Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should RTE stop airing Father Ted?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,022 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Nobody advocated cancelling Fr Ted at all. You made that up.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 24,982 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

“ what on earth on you about ? “ errrff

I think you need to have a nice cuppa, a Jaffa cake or three and relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I think you're confused about what the scandal is - it's nothing to do with Fr Ted. You fell for the clickbait thread title.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,982 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

This I know, but if Linehan gets canceled, I was using Ted as an example

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Linehan's views were held by everyone till about 8 years ago. There is nothing controversial about them. He has clearly obsessed and hurt his life but he is right. I would urge anyone doubting this to actually dig out the alleged offensive tweets or the JK Rowling ones. See for yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

An example of what?

Something that hasn't happened and that no one has looked for?

Post edited by Ezeoul on

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

When you consider the vile thrown at the likes of Germaine Greer and Kathleen stock, linehan actually gets off quite lightly. He is still able to make programs like the recent excellent Motherland.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,934 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Based on what?

Plenty of examples of his nonsense on this thread show him for what he is.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Well why did you claim in the thread there was advocacy to cancel Fr Ted then?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

No. Everyone wasn't going around harassing and abusing trans people until 8 years ago. Everyone wasn't ranting about trans people being evil and gromers and paedophiles until 8 years ago.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,094 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I'm not sure I would have had an opinion on trans people 8 years ago. I never even knew a trans person until about 6 years ago. I certainly didn't associate them with paedos. I lived through assuming homophobia and associating gays with paedos was normal and then having to realise I was totally wrong about that. So when the trans people came along, I'm pretty sure I had humility enough to not make the same mistake.

Maybe you associated trans people with paedos 8 years ago, but not everyone did.

I was in my late teens when I had to really evaluate my understanding of what being gay meant. I realised that sexual orientation (insert race, religion, social background) didn't really tell you either of the most important things about people: 1. It doesn't tell you whether they're sound or not and 2. Whether they could teach you something interesting.

Figuring out how wrong I was about sexual orientation was a humbling blow to the ego. I'll just judge people by their behaviour rather than one characteristic that doesn't tell you anything important about whether they're sound

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

Linehan has become a far more ridiculous figure in real life than any fictional character in Father Ted.

He has become a composite of the worst traits of many characters.

He has the self regard of that priest who wanted the two parachutes, the ego of Niamh Connolly, the hypocrisy of Bishop Brennan, the charm of Dick Byrne, the reasonableness of Fintan Stack, the honesty of Father Damo Lennon, the stability of Henry Sellers, and the believability of Ted spinning that yarn about the whistle.

At the end of it all he's about as interesting as Father Stone.

And his followers are a shower of Cyril McDuffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

You're essentially just screaming and you've yet to post anything the man's said to back up your argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Yeah you I don't know where you get this but that is a distraction. Linehan doesn't think that. That is not where this controversary came from. . Linehan has said very clearly he doesnt think that.

Well, he's also been pretty clear about associating trans and paedos.

🤣🤣🤣

Lots of examples in the thread posted by me and others.

Terry Pratchet

😅😅😅

Linehan has made numerous statements about trans people and paedophilia. He also claims he is not anti trans despite the fact his whole life is an anti trans obsession.

Terry Pratchet

Ah someone just show them the posts. Looking forward to seeing cognitive dissonance un full swing. That's basically what I use Boards for.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭PaoloGotti

• Advertisement

Linehan has contributed more positively to society than most I’d wager.

Calling out people for their BS is not equal to harassing people.

Do you have a link to quotes of him doing this?

We've gotta trawl a few hundred posts in this thread to find one.

To break this down as at least it is an example of a quote:

He is using the Manson family analogy to describe the trans movement as a cult. Facetious but not miles off the mark.

I think the obsession with making kids trans does have a weird sexual element to it. We are talking about children’s reproductive organs after all. So I see the paedophile link.

Re the eugenics comment. I agree that using medication experimentally on children as puberty blockers as happened in the Tavistock is like something Dr Mengele would do. Again, facetious comment admittedly.

I really do think what adults are doing to trans kids is deplorable and Linehan making facetious comments is akin to the Just Stop Oil protestors at the end of their tether trying to get people to get it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,934 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

You've just said he's not wrong. That's not much of an argument in fairness. Ditto for the whataboutery at the end.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

My point is that his comments aren’t too far off the mark and hardly “hateful”.

Thats not whataboutery. My point is that sometimes people make their point somewhat harshly because the softly softly approach doesn’t work.

You clearly have an inability to read the thread 😑

Terry Pratchet

They aren't. They show that he's become a hateful person. Maybe he was always that way. Who knows.

Since you've offered no basis for your defence of him, I don't see much point in continuing this.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

Nah. His whole life is now dedicated to an obsessional hateful transphobia.

Terry Pratchet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement