Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying in Maryborough portlaoise ISSUES

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Bornatnite

Howdy neighbours - buying in Lions Gate too and surveyed the house for the Snag report last week! Very excited and so far it's been a long road. We went sale agreed it's been nearly 18 months, but as previously mentioned the snags generally last 3/4 weeks. Our house have very cosmetic things to fix really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ah625

Thanks a million, really appreicated!

That's too helpful for us to take a decision. Really hope everything get sorted sooner and you get keys at the earliest 🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Cormac_06

No problem, you should have the information given to you to make a decision on it =)

Everyone in the group has always said the house is worth the wait and once you get the keys all of the waiting anxiety just fades away. So if you are comfortable to wait then super, but the worst thing would be a fixed date you need the house to be ready by and for it to drift past 6 months and you are left in hardship.

Best of Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gabohild

Hi everyone,

We will be moving to Portlaoise at the end of this year and looking to buy a house in a friendly and safe neighbourhood (we have two kids). We have seen the ads for houses in Maryborough Village on www.daft.ie. It appears that a few are still available for sale. However, we do not really know Portlaoise, and I was wondering if you could provide me with information on the area. Since we have 2 kids (aged 11 and 16 ), safety and good schools are high priorities for us. I appreciate any information in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 A2533

Hey guys,

Is there a Facebook group for Maryborough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 ah625

Hello, was anyone able to negotiate with the EA/developer to either change the wardrobes specs or execlude it completely. TBH, I feel it is not that practical and we might need to get other kind of wordrobes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Gerard081

@gabohild Hi, I have lived in Portlaoise for 7 years now and can recommend it is certainly worth a town exploring for your future and family. I have 2 kids myself, 3 and 5 and we live in a similar area to Maryborogh. It’s on the side of town called the Mountrath road, would be walking distance to town I suspect, 15 minutes. There is a primary school, secondary school and entry level college on this road, the area is known as Knockmay for the schools. Again, 10 minute walk to schools. There is a centra another 5 minutes in the next direction from Maryborough.

There is plenty of new builds around Portlaoise and most of them are on decent sides of the town with access to schools etc. Hume has the contract for the most of them so my advice would be to contact that agent and ask him to view all the new builds while you come up for trip. I find Portlaoise to a nice town to raise children and the people here are also decent to deal with.

Hume has new builds for

Maryborough

Rockview (google http://millerscrest .com for brochure

Foxborrow

Mount Stewart

Ash wood walk

lots of investment in Portlaoise over recent years, be considered central for business. Thriving town for sure and one of Irelands fastest growing towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 najra

Hey Guys, Can you tell me how long it took till your solicitor got contact from developer's solicitor?

Post edited by najra on

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mary2808

Hi guys, I bought a house in the area aswell after some one cancelled and they told me the completion date will be December and I only have 3 month left before my loan offer expires, do you guys think the house will be done by then

Hi Mary,

What part are you buying in?

• Advertisement

Russborough, Maryborough Village

Russborough is just the floor plan for the 3 bed, is it in the forge, park lane etc

My bad, It’s Castle garden

Hi Mary, given the timeline of other phases it looks to be around 4-5months inbetween and we haven't all moved in to Lions Gate yet. There is around five houses left to get keys but that should be within the new 2/3 weeks.

If they keep to the same timeline as the last few phases then the next phase will be handing over keys in March, however work over the winter is always a bit slower, and I'm not sure what the next phase is called so it may not be your one.

Feel like I'm always be bringer of bad news 😅 but what most of us have seen is that Hume will say basically anything to get you to sign.

I signed my contract in like Feb/March and was told we would have keys June 1st, but it's now October 22nd and we are still a few weeks away yet

@Cormac_06 how long it took since sale agreed to signing contracts for you?

We were told by Hume that Park Lane will be ready summer/autumn 2024 but I think it will be more like winter.

We paid the booking deposit in December 2022 and signed contracts in Feb 2023 I believe so they do turn around the contracts very quickly. Our solicitor went back and forth a few times so taking Christmas's out of the equation you were looking at around 6 weeks.

I'm not sure if it's the developer or Hume but one of them (possibly both) consistently lie about the time lines. Every time we contacted them the deadline had moved out by a month. I think they tell you what you want to hear to get the contract signed, then you are stuck unless you are happy to lose your booking deposit. After that information is not exchanged unless you chase constantly

• Registered Users Posts: 25 newtoportlaoise

Agreed with cormac here , the whole situation is awful, they both are full of lies and make the process extremely hard, we were 25 months from giving Deposit to keys been handed over , from what I’ve seen over the last few years that if they give u a estimated date , add at least a year to that . Unfortunately I don’t see castle garden been complete till at least next summer ,

the forge isn’t gonna be done this side of Christmas,

lions gate has been sat there complete the past 3-4 months . The problem is there is ONE guy doing every snag in each house and .

i don’t see park lane been complete till early 2025 if im completely honest .

but all i will say that once u get in the houses are worth it .

I knew we will wait longer than they said as I read this tread before we gone sale agreed. The only down side is the fact that we will have to extend mortgage offer probably more than once...

We are also in the same position with our mortgage offer , when I called humes they they told me the house was already complete but road work needs to be cleared, As of now I’m unsure if humes was telling the truth, I guessed it would take longer than Christmas to be fully completed but did not expect til summer.

I'm waiting on a house in The Forge.

6 houses in that area, and they're ahead of Castle Gardens, which is ahead of Park lane; from what I can see.

EA told me that the foreman is looking to close the forge out prior to Christmas and are currently painting them.

But, Lions Gate still aren't complete with snagging and there are only approx. 8 weeks left in the year so no way will it be done judging by Lions Gate timelines.

I think everyone can agree, we'd much prefer to hear the worst case scenario date from them from the get go rather than giving loads of incorrect timings. Very odd.

If they were honest they'd hear less from us looking for updates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 newtoportlaoise

It’s a shambles ! They will never give a solid date because legally they have to have the house ready 21days after that date so they will just give estimates! Just for instance :Last year we were told ours was been painted in october/november . And will be ready to close by December, we got the keys the first week in April ! They will never ever be on time , there is literally about 10 guys working on the site most days and from previous experience they are extremely lazy lol

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Eireplane

It's the same in other estates, just read about Ard Branagh on here too. It's the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Eireplane

I'm in the exact same scenario for Ard Branagh Portlaoise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Muthanna11

Very helpful folks. Anyone buying in Millers Crest, Rockview? I have created a separate discussion thread. Will be great to get some thoughts. I went sale agreed end of October but haven’t signed contracts yet! Is it a norm for this delay? I thought usually contracts will be signed within 21 days! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 DoctorRV

So !! Did any one get their keys and move in for Christmas in their new house!?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Yan2

@DoctorRV Everyone got their keys in Lions Gate and have moved in. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 29 valarmorghulis

Hi,

I was considering buying one of the 4 bed detached ,I would be commuting 2 days a week to Dublin,any advice about these houses, Maryborough Village and Portloaise in general would be greatly appreciated. I'm from the west with no connections at all to the the area but seems to be the most affordable new builds in the country and lots of transport links to Dublin, much appreciated

https://www.daft.ie/new-home-for-sale/detached-house-the-glenveagh-maryborough-village-maryborough-village-portlaoise-co-laois/4526110

The emoji seems to tell me this was a joke ? Or is this true ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jaava

Hi All,

Any one got further update about park lane? I sent a mail to agent , they said it will be ready by 1st quarter or 2nd quarter 2024

• Advertisement

I had mailed them recently for an update on Park lane. This is what I got.

”Estimated completion is second half 2024 !” From EA

“Inside plastering almost completeFrom Foreman

Advertisement