Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should RTE stop airing Father Ted?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,171 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I remember people in my fathers age group saying gay people were ok but you wouldn't let a gay person near children. It was too great a risk.

And I remember when there was a movement talking about telling kids it was ok to be gay, people said it was all about gay men convincing children they were gay so they could abuse them. The idea of that is just bizarre to us. That anyone could have told us when we were teenagers that we were gay (Unless of course you happened to be). At a time when a girl walking past was making me blush, there's not a hope any amount of "convincing" could have made me think men were attractive.

I believe you are talking about the North American Man Boy Love Association. or NAMBLA as it was better known.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,125 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yeah I didn't realise that NAMBLA joke was based on real organisations. But it seems it was. Glad it stayed a joke.

I don't always trust people's opinions but it seems there is absolute no desire to make paedophilia legal. With that in mind, it makes GL's paedo trans obsession sound like Alex Jones or QAnon conspiracies.

This is it. I remember that sentiment about Gay people too.

Isn't it interesting that so many of the anti gay or anti trans people seem to take for granted that you can choose to be gay or straight, trans or cis? A big part of me wonders if we should take them at their word and maybe they are only straight by act of will rather than by nature.

There was a guy in the Front Line audience around the time of the gay marriage referendum and he said the Catholic Church position on gay marriage ensured the survival of our species... like if men weren't constantly reminded not to bang each other, then that's obviously what they'd do. Maybe that guy would have, but the straight people would just be attracted to the opposite sex regardless of what the Catholics say about it

The lack of self awareness is very sad to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

A better question is ... why should we even care about Graham Linehan's opinions ... why should they even be known/reported ?? .. Linehan is just the writer of a TV comedy series called Father Ted that was popular with college students in the 1990s ... he also wrote the less remembered Val Falvey TD too ... Linehan's opinions are not coming from someone who is standing for public office and if I were him I would stick to writing comedies rather than trying to be controversial for the sake of it ...

Personally I have enough of these types having their say on any old thing that is controversial ... if they can be silenced I won't stand in the way ... they are full of their own self importance and they are not as 'talented' as they claim they are ... Linehan only had one iconic show ... other stuff he did like Val Falvey were drivel ...

• Advertisement

My position on paedophiles is a bit nuanced. If any of them act on it, including watching abuse material, they should be locked up. Preferably in a facility where they can get treatment.

But the thing that gets me is that we don't know how many are out there that aren't predatory. I remember reading an article by a guy who said he was attracted to children. He said he had no desire to ever abuse a child, but he was attracted to them. He wasn't attracted to adults. He said that finding treatment was hard because of the stigma attached. Plus he could never have a romantic attraction with an adult.

I do think we should have dedicated anonymous treatment for those kind of people. It can't be a good life. But once again, anyone who has offended should be locked up.

But all if this is separate from the issue here which is trans people. Trans people aren't abusers. I've never seen any evidence which suggests that trans people, of either gender provide a higher level of danger to people or children than cis people.

If we see the death of irresponsible free speech alongside the death of verbal bullying, dissemination of conspiracy theory rags like G O'Doherty's the Irish Light and the end to terrorist-influencing far right ideas ... then that is something we should celebrate ... there are certain individuals who are dangerous with regard to what comes out of their empty hate filled heads ....

Yeah I get that. It's not about liking what they represent but if they want help to make sure they never hurt a child then we're kinda on the same side on that issue. Much better to hold your nose and set up help for them rather than leaving them to their own devices. It depends on whether you'd prefer to express disgust for them or ensure children are not harmed. I'd side with protecting the children.

Bit you're right, it's off topic. I've never really seen any stats that trans people are deviants either. I presume that if trans people were paedos then the anti trans people would tell us about it. The old adage, if the facts are on your side, pound the facts. If the law is on your side, pound the law. If neither aren't your side, pound the table. All I really see is a a lot of table pounding about the trans lads and no real evidence that there's anything to worry about.

As regards Father Ted not being shown ... I don't think it matters if it is or not ... perhaps it should be shown to remind people of how fickle Linehan is ... in the 1990s he was writing a comedy for college kids taking aim at the corrupt and backwards church .. which was dominated by strict social laws and perverted clergy not to mention financial scandals ... and 30 years later he is ironically promoting a hardline Catholic style stance on social issues ... methinks this man has no opinion of his own but is happy to pander to progressive 1990s college students 30 years ago and to religious zealots in the 2020s ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

The issue here is not GL, Father ted, trans or gay people - it's about legislation being brought in to shut people down. A pedophile, a bigot, a transphobe - do you think shutting them up will solve anything? If you want to steer clear of people you don't agree with, then shutting them up is the last thing you should want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭AlanG

It is possible that Fr. Ted will have to be pulled once the hate speech leglsiation passes anyway. Once someone feels it promotes hate on the basis of religion then, according to the government it will be in breech of the legislation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,067 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

No, it isn't. It's comments like this that makes it hard to have serious discussion here.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

He didn’t write val falvey

and please stop posting , I’ve read two of your posts and they are ignorant of facts and basic comedy knowledge

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭growleaves

I think you are overthinking it.

Linehan felt antipathy towards Catholics and what they stood for so he mocked them. He was lucky that his stance aligned so perfectly with others - he helped to discover an Ireland that just under the surface was full of angry atheists who wanted organised religion placed in the rubbish bin of history. He had perfect timing.

He probably then thought he could mock anyone he liked and get away with it. But he's now found out that's not the case.

What's interesting is people still see Linehan as having bravely "punched up" at Bishops even though the Catholic Church was not nearly as powerful by 1995 as people now like to make out. Effectively lots of Irish people had already become atheists since the 1960s.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,044 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Gl is a hatemongering bigoted scumbag. End of story.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Odd behaviour? Spending all your daily life obsessing about trans people Is a lot lot worse than "odd behaviour"

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Terry Pratchet

I would hope he try’s to settle this and I know at least , counselling , meetings with trans people (actually trans people) , a statement of apology and a change of tact is the minimum acceptable to everyone.

he wrote for brasseye , Alan partridge, big train, black books , created ted and IT , to me that’s the cv of a comedy god , and it’s very sad that he won’t get back to it.

easy to say he’s finished but a genuine apology of sort cab help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

The event organisers were trying to pull a fast one on the venue, when they put Linehan on the bill in the guise of a "mystery guest".

Nothing will convince me that they weren't fully aware that he wouldn't have been welcomed any other way, and they were hoping that at short notice and with all the tickets sold, the venue wouldn't cancel.

Their underhanded actions backfired on them, and it resulted in the loss of a gig for the other comedians who were due to appear when the venue cancelled, as I believe the venue had every right to do.

As for Linehan, all I have to say about him is he made his bed. Now he can lie in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

You're right, it's the most heinous crime in the world.

Not the most heinous crime bin the world, but it doesn't take the most heinous crime to break up a marriage. He became obsessed with a conspiracy theory. Whatever caused him to have that break from reality will also have caused other changes in behaviour. I doubt these genuine conspiracy theorists are much fun to be around and it might have been a fair decision to protect his children from him. He's obviously not firing on all cylinders at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,050 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Linehan can be an arsehole and you can still like Fr Ted.

Linehan can be an arsehole and you can still laugh your arse off at it.

I don’t know anything about him aside from his contributions to comedy on TV and the accusations against him now…

why these woke fûcks are out to cancel an enjoyable award winning sitcom because one of its creators and writers has espoused disagreeable views ? Ohhh yes this weird ‘canceling’ fetish ! 🤪

go after Linehan, fine, but why should a TV show be a target… there is very little controversial in Ted….

…. People have issues with one of its creators because of stuff he’s said now or recently ? Ok, fine, deal with that and him on this basis….

if a multimillion platinum selling songwriter says xyz, should you ban their contributions from Spotify and other platforms ? Rescind awards, album sales, chart positions, ?

I had to end a very long and very close friendship with someone who became increasingly obsessed with conspiracy theories (not transgender) until it came to the point that they completely consumed her life.

In the end, it can get to the point where it sours any remaining remnants of friendship. I can only imagine the impact it could have on a relationship.

No. That's an exaggeration but becoming obsessional to the point that it takes over your whole life is more than odd behaviour.

Terry Pratchet

Literally no one is calling out to cancel Father Ted - the OP just used that as clickbait to start another thread on "hate speech", transgender, etc.

When Linehan was banned from twitter he went away. No-one heard from him. No-one was targeted by his abuse. So yeah, banning him from using social media could work.

I know someone who's married to a dr. During covid her friend became obsessed with vaccine conspiracy theories to the point where she was posting up stuff about how doctors, and this specific doctor, were trying to commit mass murder with vaccines. It's weird how these theories can warp your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

So this is the individual GLinner is accused of harassing. The harassment apparently is referring to this individual as a man.

Reduxx has confirmed that a prominent trans activist known for having at least two women arrested for “hate speech” was previously convicted of indecent assault on a 14-year-old boy, and was a registered sex offender.

This person also lied to the police to get a mother of 4 arrested at her home.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,067 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

A few tweets and a dump from a website I've never heard of. Pass.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement