Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying in Maryborough portlaoise ISSUES

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Bornatnite

Howdy neighbours - buying in Lions Gate too and surveyed the house for the Snag report last week! Very excited and so far it's been a long road. We went sale agreed it's been nearly 18 months, but as previously mentioned the snags generally last 3/4 weeks. Our house have very cosmetic things to fix really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ah625

Thanks a million, really appreicated!

That's too helpful for us to take a decision. Really hope everything get sorted sooner and you get keys at the earliest 🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Cormac_06

No problem, you should have the information given to you to make a decision on it =)

Everyone in the group has always said the house is worth the wait and once you get the keys all of the waiting anxiety just fades away. So if you are comfortable to wait then super, but the worst thing would be a fixed date you need the house to be ready by and for it to drift past 6 months and you are left in hardship.

Best of Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gabohild

Hi everyone,

We will be moving to Portlaoise at the end of this year and looking to buy a house in a friendly and safe neighbourhood (we have two kids). We have seen the ads for houses in Maryborough Village on www.daft.ie. It appears that a few are still available for sale. However, we do not really know Portlaoise, and I was wondering if you could provide me with information on the area. Since we have 2 kids (aged 11 and 16 ), safety and good schools are high priorities for us. I appreciate any information in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 A2533

Hey guys,

Is there a Facebook group for Maryborough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 ah625

Hello, was anyone able to negotiate with the EA/developer to either change the wardrobes specs or execlude it completely. TBH, I feel it is not that practical and we might need to get other kind of wordrobes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Gerard081

@gabohild Hi, I have lived in Portlaoise for 7 years now and can recommend it is certainly worth a town exploring for your future and family. I have 2 kids myself, 3 and 5 and we live in a similar area to Maryborogh. It’s on the side of town called the Mountrath road, would be walking distance to town I suspect, 15 minutes. There is a primary school, secondary school and entry level college on this road, the area is known as Knockmay for the schools. Again, 10 minute walk to schools. There is a centra another 5 minutes in the next direction from Maryborough.

There is plenty of new builds around Portlaoise and most of them are on decent sides of the town with access to schools etc. Hume has the contract for the most of them so my advice would be to contact that agent and ask him to view all the new builds while you come up for trip. I find Portlaoise to a nice town to raise children and the people here are also decent to deal with.

Hume has new builds for

Maryborough

Rockview (google http://millerscrest .com for brochure

Foxborrow

Mount Stewart

Ash wood walk

lots of investment in Portlaoise over recent years, be considered central for business. Thriving town for sure and one of Irelands fastest growing towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 najra

Hey Guys, Can you tell me how long it took till your solicitor got contact from developer's solicitor?

Post edited by najra on

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mary2808

Hi guys, I bought a house in the area aswell after some one cancelled and they told me the completion date will be December and I only have 3 month left before my loan offer expires, do you guys think the house will be done by then

Hi Mary,

What part are you buying in?

• Advertisement

Russborough, Maryborough Village

Russborough is just the floor plan for the 3 bed, is it in the forge, park lane etc

My bad, It’s Castle garden

Hi Mary, given the timeline of other phases it looks to be around 4-5months inbetween and we haven't all moved in to Lions Gate yet. There is around five houses left to get keys but that should be within the new 2/3 weeks.

If they keep to the same timeline as the last few phases then the next phase will be handing over keys in March, however work over the winter is always a bit slower, and I'm not sure what the next phase is called so it may not be your one.

Feel like I'm always be bringer of bad news 😅 but what most of us have seen is that Hume will say basically anything to get you to sign.

I signed my contract in like Feb/March and was told we would have keys June 1st, but it's now October 22nd and we are still a few weeks away yet

@Cormac_06 how long it took since sale agreed to signing contracts for you?

We were told by Hume that Park Lane will be ready summer/autumn 2024 but I think it will be more like winter.

We paid the booking deposit in December 2022 and signed contracts in Feb 2023 I believe so they do turn around the contracts very quickly. Our solicitor went back and forth a few times so taking Christmas's out of the equation you were looking at around 6 weeks.

I'm not sure if it's the developer or Hume but one of them (possibly both) consistently lie about the time lines. Every time we contacted them the deadline had moved out by a month. I think they tell you what you want to hear to get the contract signed, then you are stuck unless you are happy to lose your booking deposit. After that information is not exchanged unless you chase constantly

• Registered Users Posts: 25 newtoportlaoise

Agreed with cormac here , the whole situation is awful, they both are full of lies and make the process extremely hard, we were 25 months from giving Deposit to keys been handed over , from what I’ve seen over the last few years that if they give u a estimated date , add at least a year to that . Unfortunately I don’t see castle garden been complete till at least next summer ,

the forge isn’t gonna be done this side of Christmas,

lions gate has been sat there complete the past 3-4 months . The problem is there is ONE guy doing every snag in each house and .

i don’t see park lane been complete till early 2025 if im completely honest .

but all i will say that once u get in the houses are worth it .

I knew we will wait longer than they said as I read this tread before we gone sale agreed. The only down side is the fact that we will have to extend mortgage offer probably more than once...

We are also in the same position with our mortgage offer , when I called humes they they told me the house was already complete but road work needs to be cleared, As of now I’m unsure if humes was telling the truth, I guessed it would take longer than Christmas to be fully completed but did not expect til summer.

I'm waiting on a house in The Forge.

6 houses in that area, and they're ahead of Castle Gardens, which is ahead of Park lane; from what I can see.

EA told me that the foreman is looking to close the forge out prior to Christmas and are currently painting them.

But, Lions Gate still aren't complete with snagging and there are only approx. 8 weeks left in the year so no way will it be done judging by Lions Gate timelines.

I think everyone can agree, we'd much prefer to hear the worst case scenario date from them from the get go rather than giving loads of incorrect timings. Very odd.

If they were honest they'd hear less from us looking for updates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 newtoportlaoise

It’s a shambles ! They will never give a solid date because legally they have to have the house ready 21days after that date so they will just give estimates! Just for instance :Last year we were told ours was been painted in october/november . And will be ready to close by December, we got the keys the first week in April ! They will never ever be on time , there is literally about 10 guys working on the site most days and from previous experience they are extremely lazy lol

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Eireplane

It's the same in other estates, just read about Ard Branagh on here too. It's the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Eireplane

I'm in the exact same scenario for Ard Branagh Portlaoise.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Muthanna11

Very helpful folks. Anyone buying in Millers Crest, Rockview? I have created a separate discussion thread. Will be great to get some thoughts. I went sale agreed end of October but haven’t signed contracts yet! Is it a norm for this delay? I thought usually contracts will be signed within 21 days! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DoctorRV

So !! Did any one get their keys and move in for Christmas in their new house!?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Yan2

@DoctorRV Everyone got their keys in Lions Gate and have moved in. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 29 valarmorghulis

Hi,

I was considering buying one of the 4 bed detached ,I would be commuting 2 days a week to Dublin,any advice about these houses, Maryborough Village and Portloaise in general would be greatly appreciated. I'm from the west with no connections at all to the the area but seems to be the most affordable new builds in the country and lots of transport links to Dublin, much appreciated

https://www.daft.ie/new-home-for-sale/detached-house-the-glenveagh-maryborough-village-maryborough-village-portlaoise-co-laois/4526110

The emoji seems to tell me this was a joke ? Or is this true ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jaava

Hi All,

Any one got further update about park lane? I sent a mail to agent , they said it will be ready by 1st quarter or 2nd quarter 2024

• Advertisement

I had mailed them recently for an update on Park lane. This is what I got.

”Estimated completion is second half 2024 !” From EA

“Inside plastering almost completeFrom Foreman

You should certainly consider it as I am practically expecting the same commute for hybrid working in future. I have tried train commute to and from and seems pretty convenient to me. More so because of hybrid arrangement 2 days/three days as well but prob 5 days would be a bit too much after a point. At the moment I am completely wfh but expect that to change and I think it should be manageable.

As for the availability of any units, I am doubtful if there would be any but most likely if someone cancels you may have one but the biggest dilemma with this development is the uncertainity around when the development gets completed. The EA keep on giving vague timelines all the time as you can gather from the historical posts in this thread above.

That's replay I've received today about Park Lane:

"Please see a reply from Joe as follows:

Interior plaster work almost complete 

Next up fitting heat pump"

• Registered Users Posts: 2 maisamladha

…..

• Registered Users Posts: 17 KJ2023

Hi!

does any one have any more updates on park lane? I was there a few days ago it’s starting to slowly come together!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭divide_by_zero

Spoke with the estate agent on Monday about Park Lane and as somebody else has already said in this thread, they are looking to complete in the second half of the year. I pushed for a month work would be completed and she couldn't tell me.

• Advertisement

Went around to take a look yesterday but since it is blocked off you can’t see much except for the roads coming together. Pretty sure there are works getting completed inside too. Also saw 2/3 houses in Castle Garden appeared to be handed over. Was susprised to see the proposed Baronscourt Medical centre being erected pretty quick near the Creche since there was nothing there when I last visited ! Its always good to see progress. Hopefully we will be in come summer 🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭helper1989

Hello Everyone. At the time of contract signing, did anyone else also go through a situation where certain clauses were amended which were against the standard terms? I.e. clause related to completion period.

looking forward to getting a response

Folks, any one here moving into Park Lane and if they have any recent updates?

last I heard, they were saying early Q2 but not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 KJ2023

Hi I’m moving into park lane and honestly I have no idea when we’ll be moving in! last I heard from Hume was second quarter of this year so I presume between April- June , I emailed Hume last week looking for a update and they said the houses were just being plumbed , Hume are very difficult to communicate with (super rude in my opinion) last time I visited was 2-3 weeks ago and It looks like it’s starting to come together a bit so fingers crossed for April 🤞🏼

I'm buying in Park Lane and was recently told by Humes that it would be the second half of the year with nothing more concrete than that. I asked could they give me a month and all they said was second half of this year before Christmas they were telling me the end of Q2, so I don't know what to believe at this stage.

• Advertisement

I visited pre Christmas and the area outside the houses was all dug up. The inside of the houses had been plastered and painted though

Post edited by helper1989 on

Hello Everyone! Hope everyone is doing well. If anyone has been on the construction site recently, would be great if you could share photos if you have any.

thank you and all the best for the week ahead!

Hello,

Got a few pics for you guys waiting for park lane. Hope it helps. I know the feeling of waiting for a long time and just unsure of when it will end...

Yesterday there was a big pile of soil in the middle. And today as you can see they are just removing it to flatten the area. I guess they will start with making the road.

Thanks @Yan2 appreciate you sharing these.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 lch2023

Hi everyone,

Thank you for sharing your updates, they have been very helpful. I am also purchasing in Park Lane.

My question is for anyone who moved into a previous phase if you wouldn’t mind sharing. How much notice did they give you when the house was finally ready? I.e. did they contact you a few weeks in advance and give you the date? In my experience the developer will not provide updates unless I reach out to them, which is getting tedious, and we only ever seem to receive vague answers like “Spring” or “Q2”. I have even been in situations where the timeframe they had last given me had passed and they still don’t reach out!

I have been reluctant to order large items for the house, book holidays etc since I really have no idea when it could be ready, now I am wondering if they will even give much notice when it is.

Based from our experience they will really not reach out unless you do. Also they will not really give much notice. When our house was ready for snag they sent an email saying we need to book for snagging anytime after a specific date with specific time frames as well. EA said it doesn't mean we needed to have snagging done immediately after said date. however, i do remember a clause in contract saying that if we don't submit snag report within a week we forfeit rights to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 lch2023

Good to know, thank you!

I think a lot was dependent on getting the pile of soil removed. If that has been cleared, we should hope that things will progress now

Good morning everyone,

hope everyone had a restful weekend.

appreciate if anyone can share any further updates that you may have regarding park lane.

Thank you

I went up to have a look yesterday to see what was happening. They have a large amount of the soil gone, which is a good thing. The pics below are the back of the houses that can be seen on the left of Yan2's pics, still a bit of work to be done there, but I can't imagine that would take long to do.

• Advertisement
Advertisement