Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should RTE stop airing Father Ted?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭PaoloGotti

I thought it was pretty clear that the basis for my defence is that is comments are fair observations of reality and thus cannot be considered harassment or hate speech.

I agree that he is obsessive and probably spends far too much time and effort on this issue. I don’t agree that he is hateful. I don’t understand the word transphobia anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,022 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The fact that you think it's acceptable to insult people with hate filled slurs says an awful lot about you.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Well that depends on what the definition of a hate filled slur is I guess. We obviously have different thickness of skins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I'm having a fair bit of dejavu in relation to how people historically and still do explain away homophobic rhetoric. Vague insinuations, claiming that they're not supposed to be taking literally etc.

• Advertisement

I prefer to take each argument on merit with a critical analysis of the points being made. “Sounds like something a homophobe would say” could be used to close down any debate on social issues otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

"remarkable how often they get it right"

Not exactly talking highly of them either. You talk as though there is a right or wrong decision when it comes to referendums, which is bizarre. Why put it to the people at all if there is a wrong choice? Do you think they got the Nice Treaty vote wrong?

This legislation will never go to a vote anyway so not worth debating. It will be thrust upon us and the court system will be thronged with more frivolous cases than it already is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,934 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

And that's objectively untrue based on the examples in this thread.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 19,079 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

So, basically, the defence of Linehan's comments and activities is "I agree with him, so it's all ok". ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fkn 'ell

🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 34,351 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's possible (Article 27 of the Constitution) but has never happened. Agreed that referendums bring every crackpot out of the woodwork with issues and arguments which are nothing to do with the proposal. I'm still waiting to be conscripted by the EU into their non-existent army at €1.63 an hour.

At least abortion is now entirely a legislative matter so no more miscarriages on posters, but there was something quite distasteful that we had to have a vote before gay people could have equal legal rights - what if we'd voted No? Large parts of our constitution are still stuck in a byegone era.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Ah yes the next page from the play book - take a quote out of context and try and deflect with a bit of "whataboutery"...

Of course there is a right decision - it's the one they people decide is in their best interests. As for the Nice Treaty, they got it right on BOTH occasions. As per the constitution, the people reserve the right to ratify EU treaty changes to themselves and leave the negotiations to the government. And in any negotiations there will be proposals, rejections, counter proposals and revised proposals. And the Irish constitution recognises this by not restricting in any why the right of the people to consider, revisit or reconsider any issue they vote on. Now you can continue believe the silly nonsense that the people voted twice on the same proposal etc., if it makes you feel better, but if you want to be taken seriously, you'll need to come up with a line by line, word by word analysis that shows this and that is not possible - just another excuse for failure.

There is no reason for there to be a vote on this legislation as the people have delegated that right to their elected representatives in the legislature and there is no widespread indication among the public that they would want to. If the law is enacted, then it will go through the normal checks and balances that exist in our democracy and by interpreted in the courts in the normal way. And of course if you are unhappy with it, you are free to take a case to the supreme court to test it's constitutionality, if you wish to do so. A privilege that is not available in the UK for example.

Remember the Irish people have twice rejected the abolition of the PR system, on one occasion returning FF with the highest majority they had up to that point (basically saying we like what you are doing, but no we are not going to make it more difficult to kick you out), twice rejected the abolition of the upper house because they see it as an important break on the Dail and more recently rejected the reduction in age for the president because they recognise that the last line of defence of their constitution needs to be someone of maturity and experience. And rightly so, we have had the Arms Trial, the abuse of the CIC of the defence forces by Paddy Donegan and the attempt by Brian Lenihan's attempt to influence the president. The Irish people are far from the stupid image some like to suggest, when it comes to making these kind of decision.

I always find it amusing when people start claiming that the public would agree with them if they (the public) were better informed, more intelligent or what ever, because all it really means is that they failed to inform the public or they just had a bad idea and people saw it for what it was.

Well that's just bollocks, ever watched Bernard Manning or Jim Davidson videos from the clubs (a far cry from what he was like on TV) ?

We didn't like it much when it was the "thick Mick" alcoholic labourer stereotype being made fun of, did we?

Making fun of people who are less well off than you financially, socially, etc. is easy - too easy. If society in general stigmatises those people then all the better as if they do speak out they won't be listened to. It was cowardly.

That's no longer the case any more though and the bigots, racists, homo- and transphobes just can't stand it.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

His Tweets are constantly exaggerated. For example, it was claimed he threated to mass shoot a trans event, but he never. He has an acidic personality, but that is irrelevant. JK Rowling is as mannerly as anyone and gets just as much attempts to sabotage her career.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

It's just comedy.

Mr O'Reilly from Fawlty Towers (played by an Irishman) was playing up to the thick , lazy Paddy stereotype and yet it was a brilliant episode and people in Ireland don't seem to have much objection to it.

Funny is Funny.

This whole punching down argument is just used by people who don't like the absurdities of certain things they agree with being pointed out to them

What a load of utter drivel

Linehan and Mathews target was not ordinary Catholics - it was the arrogance and hypocrisy of the Church clergy and hierarchy - and what was really going on was far far worse than they or anyone else outside of that clergy and hierarchy could at that time imagine.

Well yes they were able to do that by 1995 - before then it would certainly not have been shown by RTE. Actually RTE initially refused to show it but after it was such a big hit here on Channel 4 they had to relent.

Sounds like you want to go back to the 'good old days' when no dissent against the church was permitted to be uttered.

Lots of Irish people had become atheists in the 1960s, are you having a laugh? Oddly enough they still ticked catholic on the census, sent their kids to catholic schools (not that there was a choice), made their kids go to mass and undergo the sacraments, and went to mass themselves! and never spoke out against the church, but you have some inner insight that lots of them were really atheists, impressive.

Yes of course!

Thought experiment: If the vast majority of trans activists agreed with him, wouldn’t it all be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

You know there were screenshots in this thread of him calling trans people and their supporters paedos?

He is suspicious of people that are fascinated with children transitioning (ie altering their sexual organs and thus sexuality). He didn’t call all trans people and their supporters paedos.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

He should be suspicious of himself and others like him then since I see far more talk about children transitioning from the anti-trans crowd than I do from trans people.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,934 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,022 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

He was suspended and permabanned from Twitter previously. That doesn't come lightly. There is no exaggerating.

Post edited by Annasopra on

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

It would be preferential for everyone concerned, INCLUDING HIMSELF, if he kept his nose out of other people's business. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭growleaves

It was a (humourous) attack on the entire belief system as silly imo. The irreverence went beyond satire.

I'm well aware that RTE refused to screen it. So what? Like I said, when the show came out Linehan helped to discover an Ireland full of atheists in '95. He was not being introduced as part of the Estbalishment by the state broadcaster. RTE picked up repeats soon after when they realised it was popular.

"Sounds like you want to go back to the 'good old days' when no dissent against the church was permitted to be uttered."

Who is talking drivel? I am not uncritical of the Catholic Church myself. I just don't have to cheerlead for a TV show full of Paddywhackery that I think has an inflated reputation (though it is clever at times) if I don't want to. Can I not give my own unpopular opinion?

Yes, its true, atheism was starting to become widespread in the 1960s in Ireland increasing through the 70s, 80s etc. I don't think census-takers are in the best position to gauge such things. What matters is what people really think and feel, not pro-forma declarations.

The Eight Amendment referendum in 1983 was effectively a rear-guard action: Catholics were already on the defensive even if they had a paper majority. It was to forestall some Roe v Wade equivalent from coming out of nowhere.

Things happen slowly. Its like if you look at frozen lake, the water underneath the surface is moving around all the time but the top of the lake hasn't changed to the human eye.

So you’re allowed call someone a nonce but he is full of hatred if he does so? (I don’t have a problem with you doing so by the way. It’s objectionable that he is not as he is not engaged with altering children’s sexual organs).

Nothing particularly immoral about those tweets. He is denouncing the mutilation of children. Of course that requires strong language.

Ah sure keep out of the business of child abuse. Good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,094 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Immoral? Who mentioned morality?

He's not just denouncing the transitioning procedures. He's calling the whole movement a paedo movement. Do you agree with that?

Yes, its true, atheism was starting to become widespread in the 1960s in Ireland increasing through the 70s, 80s etc. I don't think census-takers are in the best position to gauge such things. What matters is what people really think and feel, not pro-forma declarations.

How on earth do you claim to know what people in 1960s Ireland were really thinking and feeling, when the actions and utterances of the vast majority of them were entirely in accord with being observant Catholics?

Do you expect people to accept ridiculous claims not only without evidence, but which fly in the face of all evidence available?

Well the whole thread is about whether or not GL is good or bad, hence the morality.

Personally, I wouldn’t summarise it as a paedo movement, no. I can see the child abuse though. It is not sexual attraction to children per se, but it concerning that adults are altering children’s sexuality.

But my defence of GL is that he is not an evil hate-filled scumbag as has been said on this thread.

• Advertisement

🤣

Weak.

Linehan's nonsense highlighted in post #383 has fuck all to do with trying to tackle "child abuse" in any meaningful way. It's simply the rantings of someone who's lost the run of themselves.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement