who would ordinarily purchase a can or bottle while out in a city or town to use the scheme as opposed to putting it in a waste bin.

It's hard to see a major increase in recycling as a result of this scheme. Another great idea in a utopia but won't result in any material difference in the amount of bottles and cans ending up in landfills.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

So, I tried my 4 cans of beer I bought in SUperValu in the machine at Lidl. Even though they didn't have the official barcodes I was about to get my 60c voucher and redeem in the store.

So, do I need to ensure that the cans are not crumpled or distorted in anyway for the machine to be able to read them properly? It's quite difficult to keep empty cans intact. And then, what happens if the machine decides it doesn't want a can? Are we to just suck it up and accept the 15c loss?

i seen someone being told by staff that its okay to leave the bag of cans and bottles near the machine aslong as its left standing up, and not spilling out onto the floor. and aslong as its not in the way of anyone passing to go into the store. although it was'nt the same lidls in the the picture that said this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭highdef

Totally agree and sure that's plain obvious that it's littering. It always pisses me off at bottle banks when someone has littered by leaving bottles in plastic bags, or sometimes just left on the ground, just because the bottle bank is full at that visit. Exact same goes for people littering by leaving plastic containers and aluminium cans on the ground near a reverse vending machine.

Bring the stuff back with you and try again another time when you can hopefully successfully carry out the steps required for an individual to partake in the recycling process.

Those who leave the stuff behind are selfish littering pricks, there's no arguing with that.

My thought too. Ironically, they would have got 10c for each undamaged can and bottle prior to Feb 1 at this same store. I availed if it frequently.

"If the people did the right thing by bringing the items to an RVM. They are then the responsibility of Re-turn and their remunerated agents"

if bin companys and the government did the right thing to begin with, with our recycleables, we would'nt be in this mess of a situation. Lets all not forget the real reason behind the creation of this re-turn scheme (asides from money and footing the bill on the public as per usual) and that reason is bin companies giving the illusion of recycling and not properly disposing of the recycleables and not even recycling them. The management of recycling was their responcibility, they choose to dispose of it in a non-responcible manner and just pass it on for a quick profit, or burn it, or put it in a landfil. But we get punished for this instead with being lumbered with this scheme, as ireland had no good stats when confronted by EU over this. For being one of the most richest counteries in all of europe, and expensive, one would think we'd have a much better recycling rate or some sort of system in place prior to all this.

Whether they are in a bag or not. Its littering. Theres no other way to describe what is in that photo and I'm stunned anyone would try to defend that persons (or those peoples) actions.

Littering would be more defined as a public place, Lidl is private place which is open to the public with conditions.

Either way it is up to Lidl to make sure their premise is litter free regardless of how the litter got here. They clearly haven't. So any safety concern is entirely on them.

But this was another problem the purists on here were warned about but refused to accept.

A large portion of people will not spend their time carting rubbish around with them.

Even Lemmings must have a point where they go fúck this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭jj880

Here's a quick intro for you:

If you wash out your containers, store them in your home, keep them from getting damaged and the RVM doesn't accept them not to worry. Keep driving round until you find more machines that might take them, go into a shop to rear up with your bar code checker (they might refund you) or drive round some more looking for RVMs that might have a reject slot that might not be overflowing. Keep at it until your head is so melted you can't be bothered anymore, go home, crush everything and put it in your recycle bin and pipe down. Whatever you do dont be leaving anything at the RVMs littering like a scumbag you scumbag! Congrats you're paying for both deposits and your recycle wheelie bin.

You're now all up to speed on using Re-Turn. Its definitely not a quango. Good man yourself. I bet you feel better now after doing your bit for future generations 👍

I agree they should have a bin there. If you want to argue contributory negligence as a mitigating factor, sure. It still doesn't excuse leaving your rubbish there. There are people arguing it isn't littering when it clearly is.

• Advertisement

Are we to just suck it up and accept the 15c loss?

Yes, but you are to bring it back home with you and put it in your bin that has gone up in price because of this scheme.

The idea that the can or bottle sees anything but landfill or incineration is slim.

Basically shut up and put up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement