Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell (of depth and duration uncertain!) starting Tuesday 7th March

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭BrandonBay86

I think all the weather warning whingers in north Leinster will be eating their words in the morning, about 30m right at coastal Meath and now turning white. If it freezes overnight it’ll be lethal. Met pretty spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

Clonsilla, Dublin 15

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭BrandonBay86

Surely Gonzo it’s white there by now ! About 20km east of you !

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

Moderate snow and 0C reported on MEat Casement at 2am.

Ongar, D15 completely covered with a coating of snow now on all the roads/paths/grass/roofs etc. It was worth staying up for!

ME got it pretty much right for east coast/Dublin saying it would be after midnight before we saw orange alert attributes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Wooo bucketing down and sticking in D14 ! :) 0.9c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Firhouse Currently

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Well to be fair, I got discontent as the snow seemed to get as far Meath (besides Gonzo of course) many hours ago and seemed to stop in its tracks. We still had mostly rain and sleet here till 30 or so minutes ago. It’s a remarkable turnaround, fully covered out there in rapid time.

The woeful radar performance didn’t help either. Looked like the front was dying a death earlier and it wasn’t going happen. Netweather radar has it clear over Dublin for e.g now and it’s pelting down. If this is the intensity for a few hours then maybe those ECM charts will make a comeback ;).

All in all, good stuff by MetE regard the East coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Settling nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Snowing heavily in Dublin city centre and sticking to everything apart from treated roads so far. Otherwise about a 1cm coating for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 AvalonEnaid

Good amount of snowfall here in Ashbourne Co. Meath

• Advertisement

Snow turning somewhat lighter in central Dublin, radar is not very helpful but I imagine 2cm covering is locked in for the morning throughout Dublin. The airport TAF wouldn't inspire confidence that Dublin Airport is sufficiently prepared. Major question now is how much the front follows through moving southwards, there's a lot of activity up north.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭scouse1990

Inland Just outside Balbriggan North County Dublin, blanket of snow and starting to freeze. Could be lethal on the roads.

Not looking forward to the school run!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Snow is cool. Enjoy it!

Where I live, there is snow on the ground from early December til late March. We tend to forget how green things were after all these months of ice and snow. My driveway is a long patch of ice and snow, my lawn is covered in two feet of hard packed white stuff and black hardened slush from the city snowblowers. Snow is cool alright.

My big poodle loves the snow, she is tough, playing ball in all kinds of weather. The summer heat is harder on her than the bitter cold, though.

The cold and dry air being modified further through the westerly component out Atlantic-wards is cutting off more snowfall for many places by the looks of things. But the outcome is a pretty widespread snow cover over the urban east coast north of Bray. I'm not sure why there was no PROB 40% notice in Dublin Airport's short term weather forecast for snow instead of sleet... Maybe there's operational reasons but it's very important in marginal conditions to alert pilots to operational risks. It's not the first time I've seen Dublin Airport optimistically report airfield conditions at the time of a forecast

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Rougies

It does look like a reload of precip for the Dublin area looking at radar. About 2-3cm here in D.16, although it is definitely of the wetter variety. I think without the initial heavy burst we'd be struggling to get any cover at all. Light snizzle for now. EDIT: make that moderate fluffy stuff, topping up a bit. Nice to see.

EDIT2:, nah it actually melting faster than it's accumulating, just a 2cm sloppy mess for anybody waking up in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Bucketing down heavy in Greystones but it's very wet snow and beyond an initial thin covering, it doesn't seem to be building much.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Proper snow at the moment. Alas not much longer but worth staying up for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Haven't gotten up yet but I can hear a neighbour struggling to drive on the covering of frozen slush here in Galway, driving to work will be very interesting.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Woke up to a whiteout in Newtownmountkennedy

• Registered Users Posts: 17,788 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Light layer of snow on the ground here in Naas, just enough to ensure the untreated roads will be lethal.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

Damp squid in Carlow Town, no snow no frost

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

A decent blanket in Dublin 1.

the paths are horrible too walk on,mainly slushy.if it freezes it would be dangerous.

not too cold though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭ballyargus

A thin veil of it in Greystones. Fairly wet and sludgy looking. I wonder what the roads are like

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Not a single drop of snow here in D13. Oh well off to the office I go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

God covering in swords but looks to be melting already.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Oide2010

2-3 inches here in highest parts of D16 and still falling but just tiny flakes falling lightly now.

Edited to add: flakes getting bigger again as I type!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Some snow on the cars, but no accumulation on the roads or grass in Lucan. Just wet and cold here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭rameire

D15 Clonee.

Can feel it melting already.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Just been out and we finished up with just short of 5 inches of snow here in my area of meath (Rathkenny)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Duvet Day

It's a cold,dry, crisp morning in Cork city, I'm amazed that there's no frost or ice, roads perfect .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement