Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dutch Freedom Party wins general election. *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

The problem is parties like Wilders' one .... are not a solution at all to the problems .... it is one thing opposing Mark Rutte but it is another matter altogether pushing dangerous agendas that are counterproductive ...

No doubt Rutte was an abysmal leader ... like many he has all his priorities wrong and plays into the hands of the far right ... mainstream politicians need to wake up and see the writing on the wall here ... it is a very dangerous trend and eventually a REAL far right regime will take over in Europe ... I mean a Hitler type ... housing, cost of living, earthquakes caused by dodgy energy policy like described above and so on need to be addressed by mainstream politicians ... climate change prevention is important yes but should not be all about imposing costs on the people ... there are other ways to incentivise people .... Rutte's Covid 19 policy showed he does not listen ... that is what a Dutch person I know said ... Covid just sort of summed up that ...

Wilders is no doubt worse than Rutte .... sure he may reverse some of Rutte's more unpopular policies but he would introduce his own bad policies .... Wilders seems obsessed with Islam and does not seem to be able to differentiate with the far right Islam (the politicised ISIS, Al Qaeda, Paydari and Taliban kind) and other forms of Islam .... he also is a major proponent of the Netherlands exiting the EU which would be another insane move ... sure the EU has faults but a succession of countries leaving it would not bring stability or prosperity to anyone ... better in than out ... work to reform it instead ...

Wilders may or may not be real far right ... but he and others like him across Europe could be the bridge between the normal and the true far right ... far right in its pure form always leads to 2 main things: dictatorship and war .... their ideology is based on control, fear, paranoia and extreme nationalism that wants to destroy the opposition .... every country that was taken over by the far right ... Germany 1933, Iran 1979, Yugoslavia early 1990s ... was at war within 1-7 years of the regime taking control ....

And do not ever think 'it cannot happen here' wherever here is .... what we are seeing is a very dangerous precedent .... Brexit in 2016 was initiated by a far right agenda, Trump's support came from a far right agenda, a far right govt reshuffle in Russia lead to the Ukraine war, a far right rigged election retook Iran in 2021, etc all don't bode well .... in EU countries far right are using poor govt policies relating to immigration (caused by other far right regimes ironically in Eastern Europe, the Middle East, Africa, etc.), cost of living, Covid, housing, homelessness, and other issues .... the sad fact is many current govts are handing these far right entities a cause .... and when they are in they are in and will destroy your country as a 64 year old Iranian I know said ....

ISIS? Al Qaeda? A new Hitler type? Should we legalise terrorist groups who are known to have killed lots of people? Sure there are people who would vote for these if given the chance .... I am sure the Kinahans in Ireland would get a vote too or the Kray Twins in England if they went for politics?? ... there should be checks and balances on who is allowed to stand for the greater good ... if a popular criminal went for office he could win a landslide and concentrate on cocaine dealing only .... and do nothing for the country !!

The far right is a very very very dangerous ideology .... it is Nazism ... I am talking about the real far right not parties labelled that ... but we need to keep an eye on parties with far right tendencies ... we need to make sure they do not turn to extremism and become the real thing ....

Of course checks and balances on who can and cannot get into govt can be abused too ... the Guardian council of Iran come to mind ... originally intended to keep far right out now used by far right to keep moderates out !! So it is not always easy to stamp out extreme politics for the greater good sadly ...

Post edited by lumphammer2 on

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

Sorry Monk, yea were warned almost a decade to stop going down that road - yea failed to listen, too full of smugness. The debt of ignoring/ignorance must now be repaid. Not that it rewards me in any joy as to say "I told you so" I weep for the damage thats already done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Whats liberal enough on the far left. Marrying a 10 year old and peadapholie is ok?. It's your right dont u know. Where do you draw the line. I consider myself liberal and free minded enough but I ain't a thick **** either. What's the limit here.

If I want to rub my body all over withaxel grease and run down the street naked. Is that my right. It's my liberties being infringed upon if the guards arrest me.😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭TokTik

The Dutch voted in a guy who had a vote on Nexit as one of the priorities. The people voted for him. You seem to advocate dictatorship, out betters know better than us. Shocking way of looking at things. Is a teacher like Enda Kenny more knowledgeable than a civil servant like me?

You are talking absolute dirt.

• Advertisement

The far left I don't think are liberal .... I never knew that Stalin or Pol Pot had any liberal tendencies ... they are the same as the far right ... go too far left you are far right go too far right you are far left ....

I bet Wilders is not happy with the person wearing the facemask behind him !!

Of course he will gut the state and benefit the rich ... he will fool the poor and those with problems ... Wilders may or may not be actual far right (i.e. Hitler type) but you can be sure he is at best just a greedy conman who promises the sun, moon and stars and delivers nothing ...

Jaysus it simple lads. Look at who benefits. Ya think charity is free. Theres some dick somewhere making money. It always boils back to that. "Oh won't someone think of the children" Simpsons are genius. Must be happening since the 90s so

Exactly ... govts like ours at present, other European ones, Joe Biden's, Shah Pahlavi's one in Iran, etc. all knew more what they were about than those who challenge/challenged them .... individuals like Trump, Khamenei, Wilders, Farage, O'Doherty, etc. ... some in power some not ... all are far right and all are incompetent ... Hitler was the most famous of them all when it comes to far right ... the Nazis were a step backwards for Germany over the Weimar Republic that was for sure ... but the Nazis and all the ones since are all the same ... very tunnel vision very either unintelligent or else sucked into some stupid ideology because of some trauma they personally suffered (Khamenei's loss of the use of his hand, Hitler's failure as an artist, O'Doherty's husband's death from ALS) ...

The will of people and how clever individuals can manipulate them gets countries nowhere .... govts make mistakes ... bailing out banks, long lockdowns ... and people are entitled to protest ... but would a far right aka far left regime solve problems? No. Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, Khamenei, Al Baghdadi, Omar, Bin Laden and some more of these lovelies never solved one problem in their life but created 1000s .... they would start a war as you said .... they would bankrupt their country as you said .... modern Iran and Afghanistan come to mind .... far right hellholes ...

No one said far right parties are the solution to all our problems but if you fook with the populace of a country long enough and ignore long enough they will turn on you. Who the fook do they think they are. I know best what's for you so go to fook. Get real. List all the shite ya want as a con. Wont make a difference.

• Advertisement

Nah the rich would never make money off the general population including migrants. No matter what government in power.

Thank god FFG are looking out for the little man

This is why govts need to listen to their people .... solve the major problems and not allow the far right gain any support ... things like the housing crisis and long lockdowns could have been avoided for example both here and elsewhere ... things anyone would know make a govt very unpopular ... I am wise enough not to vote for the far right and would vote for a non-far right moderate opposition party ... cannot say that for others ...

I agree but your not seeing the reasoning behind it, just criticism. People have no choice. These muppets in the main stream political establishment need to realise this. Where are they reading and getting there voter sentiment from . Twitter or x or some such shite because it ain't reallll world views. Fooking Narnia is all it is.

I’d hate to live in one of them “right wing” countries where the favourites get, say mobile contracts. You’d need a tribual to let him keep it. Or your finance minister not having a bank account. Or your Justice minister getting kickbacks from amusement parks or selling her uncles land to the state for a fortune.

We’re blessed where we live.

I understand this completely and see the reasoning ... what I am saying is I would not support a lot of the current govts .... long lockdowns, squandering money on PUP because of it, housing crisis not being dealt with, cost of living, mortgage culture not being dealt with, etc. ... and in the distant enough past bank bailout ... but would be intelligent enough to never turn to the far right as I see through them .... others get duped sadly and believe in these cretins .... and then realise they are WORSE than the former regime when it is all too late!! ... ask anyone from Iran who hated the Shah and then realised he was better much better than the far right Ali Khamenei junta that replaced him and who they enthusiastically supported in 1979 (thinking it was lead by another person - Khomeini - who was half dead of heart failure ... which was more serious then than now btw .. and soon to have terminal cancer ... so the moral of the story is you do not even know who the REAL guy is leading the regime you do not yet know) .... if the far right was my only alt to a govt I did not like I'd set up my own moderate decent party simple as .... they are not the answer these types like Hitler, Milosevic, Khamenei or Trump ...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,514 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

That's what far right means. The only thing that stands out about Wilders is that he hasn't drank the Rogan Kool-Aid regarding Covid.

Anyway, he's not off to a good start.

