Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon 2023

Options
  • 02-07-2023 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭

Surprised there isn't a thread already given it's starting tomorrow.

On the mens side it is very difficult to see past Novak, next best is Alcaraz. Krgios is an interesting one. He played very little tennis and has a brutal draw. Potential could face Rublev in the third round, Bublik or FAA in the 4th and then Novak in the quarters. If he makes it to the quarters he might cause a shock though, he's one of the few players who has the game to do it. Jannik Sinner was two sets up against Novak last year and lost, he's shown nothing in the last year that would make me thing the result would be any different if he went two sets up again. Lost a five setter to Alcaraz in the US and a five setter to Altmaier in the French. I question his mental toughness.

Really hard to see anyone else on the mens side having much of a chance.

Now the women's I think looks much more interesting. Sabalenka, Swiatek and Rybakina should all be strong and ons Jabeur is in the mix too. Swiatek not really shown a huge amount on grass but she's definitely got the talent to win.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Augme

Kyrgios withdraws due to injury. The mens draw has gotten even more boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Can't see past Djokovic unless he gets injured, even then he'd still probably win, there really isn't any serious challenger out there, maybe Alcaraz , but, don't think so. We'll be fed the same BS that Djokovic is playing better than ever, when we all know he isn't and the opposition is weak. The only thing that would make the men's side interesting is if Djokovic had a shock defeat ( yes, I know it would be a shock if he lost in any match including the final).

The women's is much more interesting, very hard to predict, would love Rybakina to win it again as she got absolutely no credit for winning it last year, and she has a great chance, but, wouldn't be surprised if she had an early exit either. Swiatek is not great on grass, also had to withdraw on Friday due to illnes, so not great preparations, could well struggle in the early rounds. Sabalenka and Jabeur most likely of the rest but, there's always one or two outsiders that make a run to the semi final or final. Will be much more exciting that the mens side.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I can't stand the guy to be honest.. might be a good player, but really there's only so much obnoxiousness I can handle before it starts to grate.

Isner match coming up... I love these matches, go on hours.. loads of aces too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,811 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

A right thumping match going on between Swiatek and Zhu (mostly by Swiatek, in fairness, but Zhu well able to hammer it as well!)

I love that Iga still has the small Ukraine ribbon on her hat every game, every tournament, and wonder why not a single other player (the I've seen anyway) wears one any more.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Djokovic always seems to get a really easy draws in the slams. Even Nadal seems to get slightly tougher draws.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't say I'm his number one fan either but it's hard to argue against his ability. I'd much prefer to watch Kgrios vs Rublev in the third round then Rublev vs whoever he'll play now. In a tournament that really lacks quality having one of the best grass players missing out is a disapppintmnet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

How the fook is it taking so long to restart the Djokovic match. It took them longer to get court no. 1 covered and closed and they had them back out and done before these even looked at the court.

I get they want to protect the main draw, but what's the point if they're not treating the other show court and players with the same respect

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Totally ridiculous how long that took. Obviously his swami told him to watch for slippery grass.....

• Registered Users Posts: 31,849 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Watched some of the Ruud match was expecting him to romp home after that first set but one set all, id say Ruud will kick it up a notch in this third set.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭tiegan

I know it is on the BBC but what are the viewing options for Ireland, I have discovery plus and amazon prime, but cannot find it on either -

• Advertisement

I'd say it'll pitch up on Eurosport at some stage

ETA although all I can see for this week is a highlights programme every day at 10pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

It's on Premier Sports this year, I think BBC was the only way to watch it last year. You can get Premier Sports on the Sports Extra package with Now TV, check the thread on Now TV in bargain alerts here for a discount code as you pretty much never have to pay full price for it.

Gauff and Felix Auger Aliassime both looking in bother.

Felix Auger Aliassime gone, Fritz also 2-1 down...

Gauff gone!

Fritz match into a 5th set.

FAA looked promising a few seasons ago, but, seems to have regressed badly, seems to be a very common theme among emerging players

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Venus Williams was genuinely embarrassing to watch yesterday, I know she's a great player but really wish she'd retire now or go play doubles if she still wants to play.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Not good from Venus to refuse the handshake with the umpire yesterday, I think she should know better than that at this stage of her career.

Gauff-Kenin was an enjoyable scrap, happy for Kenin to get a decent win after spending much of the last few years in the wilderness. Hope she can keep it going.

I only saw bits of the Gauff-Kenin match, but it was a very hard watch - Kenin was like a tightly-coiled spring - is she always that wound up?

The frantic pacing, and yelling "come on" after every single point (no matter who won them) - not an enjoyable game for me.

I had seen Gauff get the second set, and hoped she'd go on to win - she's one of the current players I most enjoy watching (although she brings her own stresses when she's not in top form!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

You'd have to question the hunger and motivation of some of these young, emerging talents. With the money involved now, you can be a multi-millionaire by hanging around the top 50. Obviously, in the grander scheme, being in the worlds top 50 is a remarkable achievement, but we all know that it's fine margins that separate the top 4/5 from the rest and I'd question if some of these younger players have the appetite and determination to put in the work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭jonnreeks

Anyone know the price of strawberry & ice cream on sale at Wimbledon this year?

They say that the price of strawberries has remained fixed at £2.50 since 2010!

Anyone able to advise or had experience of same!

Uncomfortable watching Alcaraz make mincemeat of that poor French fella - at least he has the grace to smile occasionally as he's being obliterated!

Have resorted to the Rybakina match instead.

In other news, are there any players in this year's tournament not held together with rolls of duct tape???

Do you mean play wise?

In fairness she was doing ok until struggling with injury in that first set. But yeah I agree she has a horrible attitude on court, probably should just finish up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Anyone doing any Wimbledon 'investments'? I'm on a Sky Bet request-a-bet of Djokovic, Alcaraz, Medvedev & Sinner all to reach the semi-finals @ 28/1

God, but Dan Evans is a fierce dislikeable character.

Delighted to see Jabeur through with ease - with Gauff gone, I'm pinning my hopes on her this year!

ETA - ah feck, I hoped he was a goner!

He is a goner now. Ever since he shat all the dtandard of British tennis he's seems to have imploded a bit. He wasn't wrong in his assessment though.

Tsitsipas scraping through in 5th set tiebreak against Thiem.

Korda looking to be on way out.

Korea talked himself up as one of the favourites for Wimbledon. Embarrassing. Andy Murray is currently the 4th favourite to win the title. Really doesn't say much for the mens game.

A diminutive Italian girl putting it up to Kvitova.

She looks about 12! In in this day of mostly 6' amazons, it's so unusual to see someone that small - but she's got some spirit!! Great to watch.

• Advertisement

Last I looked he was 6th favourite along with Tsitsipas, which probably is higher than he deserves, the fact there aren't really that many below him in the betting that I'd actually put above him is a sad indictment of the men's game at the moment. Tbh I wouldn't give Murray a snowballs chance in hell of winning it and expect Tsitsipas to beat him next day out. It's very hard to see where any decent challenge to Djokovic will come from. Imagine if Djokovic wasn't playing, the media would be hailing someone else, probably Alcaraz, as better than the big 3. At least Djokovic, while way below his peak is still playing at a reasonably high level.

Advertisement