Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell (of depth and duration uncertain!) starting Tuesday 7th March

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Fairly chucking it down in Newbridge , road starting to get covered now

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Mostly snow here now, North County Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

It's been snow here in D14 for awhile, but it's all too blustery & light to stick to anything honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Still too much of a mix in my part of D14 unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭lolie

My sister near sent this about an hour ago, a few mile outside nobber in meath. Snowing steady for several hours now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

A few final photos taken just now before the inevitable drip drip kicks in tomorrow after what will be a very cold night in my part of Clare. 10cm exactly at 150m asl.

Started snowing at midnight last night and continued through to 11am. Had a three hour power cut today. Had sleet and ice pellets for about four hours to 3pm and then a transition back to snow which ended at around 9pm. This evening's snow was heavier than anything overnight. A location near me recorded 11.5cm but it is slightly higher elevated. That's the highest total I have heard of in Clare but anecdotally there were as big or higher totals on the higher summits in North Clare.

Would have to say that the models that verified for my location were predominantly the French models (Arome, arpege etc), the JMA and GEM. Delighted all the same to record a proper snowfall for the first time since March 2018. Cannot understand what went wrong with the forecast further north and east.

Thanks to @Rebelbrowser for setting up the thread. It was both infuriating (at times) and fun tracking this particular event since last week. 👍

www.x.com/wolfeeire

Cold wind from the north and east, and warm fronts from the Atlantic gives us snow, just like 1982.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭BrandonBay86

Stunning photos, looks like the surface of Mars !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,072 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

anyone up for more punishment next tues after the weekend warm up?

Clare (410ft asl)

Gable end night light doing the lighting effects there 😃

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Rougies

>Cannot understand what went wrong with the forecast further north and east.

Nothing went wrong. Exactly as forecast by models really. Anyone looking at ECM and GFS snow charts need to use this as a lesson, they are low-res models. Arome and Arpege high res models pretty much nailed it.

Clare (410ft asl)

The 528 dam line looks appetising in the context of an approaching Atlantic low into a northerly airmass. But no. I need to go into rehab after the last week of model watching. That said, there is a whiff of 'ninja' 🌨️ off next Tuesday

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

No no think I’ve had more than enough now- just want peace and tranquility in the weather

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Still snowing here..its white everywhere too now..hopefully lots more to fall but probably not based on the knowledgeable posters updates..still better than nothing.

South Meath near Trim

Measured 13cm of snow on the ground Ben Dash Co Clare at 230m elevation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

All snow and ice pellets now !

• Registered Users Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Look how wet that shyt is. It's like paper maché

• Registered Users Posts: 2 coady billy

Kermit am I wasting a good night's sleep I have curtain rash at this stage Dublin 24,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Ye I'm staying up for a while also in d24 , I'd say that warning will be removed by 4am by the looks of it , if it snows further for an hour or so I'd be happy 😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,926 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Snow has stopped, pretty clear.

Taken a short while ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭pauldry

Measured the snow outside and it measures 0cm.

Maybe Friday night Saturday morning might bring a snowy morning or Tuesday next. Still plenty more chances since temperatures are due to be cold a lot in the next month.

By the way my son threw a snow ball at me today. There was some on the bin from the sleet. When he hit me with it I acted like it had broken my bones and he burst out laughing so I did have fun with my 11 year old in the snow today despite there being no snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

Starting to stick/settle in Clonee/Dublin 15 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭BrandonBay86

Chucking it down with big flakes now at coastal Meath, ground wet but sticking to cars

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Proper snowing in firhouse will take pics in a few, another hour I'd say and the place will be completely white, already sticking to grass 😀

Light/Mod sonwfall North County Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭thomasj

Crazy ! Was out 2 hours ago and while it was snowing heavy , the place was saturated and didn't think it would stick .

Anyway 2 hours later and the place is winter wonderland and still coming down heavy !

Clonsilla Dublin 15!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Aye periodically chucking it down here in D9 too with proper snow. Sticking to all surfaces too. The slide south of the front is beginning so we will see how things go by morning. Shows we were damn close to a proper event tonight if we got a few hours extra. If we manage a full covering it will be a good rescue job considering some of us Dubs resignation earlier.

Belting don snow, trying to settle. Snooze you lose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Rougies

It's always the same. People don't have any patience and don't look at realistic model guidance.

Full on snow here now in D.16 accumulating over 24 hours of rain as predicted. Although I had my doubts in fairness!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement