Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dutch Freedom Party wins general election. *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

We saw how serious the far right are about "law and order" tonight in Dublin.

This is the transparent, stinking bullshit that the far right spews out. The self styled "law and order" brigade are the biggest threat to law and order.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭applehunter

Disagree.

Immigration has been made into a taboo subject in public discourse while our government are allowing the changing of demographics of our country on their watch.

This was another release valve.

About time they woke up.

Bullshit. What the far right is slapping people on the face, yet still people refuse to take notice. And thus the west is doomed, not by immigration, but by the internal cancer which continues to metastasize.

The Dutch now have a massive Geert Wilders shaped tumour eating away at them - but we in Ireland are in no position to throw stones after what happened this evening.

It’s not about scenes like this evening in Dublin or the awful scenes earlier outside the school.

People don’t want to feel like strangers in their own country.

it is that simple. People want to know and trust their neighbour. That can’t happen in a multicultural society. It’s not about money .

"People can't know or trust their neighbour in a multicultural society."

FFS.

That's a statement that a person should judged by the colour of their skin, rather than the content of their character.

Despicable.

No neighbour should know or trust you, that's for sure.

• Advertisement

That’s not what I said.

Keep up your anti Catholic & anti Irish rhetoric posts on here, it’s a free for all, but as you carefully noted don’t call out the Jews.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Wow, those are fantastic policies, if only our idiot parties would add some of those to their manifestos, they'd 100% get my vote, instead we have to deal with parties following clown world woke agendas and enforcing main stream media to propagate the same clown world ideologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭malinheader

What control measures are we implementing. And saying reasonably well tells me that you probably know that we have literally no control measures.

Here lyes the problem as much for the genuine hard working immigrants as for the country itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

So you just vote for the same politicians you always did who caused the issues in the first place?

Until mainstream political parties actually try and fix things people have legitimate concerns about they can't justifiably whine and complain when people vote for more fringe political parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I'd say a hell of a lot more people don't feel at home in Ireland based on the rioting yesterday. That includes both the Irish and non Irish. I have neighbours from loads of backgrounds, many who aren't Irish. While I don't know all of them particularly well, I have plenty of confidence in their general decency.

Also was raised about a mile away from one of the first generation Direct Provision centers, it's been trouble free for about two decades. Conditions might be terrible but the people themselves have caused no issues.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,750 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Nope. If it were taboo, the far right wouldn't be able to talk about it. Instead, they never shut up about it and the taboo is on people making a positive case for immigration. Any time someone says something positive about diversity or immigration, the angry men here erupt into histrionics with the same old tropes again and again.

All the far right care about is grifting and racism. We got a pretty good look here in London at Remembrance weekend.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭StudentDad

Like I said this lurch to fringe parties is based in fear. Europe has been here before, 'vote for me and I'll solve all your problems.' Hitler said that, Mussolini said that. Electing people who are just going to burn the place down isn't the answer. As someone said, 'it can always get worse.'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭elefant

What changes in demographics do you mean, and where? Genuinely curious. I've lived here for pretty much that same time period, and haven't noticed anything that really jumps out at me.

For what it's worth - I would put a very large part of the PVV's great result down to just how unbelievably busy the Netherlands has become in recent years. The housing crisis is out of control, public transport is bursting at the seams since COVID, you can hardly get in the door of a cafe or restaurant in the big cities without a reservation, the airports were a disaster last year etc. etc. It feels like you're paying more for worse quality everywhere, and people are unhappy about it.

There's a big section of the Dutch population that are very sour about immigration at large, not just immigration from certain places. The political parties' recent popular suggestions along the lines of taking tax breaks away from highly skilled migrants, and reducing the number of English-language courses at universities, are symptomatic of a feeling that it's often the 'right kind' of immigrant (ex-pats as they'd often refer to themselves) who are the cause of many major issues in the country. This has bolstered the PVV numbers with people who don't particularly align with Wilders' hardcore Islamophobia.

The extent of his racism has made him a pariah for a lot of voters for a long time, but I think people have reached the end of their tether, and see PVV as a possibility that at least something may change in the direction they want.

Post edited by elefant on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

If anything seeing the negative influence Catholic preaching has had on the world means we in Ireland are perfectly placed to criticize preaching of religion and the negative influence it has had on Ireland and the world.

The problem is the people dumb enough to buy into religion these days want their religious beliefs reflected in laws and how people act in society and some politicians kow-tow to them.Religion is about as sensible a belief system as believing the earth is flat yet we are allowed to mock and laugh at flat earthers and point out they're idiots, you do the same with religion (well certain religions mainly , you can laugh at christians all you like and never get in trouble for it) you get accused of being prejudiced/racist. We had blasphemy laws introduced in this country recently when in reality making fun of someones religion should be as normal as making fun of any other beliefs they hold but of course religion tends to be given special treatment.

Post edited by Jack Daw on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,301 ✭✭✭cgcsb

No I think people will think about the stabbing incident when voting

The degenerates rioting last night and the attacks on those kids are actually a symtpom of the same illness, the irish welfare state has gotten completely out of control.

Feral irish youth live consequence free lives and the dregs of the developing world are attracted to the free money. Both could be ended through welfare reform. There should be no welfare for under 25s, that money should be used to support students in key courses. Under 25s with no work or college should be offered military service to shore up the falling numbers in the navy or they could be offered cleaning and maintenance roles in the councils. €220 a week to scratch your hole and squeeze out kids is not a good thing for society.

There should be absolutely no question of any welfare payments or social housing offers for new arrivals. 10 years living working and paying tax in Ireland should be the minimum before you can access such services.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,861 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The silent majority.

We should have listened to the silent people 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 18,201 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Nationalists of the 1930s also saw liberal democracy as the enemy - they openly derided democracy as being 'rotten' and 'corrupt' and holding the country back (Hitler and Goebbels frequently said this in their speeches).

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Butson

What evidence have you for this? Actual evidence of scenes like this across Europe where the "far right" have been voted in? The thugs on the rampage across Dublin last night don't know their arse from their elbow.

Did you mean to post this in the thread about the far-right being elected in the Netherlands?

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Butson

You said the scenes in Dublin last night were perpetrated by the same type of people who vote for Far right politicians like Wilders.

I asked you to elaborate on that with real examples.

• Advertisement

What kind of examples would you like? The shared xenophobia for example? The hatred for refugees? The disdain for the law? The preference for mass deportations?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭JohnJoFitz

Great to see. Well done to the Dutch. If only we had such an option in this country. Hopefully it will come.

"Angry men here".

You are the angriest poster on boards. There is hardly a thread that you post in, that you are not whinging about something or other.

The people rioting last night were just scumbags looking for any excuse to wreck the place.

They could just as easily riot for the far-left tonight if they got an excuse.

Yes we do, though you would be forgiven for thinking otherwise, as I said, nobody votes for the National Party so they don't really have much of a profile beyond their core nut job supporters

We have a live one here, no doubt with the same sort of mindset as those who egged on the fascist thuggery we saw last night in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭m2_browning

The problem is not immigration only the most thickheaded view it as a black or white issue (ha pun), immigration can be positive (eg doctor in HSE saving your parents life)

The problem is a certain religion of intolerance (started by a 7th century goat herder with taste for underage wives) and lack of integration with host society through ghettoisation which leads to a raft of social and criminal problems at a time when we have our own homegrown gopnics going riot

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,750 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

But it's all fine for the far right of course.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement