Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell (of depth and duration uncertain!) starting Tuesday 7th March

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Can you point the scaremongering out?

I actually thought they were being very true to what happened and very sure to say that it would not be everywhere and quite calm in the reporting and forecasting (especially compared with british tabloids)

There was a fair whack of snowfall overnight and yesterday morning. It caused some delays on the M7, M4, M3, M2 and many regional roads - mainly while it was falling.

From reading and listening, I think they called this well and quite accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Eh, I can't read weather maps. At all. At all, at all. Kermit, GL, SRyanBruen and co are genuine amateur meteorologists. I am to Kermit what James McLean is to Leo Messi. But thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,847 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Spot the horses...

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Periscal

Is there anyone on this fórum in to low temperature observations? I for long had this hobby and never got a chance executing this hobby in Ireland because there is litteraly no interest in it from other people. I have had this location eyed for many years - Manor Kilbride in co.Wicklow. We have been doing a lot of research in cold air pooling and I see enormous potential in finding coldest place there in Ireland and I argue we can smash Sligo All time minima. My friend living there sent me picture/video today and I can see doline meadows with Snow cover and hills facing from all directions. This on fresh snow if there is clear night can go below -10°C. Just out of curiosity,anyone else like this research?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Best shot I've seen. Can't believe that's Dublin (if higher ground) in March.

Not even a hint of a dusting here at my home location in Dublin 13 this morning. Had a nice sleep after an active chase day yesterday so jealous of those that got something decent this morning but happy for you. Would have been off to the mountains again very early had I known it was going to be this good 🤣

Anyway, I'm happy enough (how could I not be?) with what I experienced yesterday and I would say I'm ready for spring/summer but I've been that way since the December spell!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Squiggle

There was an orange warning for Co. Wexford last night. No snow at all where I am so that, for me, is spectacularly inaccurate. Gerry Murphy was on the 6 o clock news and was specific about the snow in the east after midnight. Twice , earlier this week, there were yellow warnings for ice and there was none where I am in Wexford. Met Eireann got it badly wrong for at least parts of Wexford this week.

Its amazing the spread of weather you guys got / get in Dublin considering, as a county (not city obviously), it is pretty small (just looking, County Cork is over 8 times bigger - 7,500 Sq Km to 922 Sq Km). I suppose its the mountains and the sea all being in such proximity.

Yesterday never held any promise for down here but we really should have had some lying snow on one of the two previous nights, especially Wed night when we had a yellow warning for Cork / Kerry. Ultimately we had hours of sleet mixed with wet snow and rain (and Cork airport accordingly recorded hours of snow) but nothing stuck save in north county Cork (saw some good snow pics from places like Kanturk - but to give context Cork city is to Kanturk what Trim or Monasterevin are to Dublin city).

I have yet to see snow lying, even on our garden trampoline (first place snow sticks!), yet in the winter of 22/23 and hardly will now. We moved into our current house in 2017 and pretty sure that's a first. Surprising because with the notable cold in December, and this spell, we had far better chances this year than other years.

Anyway, I'm ready for spring now.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Robwindstorm

Delighted you got snow Gonzo after a long wait. Can't believe I got so much, up to 4 inches. Melting slowly now in sunshine. Great photos everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Mweelra mountains and Sheefry hills this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

We got a decent full white out covering before I went to bed last night at about 2am in Dublin 15/Clonsilla which is mostly melted now but I feel the snow we got on the night of December 8th last was heavier? Maybe it's because the temps were much lower and it lasted for days that it felt more significant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rolling boh

The conditions were not as hazardous as warranting headline news of course conditions required some caution but hearing about not making unnecessary journeys etc was way over the top in my opinion . I'll leave it at that .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

This could possibly be the first winter in a while that I have not had any lying snow in Cork, not even a trace amount. Sure snow fell, but none of it sticked at all! Love the photos guys, and congrats @sryanbruen on making sky news with your photo!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,390 ✭✭✭fletch

What's the current situation around Hellfire/Cruagh/Tibradden/Ticknock/Maulin/Djouce?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The reverse psychology approach seems to be working for Sryan. Maybe I should try it. Some brilliant photos in this thread . Thanks to everyone. Roll on spring :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭pauldry

Went for run in mountains so I could do this

I'll have the serious pictures later

This is not a week I will look back on fondly as a United fan based in Cork....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

I live in North wexford very close to the wicklow border and we had a light dusting yesterday morning and nothing until we had a snow shower at 7am this morning. They definitely got the orange warning very wrong for around here. Where I work in South wicklow had even less than we did. Event totally over hyped by the media in my opinion. We usually get snow but have had much more with less hysteria in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

Absolutely beautiful day in Clare. Temp 2c now. A very minor thaw so far.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

Yes you can. Your analysis was informative and entertaining. A worthy replacement for the frog on this event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

That your only having a minor thaw so far Is I'm sure down to the fact of a frosty night there last night which would have frozen the snow.

It's like you got the perfect set up for snow survival for March. A big dump of it followed by a very cold night later on with clear skies. Compared to my few cms with temperatures just getting slightly below zero for a while this morning ,needless to say most of which is gone now. Modern winter syndrome regards snow here, lying during the morning gone by lunchtime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Squiggle

I'm in the south west of Wexford and absolutely nothing. Was genuinely surprised that the orange warning was so inaccurate as Gerry Murphy was on the six one advising only essential travel, so how can they get it so wrong for 6 to 14 hours out?

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

One of those once in every 5-10 year snowfall events for me, Bill. Just in the right spot in a swimming pool of variables that could have gone the other way. Aprege is showing a cm or 2 for here overnight as the front moves in so I probably won;t be rid of the snow until sometime later on Sunday, even with the milder temps tomorrow afternoon and eve.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Nice heavy dumping of snow but the roads are all passable now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Nice photos Wolfe. On the subject of Aperge. This is what it gives to fall tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

WISH I could find the lead for my camera. The mountains here were truly magnificent but I cannot show the photos..

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Robwindstorm

The one thing I learned from this event was despite it being the 2nd week of march with quite high ground temps, persistent rain and sleet leaving the ground saturated all day, that a transition to snow from 7pm started to stick straight away and piled up to 4 inches of proper fluffy crunchy snow. The sun is strong here now today but there's still plenty lying snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭notwhoyouthink

All told, I think the forecasters did well. You could quibble as to whether Dublin should have been in the orange zone, but in the end there were accumulations, and at least people were on their guard so to speak.

Roads were grand this morning at 7am

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Agreed, I thought they were spot on. I was on the roads at 7am this morning in Galway and the country roads were lethal with black ice and compacted slush.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

As has been mentioned the drop in temperature by 1 0r 2 degrees makes all the difference between laying snow and continuous melting of it on impact. With this in mind If we had a temperature yesterday of 0 or hovering very close to it, instead of the 2 degrees we had all day, I probably would have gotten close to 10 cm of snow by the end of the fall. It snowed here for almost 12 hours, albeit not at the same intensity the whole time. I guess some places will always miss out-yesterday it was just my turn- its very rare that every where on the Island gets a covering snow. With this in mind, even back in late December 2010, snow blanketed most of the island, except for parts of Clare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Carol25

Abbey Hill, North Burren near Kinvara. Melting is well underway there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement