Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell (of depth and duration uncertain!) starting Tuesday 7th March

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭AnFearCeart

Winter only got mad when asked to leave because it was Spring's turn!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Turning more towards wet snow now, bit of slush on the window of the car. Looking at the radar there is only maybe an hour or 2 of precipitation left before it clears, will be lucky to even get 1cm of snow and that will be gone before sunrise unless it starts freezing as soon as the clouds clear.

All in all today has to be one of the most miserable days we've had since Christmas Day 2021 with the non ending rainfall since sunrise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭Mech1

Confirmation of that down the road a bit in D16 snow on cars and grass sticking, light snow sofar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Unless there's a biblical switchover to full blown unadulterated heavy snow by midnight in D9, will be signing out of this one. Appreciate the warning only kicks in then but only so much heavy rain I can witness this evening and we are still a a well way off settling snow here. Back to more rain than snow.

Seeing some great falls up round Monaghan from friends tonight. South of Belfast too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 beansie

Bucketing rain in Newtownmountkennedy. The wind is vicious too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

Dew points are almost a degree above freezing at Casement and Dublin Airport which would suggest wet snow more likely

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Trust me, you missed nothing in Galway but an enhanced version of the crap, miserable conditions you describe above. The longest lasting snow fall I have seen in years, yet the least amount actually settling! The most basic, bog standard Atlantic snow shower would have left more behind in less five minutes. On the crap scale. today was a pure 10 out of 10.

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I'm about to give up on tonight too, very underwhelming event in this area, still a rain and sleet mix going on outside, I've had enough of rain for today.

The models performed very poorly too particularly the ECM giving 10cm or more widely in this area and we can't even get a dusting. This is why I give up wishing for snow past final week of February. March is too late unless we get the -10 uppers to guarantee snow everywhere to low levels like March 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

Here in mid Co. Down around 6pm, been snowing since 1pm and hasn`t stopped yet..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

It was odd that I experienced heavier snow in the city, and that was where more slow did lie, normally the other way around in Galway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,821 ✭✭✭squonk

Yup. I’ve a place in skerries and often wondered how I managed to pick one of the areas least likely to get snow in NCD to live! Back in Clare I got snow earlier but I hope you get something but know it’s not easy given your location.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

Still snowing in Shercock co. cavan.

Just about made it home after work. Had to divert several times to stay on roads that I knew were flat.... not easy in these drumlin hills! The main roads are just as lethal as the byroads. Snow fell on wet roads, turned into compacted icy slush. The grit doesnt seem to have done anything. Can't see many schools opening tomorrow around here...

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

It's really only sleeting here now in Firhouse now..... gutted. Thought we would get something decent out of this but looks like a busted flush.....

However if this all freezes tonight roads will be lethal tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Not weather related. But first time I heard of Shercock Co Cavan. Childish of me, but Id hate to have to give my address to people they'd think I'm taking the mick. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭BrandonBay86

Hello nice to meet you, I’m Monkey Nut from Shercock 😂

Lashing rain for what I reckon is 24 hours now in East Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,970 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Dreadfully overhyped and inaccurate weather reporting. Its miserable but thats all.

Article in paper this morning asking what we can learn from Alaska, canada and scandinavia and how they deal with their weather.

Ffs we'd be better comparing ourselves to the maldives.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭notwhoyouthink

Yup, the Carlow weather guy got it totally wrong for Dublin at least…

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭odyboody

Weather reporting is usually pretty accurate because it happens during or after the events.

It's the forecast reporting that they go mad with. At the end of the day it's only a forecast and as such is just an educated prediction.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

The warning for Dublin is only in place 11 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭maebee

I just love this thread when we have a weather "event". It brings the whole country together. We have posters from every county in Ireland naming their county and added bonuses for those who name towns and townlands. I'm straight to google maps to see where these places are. I doubt that this happens in any other thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,698 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I am going to go with WolfeEire's idea( the window model) from now on,no matter what the models indicate and forecasters think. As you say the longest lasting snow fall in years, yet only patchy snow on the grass to show for it. So infuriating to think about what might have been if we had this in January or early February. I am looking towards summer now with a view to some intense thunderstorms at some stage, hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭snowgal

we at last got some of the white gold stuff here near Trim from about 945 after a day of cold shrain 😬⛄️ nothing mega but it’s white everywhere now which I thought would never happen an hour before! I know many disappointed but thems the breaks, might not be outside your door but plenty of ppl got the snow too… Gonzo must be max 20 mins away from me with nothing… anyway I’m happy to have seen blizzard like conditions tonight, good for my snowy heart ❤️ this time tomorrow all over…

Not much precipitation left the clear zone is already into western parts of Leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 8,821 ✭✭✭squonk

Look this was always going to be a marginal enough event. From my perspective, the models yesterday got it fairly tight but I didn’t believe them. I also assumed that we’d get snow on the back end but we didn’t get anything that stuck despite having conditions largely similar to last night. I’m sure with l a very accurate weather station at my location I’d be able to see why we just got sleet this evening but what can you do. It’s marginal so if you get snow, be thankful but nothing is guaranteed at this stage of the year.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

We've had snow almost non-stop since about 4pm here in South Longford. Briefly stopped but started again. Looks to continue for a couple hours more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

Light sleety snow here now in Waterford City but TBH not a whole lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I can still snow ❄️ in march , don't bother looking at summer it's far to early yet 🙃 but I also think we will have a hot one

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

I know winter has been 'officially' over now for 10 days, but honestly I hope this really is the end of the cold/bleak weather for awhile...

Not too worried about summer though, heading off to South Korea in June/July so hoping for a mix of monsoon's and reasonable heat. I would like to thank everyone for their contributions to this event, both good and bad for many and here's to many more exciting threads in the future :).

At least I can thank Winter 2022/23 for a real December snow event 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Dew points are 0 in South West Dublin (my closest station) snow on cars but not grass or anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭gipi

Snow in Drogheda for the past 45 mins or so, after a day of horrible rain and high winds. It's not sticking on the ground as yet, just dusting the cars white. If it freezes round here, it'll be fun getting out of the estate in the morning!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement