Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Disgraceful imho that they've allowed Russian + Belarussian players this year.

Propaganda for the folks back home in Russia + Belarussia, to show them that all is well and their sporting heroes and heroines are striding across the world. When in fact the populations of these states need a clear & stark message that they are outcasts.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Tsitsipas in big trouble against Eubanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Pathetic from Tsitsipas.

Both him and Ruud have now exited Wimbledon to complete unknown players that they really should be dispatching with ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Absolutely, shouldn't be let play. I was impressed with the original decision but they have bowed to pressure from the rest .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Hard watching that sabalenka one. The noises are **** ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭Augme

Since when did Usyk leave his sporting career behind? 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

He joined up with the Ukranian armed forces at the start of the war.Obviously he's gone back to boxing since then.

The Russian and Belorussian players should be not be stigmatized for what their governments have done, nobody picked on the British and American players during those governments invasion of Iraq so why should the Russian and Belorussian players be stigmatized now for what their governments have done. It was completely wrong to exclude them last year and thankfully they've made the right decision to include them now, particularly wrong to exclude them in tennis as many of the top players are from those 2 countries so it makes a mockery of the competition to have so many good players not allowed to compete for something that has nothing to do with tennis.

Too much Ukraine talk, on the thread now, that's the end of it from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,706 ✭✭✭✭josip

I love threads where people post about too much OT chat, having just included a whole OT paragraph in their post :)

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Very impressive women's QF lineup, must be one of the best at Wimbledon for quite a while.

Pleasantly surprised with how Svitolina has played since returning to the tour, thought she'd be much slower to return to form.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,948 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Why do BBC insist on jumping from one channel to the other every hour, and then miss nearly a whole game with their introductory waffle?

😡

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,278 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Alcaraz very impressive overall (even though he struggled to close things out a tad) against Berrettini

My son has a question I cannot answer and I would appreciate some input from the more knowledgeable please. Why in the QF is Alcaraz playing Rune(6) and not Sinner(8). He was expecting that in a fair draw and all top seeds making it to the QFs, that 1 would play 8, 2 plays 7, 3 plays 6 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭dublin49

I would imagine it relates to how they need to split the draw into top half and bottom half to play alternate days on week 2 and the need to have similiar weighting in both halves pushes 6 down and moves 8 up. Total guess.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Because the draw is random, the #1 seed is only protected from playing another top 4 seed in the QF's and they can be placed against anyone in the 5-8 section. Been like that as long as I recall anyway.

Last year top seed Djokovic would've played #5 seed Alcaraz in the QF's had the latter made it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I assume you mean a "strictly seeded" draw? Calling it a fair draw is debatable, arguably the fairest draw would just be a completely open one.

But I digress. The draw is not strictly seeded. The basis for the draw is this:

• The top two seeds cannot meet before the final
    • The top four seeds cannot meet before the semi-finals
    • The top eight seeds cannot meet before the quarter-finals
    • ...and so on

There is no additional requirements, so if you're a top four seed and you've reached the quarter finals, you're as likely to be facing 5th as 8th (but definitely not one of the other top 4)

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

I will have another go,I suspect the reason they cannot divide all the seeds up on a strictly linear basis from 1 to 32 is playing the first day would be deemed an advantage ,especially on week 2 where it yields an extra days rest,so they need need to do a qualified draw where you cannot play a seed outside your bracket , but you can be in the top or bottom half of the draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

The problem is if it is always 1 v 8 in every quarter-final then you can theoretically be trapped long-term at 8 even if you are actually the 2nd or 3rd best player in the world. Doing a partially randomised draw (where 1,2,3,4 can be bracketed to play any of 5,6,7,8 in the quarter-final) gets around this potential block.

It's definitely been a problem in other sports which you may or may not follow. e.g., getting to world number 8 or 16 in snooker was an issue when Stephen Hendry was an unbeatable machine as the draw is always rigidly fixed for 1 to play 32, then 16, then 8, then 4. So interestingly what your son thinks is a 'fair draw' does have a flaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,171 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Rublev has the demeanour of someone who knows he's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,116 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Djokovic has a lovely delicate touch with the drop volleys when he fancies it

This is a pathetic end.

Another of these pretenders wilting when Novak merely decides to up it a few percent.

The GOAT, but there is minimal resistance from these challengers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭tiegan

Each to his own opinion - I thought Rublev put up a good fight against Djockovich - certainly put it up to Novak!!

Fair enough.

Great start, but it petered out quite sadly for me.

Rublev ,like Dimitrov and probably Tsitsipas are to mind flaky when under pressure.Hard to believe with all the assembled teams ,the years of analysis ,lockeroom wisdom ,nobody seems to be any nearer to solving the challenge Djock presents,would love to see Eubanks go the whole way now although alcaraz realistically has the best chance of causing an upset.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

As if it needs to be said, but that 2nd set was an absolute shocker. I doubt ND could believe how little he had to do to get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

What's really disappointing about the next gen players is that they are struggling to even get to the latter stages of the slams on a consistent basis, often getting beaten by low ranking guys who haven't done anything in the game. Rublev played quite well today but, it was inevitable once Djokovic got on top that was it, he's supposedly one of the top players but, hasn't reached a slam semi final yet!

Even Medvedev who has been one of the top players over the last 5 years or so, has only made about 5 slam semi finals, the likes of Zverev, Tsitsipas have similarly poor records, they really are an exceptionally poor generation of players. Alcaraz and possibly Sinner will hopefully be more consistent in getting to the latter stages of the slams

Sinner only made his first GS SF today. Shocking standard really. I do think Rune may be a regular in slam finals, though. He just has something about him. I think it'll be him and Alcatraz fighting it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Forgot about Rune as he wasn't playing, I think you might be right, he seems to have a different mentality, but, we'll have to wait and see. I know Sinner is only in his first semi, but, still young and now that he had made the break through might become more regular. My point really was about the likes of Medvedev, Tsitsipas, Zverev, Theim, etc, all well established for a number of years now, but, haven't made a huge amount of slam semis between them and look to be in decline already.

I wasn't trying to insult Rublev.

But this generation are just weak. No consistency. You couldn't trust any of them to reach the latter stages of anything. Novak knows he'll eventually get on top in a 5 setter.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

A nothing QF in the end yesterday, and Djokovic will saunter to another Wimbledon win next Sunday. All so predictable unfortunately.

• Advertisement

I've just been watching Eubanks for the first time, so refreshing. 4 bounces, serve. Point over, walk quickly to serve again. Minimal towels, twitching, scratching, moaning or shorts pulling in the nether regions. Is there anyone else who just gets on with a game as quickly as him?

Advertisement