Post edited by ancapailldorcha on

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭weisses

BS... 72% of the dutch population is positive about the EU

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,514 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's the usual Irexiter nonsense. Twentieth century nationalists wanted freedom and prosperity. Twenty-first century nationalists want poverty and servitude for everyone else.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭weisses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

It's gas seeing people call people who want change as being childish.

Irish citizens like other countries are watching their life get worse year on year and their kids and grandkids will have no future here.

In a housing crisis where we have record level of homeless on the streets, not including adults living at home we have a minister encouraging people to come here.

I would call that a childish view point because a child can tell you if a sink is overflowing you turn off the tap.

We want to be leaders in going green while increasing the population meaning more cars, more heating homes effectively increasing carbon footprint making the effort to be leaders impossible.

I would call that a childish viewpoint because a child could tell you it's a total contradiction.

We need to cut back on farming and drive farmers into poverty while we will need to import from foreign countries.

Again a child could explain that it doesn't really make a lot of sense.

A few hundred mindless idiots showed the guards are not equipped to protect this country.

But our minister for justice has it highest priority to push through a hate speech law so guards who are underresouced will be looking for someone getting there feelings hurt online while reducing the amount of guards on the streets.

Again you would say a child could tell you that's not a great idea.

Polling recently showed nearly 80% of the country thinks we have taken in too many people which is a couple of million people.

Now this means by the definition of what's classed as racism means we have a few millions racists among us.

Again it's a bit of a childish mindset of what's classed as racism.

The goverment see far right everywhere when they will poll a few hundred votes out of millions and they are the biggest danger to Ireland.

We are following the same path as sweeden which is the gun capital of Europe, our guards couldn't deal with a few hundred without guns the other night but we pursue going down this route.

The government's biggest concern though is hate speech and taking more guards off the street.

I don't think I could vote for a far right party and I hope a centre party with common sense rises up.

The far right have child like views and would ruin the country.

The current government have child like views and are runing this country and certainly a bigger threat to our security than a few hundred far right idiots of little intelligence.

Unless the current government are stopped in 10 years we will be sweeden but won't have the guards to protect innocent citizens.

That's a far bigger worry than the far right.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,980 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

What's childish about it is people conning themselves into believing that voting types like Wilders into power and expecting any of the above to change.

The adult approach would be to find out what the policies are first and then choosing to vote based on that. And not your pent up aggression against people you've never even met.

These protest votes like we've seen over the last decade are like a kid thrashing their room because mammy and daddy won't let them have their way.

We all get it, many people are pissed for a variety of reasons, including the Dutch. But I'm sure the "Freedom" Party bringing back Zwarte Piet will solve all their problems.

People are watching their country go to shite year on year.

They only need to look at sweeden to see the long term future unless something changes.

The people who are in favour of the madness are of child mind, thinking that calling anyone who questions things a racist or far right thug will make people shut up, when in reality it's whats making countries shift right.

I am sure some people don't know what going down that route will bring, but they certainly know what way its going to be unless something changes.

There are people of child like intelligence on the extremes of both sides and a majority in the middle.

Ideally in ireland we can get a party with common sense, but we will go right and a big reason will be for telling people they are racist etc for asking legitimate questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

we will go right

When? In the elections over the next couple of years? Is the party or parties that will lead this charge in existence yet?

I would imagine a new party will be formed over the next few years.

We are years behind other countries on mass immigration.

I am sure the countries with far right parties didn't think they would see it either.

So why the reluctance for a Nexit vote?? Surely it would bolster the EU within Holland and would be proof to Wilders that the Dutch want to stay. Easy win for the other parties.

We already have a government that's on the right of the political spectrum. Fine Gael are wedded to neo-liberalism, which is a right wing ideal. Fianna Fail have always been a centre right entity.

The problems of people in this country have been caused by right wing policies. Thinking that voting in harder version of the right wing will suddenly solve people's problems is the very definition of woolly.

The country is bolloxed and is getting worse every day.

The 50 or so people not in power and have no say in the country must be the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,119 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Governments don't usually hold referendums on things they are completely opposed to - that would make no sense whatsoever.

The Brexit referendum was a fiasco for this very reason. Cameron held a referendum on EU membership, despite being pro-Remain and with no plans or preparations in place to facilitate the leaving of the EU. The result was a cluster-f of unimaginable proportions (with him walking away from the wreckage).

Advertisement