Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,049 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Murray breaks in third set and holds.

Do matches not have to stop at 11? Murray won't want to break his rhythym I'd say now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

They said 11

Is McEnroe any good on commentary?

I can't tell don't know enough tennis

It's great to have tennis on free-to-air and late into the evening. Murray putting in a great shift so far. Seems to be enjoying himself.

I think he is terrific personally.

The worst by a country mile...Andrew Castle... absolutely abysmal.

Murray 2 sets to 1 up now....but that 11pm curfew creeping up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Xander10

Well that's an awful hometown decision to stop now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,204 ✭✭✭Augme

I doubt Murray wants to stop. Tsitsipas was looking like he was doing his usual meltdown when under pressure.

I think they had to stop at 11 anyway, but yeah odd when Murray has the momentum. He looked wrecked though to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,839 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Looked like Murray tweaked something when he fell. A full set lead and an overnight rest seems preferable than playing on for the extra 20 mins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Definitely not a hometown decision, Murray wasn't happy that play was stopped, realistically they were only going to get 10/15 mins of play anyway, but, the momentum was with Murray and Tsitsipas was looking like he was about to fold, even with that fall near the end, Murray was probably hoping to get a break up early in the 4th set before play had to stop. The break definitely suits Tsitsipas more, he can regroup and Murray's rhythm and momentum is broken. While Tsitsipas might still come through, one thing is clear the difference in attitude is plain to see, Murray digging in, not giving up even though he's way below his peak and Tsitsipas beginning to fold at the first sign of trouble, sums up the difference between the real elite players and the next gen lads.

Well we will have to agree to disagree on that one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Wimbledon is a very quiet residential area. There’s an agreement that the tennis will end at 11 so as to get all the spectators out before midnight. It doesn’t matter wether you “agree” with that or not.That’s just the way that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dublin49

you get used to Prime and having every match available.BBC coverage of just one match and then the added downside of having to watch every Brit no matter how good they are is a real bummer.I know if I get a VPN I can get matches on iplayer but no appetite for signing up to anything else,

You seem to have missed the point

The decision was not to keep playing until 11. No one is suggesting that they play after 11

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Floppybits

It was the right decision to stop at the end of the third set. No point going into the 4th set knowing it is not going to complete and then have to restart the next day either in the middle of a set or middle of a game. Also I think stopping the match at the point they did favors Tsitsipas more that Murray. Tsitsipas can now regroup, get his head together and come back today mentally and physically stronger than last night, Murray I think would have preferred the match to go on as Tsitsipas was floundering and Murray was on top. Anyway looking forward to watching the rest of this match today.

Ya I like him but couldn't really tell how good he is

Don't follow it closely enough

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭CassieManson

I like McEnroe as really liked the way he played.Am surprised he has survived commentating so long as he sails pretty close to wind with some of his chatter.He calls it as he sees it and doesn't hid behind banalities ,but probably doesnt need the gig which some of the others might.

Top day today on centre court

Murray's match will be fascinating

I thought he was only hanging in but have to admire his doggedness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Floppybits

He was hanging on during some of the match but I thought he had got on top before the end and the Tsitsipas was close to collapsing. Nothing worse than playing really well like Tsitsipas was in the match and the guy at the other end just hanging in and then going up a set.

Alcarez would hardly trouble Djokovic much would he ?

Could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

No, I don't think so, he's a decent player, probably the best to come through since the Djokovic/Nadal/Federer era, but, I think he is being over hyped as the media are desperate for someone to genuinely challenge Djokovic at slam level, all the other next gen hopes have all turned to dust, so he's the last hope for someone to challenge Djokovic at slam level, before time inevitably will do it for them. Alcaraz might be number 1, but, everyone knows Djokovic is really the number 1 player and that won't change until Alcaraz ( or anyone else) can beat Djokovic at slam level on a consistent basis. At the moment Djokovic really isn't being made earn slam titles, once he stays fit and is allowed participate he wins, simple as that.

Well this will be interesting

Maybe Murray will will the mental battle

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Does John Inverdale ever listen to himself? He talks such utter billhooks......

The Hawkeye situation IMO currently is a nonsense,why if it is going to be the arbiter of decisions why not do away with the game of challenges,just give the umpire access and let them call in or out of all shots.

Murray Tsitsipas into a 5th set, terrific 4th set

Murray broken in the 5th that feels huge!

glad Tsitsipas won but his drop shots and lobs are very poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Why is there no red button option on the BBC so you can watch whatever match you want, surely that is very difficult to arrange at all.

Advertisement