Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Out of fear. Their governments would not just f*** you up with little to no regard, but they'd f*** up your families too. Those tennis players who aren't saying anything are likely only doing so because if they did, their families back home would be in for a world of sh!t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

I'd imagine the Ukrainians fear has been higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

There have been people arrested and imprisoned for holding up blank placards in protest against the war. Russia isn't a democracy, and such "revolt" happens with serious consequences, not only for you but your family as well.

Nobody has said anything about forcing anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tobesure

If she made the final she'd have to take pictures with the other finalist so...she would be used in propaganda anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Nice double there😁

Should be about 100/1 not that I'm a betting man

I would have thought the handshake issue was a simple one

You're dragging your opponent into something by refusing a handshake

It's unfair

And If a significant number protest? As in millions?

Hope Novak does it. Only age will defeat him I think. Some of the points he wins, only he can win those points. It's incredible.

Very sad we're reaching the end of Nadal, Fed, Djokovic and Murray though. Kinda hard to believe that Federer/Nadal final was in 08. The sound of the ball striking was incredible. Unlikely to ever see a match with ball striking like it again imo.

I don't watch much tennis and have seen next to nothing of Alcaraz but he must be good if he's only 20. The others I've seen don't look special at all.

It seems to be a golden generation across many sports and the next generation aren't as good. I wonder if social media has impacted it? Most of these generational talents spent all their time improving as kids. Will a 13 year old today be playing tennis all day or will they be on tiktok?

Djokovic has squeezed that bit extra out of his body and mind and avoided debilitating injuries

Have to admire it as he was a tier below fed and Nadal in the early days

He's going to have all the records by the time he retires

• Advertisement

They would, more than likely, be ignored...at best. But in a country like Russia, I'd wager the state's response would be far harsher.

You may have missed it, but millions marched in protest against the Iraq war 20 year ago and it did nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

As part of the pre-match fluff the other day, they showed a clip of Alcaraz and Rune playing doubles together as 12-year olds - apart from the fact that they were pint sized, there wasn't a whole lot of difference between that and watching them today!

I think if you're going to be that good, TikTok will be waaaay down your list.

What would have happened if players had refused handshakes over Iraq

There'd probably be uproar

I could well be wrong, I hope I am. I want to see the next all time greats coming through.

But I see the same in other sports. The greatest, those who did things you can't believe and dominated those around them, are nearing the end or are finished and the next generation, they might be really really good, but they're not in the same league as the greats.

Soccer: Mbappe and Haaland are unreal but they've got nothing on Messi and Ronaldo

Golf: No one similar to Tiger at present.

Snooker: No one similar to Ronnie O'Sullivan at present

100m sprints: No one similar to Usain Bolt

We have a difference of opinion whether citizens of Russia and Belarus have any blame in the war in Ukraine. We should leave it there as this about tennis.

There's always generational talents coming along

It takes time most of who you named are just the one-offs

In motorsport you've marq Marquez and now Pedro Acosta is coming up

2hr barrier will be broken in marathon

Who's to say where haaland will end up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭Augme

All time greats aren't always going to come through that often though, hence the reason they are all time greats. No one in the history golf has reached the level of Tigerz, expecting someone to come along at that level straight after him is a bit much. In tennis we've been blessed with Rafa, Nadal and Federer coming along all at once. I'll surprised if Alcarez doesn't win at least 14 grand slam titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Alcaraz might well win 14 slams or possibly get similar numbers to the big 3, but, that won't necessarily make him as good as them. The big three had to deal with at least one of the other big three, plus Murray, Wawrinka, Del Potro etc. The strength of the field today is quite low, the likes of Tsitsipas, Medvedev, Zverev aren't even up to Wawrinka or Del Potro's level. Sometimes the numbers on their own don't tell the full story, there needs to be some context, like the strength of the field etc. It's also true that players can only beat the opposition in front of them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Musicrules

No need to include Murray in that. There was the big 3 and then massive gap to Murray/Wawrinka.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭Augme

My point is that expecting greatest of all time talents to emerge ever 10-15 years in a sport is a bit bizarre aa it defeats the purpose of greatest of all time. While Alcaraz likely won't be as good as them he is a generational talent and an exceptional player.

I just setting the bar for every tennis player to be in the same level as Novak, Nadal and Federrer forever more and if they aren't then they are failures or aren't that good is a bit OTT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,706 ✭✭✭✭josip

What a backhand dig from Djokovic to save break point in that game.

Sinner embarrassing himself with the fist pumping

As if would affect Djokovic in any way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I agree, but you can be sure if Alcarez were to get up to Djokovic numbers, some would hail him better than any of the big 3 ( there's some in the media almost insinuating this already). I don't think we'll ever see a player, play at a similar level to the big 3 in each of there prime, let alone get 3 together again. Imagine if they came at different times, their numbers would be astronomical, ( similar to Djokovic over the last couple years)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

Sinner such a fecking moan. Grass is the same for both, change your bloody shoes if it's too slippy.

Hopefully Novak wraps this up 3-0.

Also, that hinderance call was hilarious. No warning, straight to a point deduction. Clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭tinpib

Superb heel turn by Djokovic here, generating heat from the crowd like a prime Ric Flair.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'm 45 mins behind watching, so not reading any other comments.....

But on an O/T note, in the break between sets - does anyone else find it really odd the way Djoko's wife and son are in the box but they're like complete strangers - there's absolutely zero interaction between them. They've both gone out at different times, never together. Not just this match either.

I think that's just bizarre!

It's a long way back for Sinner from here - he's had a few break points which is more than most other players have managed. Think he needs to get this set to a tie break and hope for a lucky break there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

Novak even spotting the moaning and crying from Sinner. Brilliant stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Djokovic is building up Slams last few years because he is playing opposition that miss the most basic of shots (into the net, miles outside baseline). Obviously there are concentration issues with the modern players coming up. Sad really. Djokovic doesn't win, his opponent loses.

And that's why he's a great champion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭forumdedum

He is playing a lot of poor opposition for a few years now. It's easy to let your opponent hand you points gift wrapped

Advertisement