Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,197 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Eubanks now up two sets to one, amazing stuff he is projected to be in world top 20 if he wins this!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭Augme

I'm not sure what exactly people where expecting of Rublev, but he's never been a brilliant talent or ever really been considered to have huge potential either. He's a solid tennis player and that's pretty much ceiling. If he ever gets to Slam final he'll be playing above his station. Bit strange that people think he should be topplonging Novak and the reason he can't is because "pressure". It not, it's the simple fact that he lacks talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Jabeur.

I don't know how Rybakina managed to lose that match today. She played faultlessly until the mid-point of the second set before having a meltdown. A disappointment not defending her crown.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

He's making Medvedev look positively tortoise-like....Although his 50 second service game was something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

No British players banned when they invaded Iraq

West is good east is bad

• Advertisement

Eubanks crumbled in that 5th set, he looked tired at the end a shame, but he hit so many winners in that match! Brilliant tournament for him.

Alcaraz still looking like the only one who can topple Djokovic

• Registered Users Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

For two scrawny guys, Eubanks and Medvedev were both absolute monsters on their serves

• Registered Users Posts: 17,702 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Are the two semi finals on at the same time? Crazy that they don't space them out so people can watch them.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

They won't be on at same time , they just haven't decided what's goin on first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I don't think anyone expected him to be Djokovic, but, I felt he did better than expected. He's a well established top 8 player at this stage and has been as high as number 5, so getting to a slam semi final or final shouldn't be out of the question, players with much lower rankings have reached semi finals and finals. Any top 8 player really should have a realistic chance of making a slam semi final (once they avoid Djokovic). Don't think anyone thinks he can win a slam.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 17 raddoc

Jabeur and Medvedev should join forces and design a line of comfortable underwear.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Medvedev beasts Eubanks but he wasn't playing particularly well (for him). Messed up a lot of drop shots. Some amazing serving though.

Was it my imagination but the BBC commentators spent the whole match gushing over Eubanks which all struck me as a bit biased and unfair.

Another thing, is this total number of winners stat as significant a stat as being made out?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

It's the Sky generation, everything has to be a record........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

I know what you mean they both look pretty scrawny, but then again a number of the top tennis players are thin and gangly Eubanks 6 foot 7 and Medvedev 6 foot 6!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Shooting from the hip :

Alcarez is boring to watch

Wimbledon is arrogant stating they may not change scheding next year

• Registered Users Posts: 28,863 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I really wish the BBC would learn about spoiler alerts (or just shut up altogether about other matches on at the same time).

I had to miss the two second matches on centre and no.1 today - had set both to record and was looking forward to an evening catching up. I'd avoided all social media, and the sports headlines on the radio - but every fecking changeover during the Alcaraz match they had to go without warning to the other court. I managed to switch most times in time, but still heard/ saw enough to ruin the suspense for me. 😡

Their scheduling/programming throughout really has been the pits. Chopping and changing wildly between channels makes it almost impossible to record matches, and to avoid spoilers.

I gather from comments above though that it might be worth watching some of the recording anyway?

See I have this image of a serve-and-volley machine as somebody like Philippoussis or Roddick but a lot of the master of the art like Edberg and McEnroe weren't that sort of specimen...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

If Sabalenka makes the final then she's the new World #1. Some career turnaround after previously struggling at the grand slams. Has also made the SF's of the last four grand slams she's entered dating back to last year's US Open.

Would love her to win it all now, but she'll be up against it if she makes the final and has to play Svitolina. The crowd will be very much on the Ukrainian's side, and don't think they'll be shy about it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

100% agree, they constant switching from one channel to the next and having to record both BBC channels to make sure you don't miss something has been a pain.Then the drawn out introductions when play is ongoing is just really poor.

Its a real pity the way the womens draw worked out with Rybakina, Jabeur and Sabalenka all in the one side of the draw, would have been better if they could have been kept apart for longer as they're probably the 3 best players on grass out there (Swiatek looks really uncomfortable on grass).

Love to see Sabalenka or Jabeur win it as it would keep up the current good run womens tennis is having of having the top players splitting the grand slams between them and rivalries developing between them all because of this.

They are getting worse every year. Their iPlayer offering has been awful as well, so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I've always found the BBC are usually fairly biased towards one player over another, obviously biased towards the British, which is understandable if annoying. It was similar for the Jabeur- Rybakina match today, constantly gushing about Jabeur and they were the same before last years final, it was obvious in the final last year that they would have preferred Jabeur to win and gave Rybakina very little credit for winning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,701 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I think Sinner beats Nole

I predict he'll get himself into a position to beat him, set and a break up and then fall apart and lose in 4 sets.

I'd love to think Sinner could take it to Djoko, he did after all take the first two sets off him last year. But honestly, think 3-0 to Djokovic is more likely than any form of a Sinner victory. Obviously, I hope I'm wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I was giving out about this yesterday too.

Especially in today's world where all the matches are broadcast in some shape or form it's easy enough to flick to another match if that's what you want to do. BBC doing it for us is a pain in the hoop.

I too was out so was recording all matches in the end I didn't bother with the sabalenka match as I'd seen her being interviewed, so knew she won (cheers BBC) I had caught the first set and didn't see too much competition from keys.

I knew the eubanks match had gone 5 sets (cheers BBC) but I didn't know the end result. I'm glad I watched the full match though as I think eubanks is one to watch. His fifth set was poor, I think he has probably learned a lot from the competition which will stand to him.

As an aside, does eubanks facial expressions remind anyone else of the YouTube dude that rips the pi$$ out of other YouTubers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I haven't seen many medvedev matches but I don't think he's the most interesting player from what I've seen. He is very much "business mode" which is fair enough.

Eubanks however has a warmth to him. Comes across as the type of guy you could have a decent chat with (not just tennis) , he engages the crowd and comes across good natured and a bit of fun.

He's also new, new always gets attention.

Advertisement