Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon 2023

Options
1212223242527»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Djokovic is usually considered the better mover in these match-ups but he was bested there. Time and again he didn’t even bother going for Alcaraz’s drop shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

He mightn’t have to beat Alcaraz to win Wimbledon, and he didn’t struggle that much to get to the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Whether he was right or wrong isn't the point. It made him more unpopular is the point and that it certainly did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Djokovic just turned 36 in May, so I reckon if he remains injury free he has at least 2 more years where he will be favourite with Alcaraz to win Wimbledon, Federer was just shy of 38 in 2019 and even in 2021 just shy of 40 and clearly injured reached the QF, so Djokovic has a few more years yet depending on injuries of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

I had mistakenly thought Djokovic had already equalled federers Wimbledon record

Could be a while before that's broken if Djokovic doesn't come back from this

• Advertisement

Djokovic could still equal or break it, but, he'd really need to win next year to have a chance of breaking it. Outside of Djokovic, Alcaraz wouldn't really have any serious challenger for the next few years, let's say he stays relatively injury free and plays until 35, unless a few emerge to seriously challenge him, he could very well have a great shot at breaking that record. Federer had Nadal, Djokovic and Murray to deal with, once Djokovic goes, Alcaraz won't have much to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

People keep saying Alcaraz will have nobody to beat. He's 20, his greatest rivals could well be 16-18 right now and nowhere near the tour yet. There is a long way to go for him yet and we've no idea what is going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I hate to see players gesturing to spectators seeking vocal support. It is without precedent at Wimbledon until this year's tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Me too.

Another thing that annoys me is the growing dependence on "their box". Every single point, good or bad, they look straight up to the box, it's like they can no longer play without affirmation from their team every 30 seconds - what ever happened to a player going out on court and just playing their game, and having to deal with whatever happens as best they can?

I was interested to hear Ivan Lendl saying early on in Wimbledon that he thought the courtside coaching being allowed was bullshít - he said the players should be able to just go and play their game - but I suppose the fact that it was happening anyway, in all but name, influenced the decision.

Could well be, but, it's taken about 15 years for a guy like Alcaraz to come through, all between him and Djokovic age wise weren't up to that level, so many false dawns like Tsitsipas, Zverev and even Medvedev ( I know he has 1 slam). Even if his next challenger is 16 now, it'll take him about 5 years to challenge Alcaraz, who at that stage could well have 4/5 Wimbledons won by then. Of the players similar in age, Rune and Sinner look a level below Alcaraz right now, they might improve, but, over the next 3/4 years a declining Djokovic looks to be his main threat, unless the aforementioned next gen guys ( Zverev, Tsitsipas, Medvedev) finally step up now that they see Djokovic is in fact beatable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭newmember2

I thought this was the wrong shot choice many times in the final against Djokovic. Think Alcatraz lost more points with it than won. :pac

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I thought so too at the start - he missed more than he made, and Djokovic was lightning fast in reaction to most of them in fairness to him - but in hindsight I think it was just another unpredictable thing that kept Djokovic guessing and got into his head. Alcaraz just didn't play only the usual power game that ND is used to and I think it contributed to the melting of his head on the day.

His ability to disguise the drop shots is incredible, and he's usually a lot more reliable at them - I was delighted that he persisted on the day, they are a thing of beauty to watch, never mind being a fierce defensive weapon.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

The drop shots drained a lot of ND's energy as well. Even if Alcaraz missed they usually looked close, making him run either way.

Advertisement